Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

sounds like 10,000 mice in my boot........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wo ping

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
sounds like 10,000 mice in my boot........

having spent the last 3 hours driving 200 yards. getting out unlocking / moving / repositioning / closing / driving / stopping / seats up / seat down / driving / etc etc etc etc

I've finally tracked down what sounds like a herd of gerbils at a S&M party in the boot. Shocked Shocked

it appears that there's a little play in both the upper and lower tailgates that now rub together on any surface other than a motorway.

does anyone know if the tension can be adjusted behind the covers or know of any other solution ??

cheers

Wo

Post #3397363rd Sep 2008 7:05 pm
innominate

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I think a bit of annual maintenance is needed. The advice hereabouts is to apply some silicone grease to the rubber stops so that they don't squeak any more. I didn't have any, and I wasn't near any scuba shops (which appear to be good places to find the stuff), so I used Vaseline. Thumbs Up Shocked
 Mark...  
Post #3397543rd Sep 2008 7:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chris ace

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I too had a squeaking noise and found that if i pushed the lower tailgate i could get it to squeak. I simply removed the small plastic trim covering the latch with a flat bladed screwdriver, be careful not to mark the cover loosened the latch and adjusted it slightly, i think it was 2 bolts to slacken and re tighten. Then adjust so the tailgate pulls in slightly tighter against the rubber seal, push the tailgate and the noise has gone. Try this, i think it will sort your problems, regards, Chris.

Post #3397643rd Sep 2008 8:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Vaseline worked a treat about 12 months ago, haven't heard the mice since....
No need to remove or adjust anything.

but funny how you searched for the problem... Rolling with laughter I remember doing the same thing Whistle
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #3398773rd Sep 2008 10:55 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Vinyl trim cleaner on the seals and rubber stops usually leaves enough silicone lubricant material on the surface to stop squeaks (and speed up electric window closure).
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #3398853rd Sep 2008 11:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >