Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Diesel primary filter inside tank blocking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
hzwart

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Diesel primary filter inside tank blocking

I had the misforture to remove my TDV6 diesel tank pump to clean the primary diesel filter in the pump assembly. (This is the second time it had to be cleaned, first time by LR now by me) After the ordeal, I concluded that this is a very bad design from LR. They could have made the filter larger compared to the diesel flow through the filter.

This is a big problem if the diesel supply is as dirty as we have it in South Africa. These filters will never last.

Did anyone else experiance the same problem?

Thank you
Mr. Green

Post #32503223rd Jul 2008 2:49 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

PM Heine I think he has a pre-filter installed which filters before the diesel goes into the tank - seem to remember a recent thread about it, might be worth doing a search for +Diesel +Filter
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #32503623rd Jul 2008 3:02 pm
Sandlover

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It's been quite a topic. I have a long history of issues. Here is another thread particularly on the filter.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic22941.html

Post #32505023rd Jul 2008 4:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

From abovementioned post

Got the filter from http://www.turboformance.co.za/index.html

About R500 iirc . Nice thing about it is that it stops the crap getting in the tank , but it is quite bulky and a bit slow . I beleive they have a new one with a quicker flow rate . (They might also be able to help you with inline filters)

Post #32506423rd Jul 2008 4:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Only problem I can see is where do you stow a great big stinky diesel funnel filter thing ?
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #32507123rd Jul 2008 5:06 pm
heine

Yup , luckily I have a roof rack - otherwise it is too big to fit in the car anywhere

Post #32512423rd Jul 2008 7:26 pm
hzwart

Hi

The filter I am refering to is installed inside the pump assembly. It is a small mesh type with a a cotten/fibre lining. The pump is directly attached to this small filter. Bottom line is that it seems to be able to filter to blow 100micro's. This filter is the first to get blocked. To try and replace it, you have to removed the fuel tank.

This is not a good design! Evil or Very Mad

After asking some questions, it seems that this is a commen problem in South Africa. All returned fuel is also recycled via the pump. Any dirt from pypes etc will first collect inside this filter.

Another problem is that diesel is and can get contaminated with paraffine. Not Good

Post #32526224th Jul 2008 8:31 am
heine

That is why I have gone the route of a filter funnel - the idea is to stop any dirt/water getting into the system at all . I beleive the same guys also sell a disel test kit which checks for parafine content etc .

Post #32526824th Jul 2008 8:43 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

London Lad wrote:
Only problem I can see is where do you stow a great big stinky diesel funnel filter thing ?

Our models here in SA do not have heater box in front of main battery - I store mine there wrapped in old cloth - makes it very interesting when crossing borders and police look into engine bay for engine number Rolling with laughter
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #32535224th Jul 2008 12:42 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

LOL
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #32536224th Jul 2008 1:11 pm
heine

Good idea - but that is where I have my dual battery

Post #32536724th Jul 2008 1:24 pm
Discoeast

hzwart,
Can you describe what you find in the tank filter.
Eg: grit (some sort of solid), rust, paint flakes or a gooey-snotty
don't touch it thingy.
From a PDF file I had down loaded from the forum, the pump
filter is rated @ 10 micron and refers to a by pass system in place.
Stating that it has secondary filter of 300 micron.
As you have removed, I assume, the pump assembly, have you
seen any of the above back up systems.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #32544924th Jul 2008 5:53 pm
hzwart

Hi Discoeast

The filter is attached to the bottom of the pump inside the pump assembly. The outside seems to be a very fine plastic/teflon type with a material lining on the inside. It is attached to the bottom of the pump via a press-on ring. The actual size is about 100mm x 50mm. Yes, when it is normallly contaminated, it is a " snotty" bag. When I washed it the contamination was very black soot crap. The symtoms of the car was that when the engine started to labour, the engine fault displayd on the LCD screed and not the engine fault light putting the car in limp mode. Big Cry

I have baught a new pump assembly and will try and take a photo of the filter. Thumbs Up as well as the old one.

What I have found out in this week was that LR will not sell this filter separately. You have to buy the whole pump assembly !!!!!!!!!!!! Censored

Post #32746331st Jul 2008 4:43 pm
Discoeast

hzwart,
The pic's will be great, please post them.
From what you describe there could be an algey( spelling Whistle ) problem.
So there could be a contaminated tank where you are filling up, some one
who does not sell high volumes for the algey to grow.
Worth checking out.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #3276091st Aug 2008 9:36 am
hzwart

Hi Discoeast

I came across your mesage where you installed a Racor filter. What model unit did you install. Looking at the complete setup, I am looking at putting two x2 micro filter units in parallel on the pressure side of the fuel line. If I can modify the existing filter to a pre filter only at 30 microns, then I should remove the pump inlet "stupit" filter Twisted Evil that is filtering at 31 micro and bypass 300 micro.

The intention is to be able to service these filters on a regular basis. Not so easy to remove the tank every time.
Whistle

I am also interested in the funnel filter you are using. The problem is that I do not fill at the same pump station and the fuel quality can never be guaranteed in SA. Big Cry

Thank you

Post #33413219th Aug 2008 4:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >