Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

D4 2010 body roll & driving feel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Dboss

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

thanks LesPes, appreciate the feedback....
so they have done something then which might explain some of it.
Just feels sloppy/wallowey and feels sometime difficult to turn, like i have to put in too much effort to get around a corner.

So hard to explain on here, just dont feel right, also when cornering feels a little unstable.
 Loving my D4 HSE -MY10......!!!!  
Post #143509628th Feb 2015 11:06 pm
Ian Donkin

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Our '60 plate with 57k was sloppy compared to the newer loaners we were getting (not a Stratstone car by the way) and it remained sloppy even after (dealer paid for) front lower arms, even if it was then less directionally challenged.

Next fault was the compressor on ours and since this was replaced, it has really been quite good. I'd expected the shocks to be weaker with 50k on than new, so the body to be not as well damped (well the wheels actually), but it has felt notably better just with the new compressor.

The only downside to better reliability is that I don't get free courtesy washes ever week or two now!

Don't get disheartened yet - you will love it when it's sorted Thumbs Up

Post #14351351st Mar 2015 12:17 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Dboss wrote:
L319 wrote:
If wheel alignment is out, it can make a significant difference.

Would I notice other symptoms of wheel alignment?

Yes, exactly what you are experiencing, followed by excessive tyre wear.
The lower steering column is exactly that, the lower steering column, it has a universal joint at the bottom and is connected with two clamp bolts top and bottom, the universal joint is prone to wear and/or sieze, the clamps are also prone to wear, this will cause the stearing to tram line, wonder off course and be stiff if partially seized, takes about 30 mins to change and costs about £70. The UJ can be lubricated but this may make matters worse as lubrication washes the dirt out and creates more play.
Wear on the rear suspension bushes will also cause the vehicle to feel unstable, as will uneven tyre wear.
From what you discribed there is definately something wrong.
Try holding the steering wheel the fore finger and thumb of one hand, with the engine running very very lightly wobble the steering wheel, if there is more than 2-3 mm of movement you have excessive wear somewhere on the linkage which includes the lower column, if there is any unevenness it points to the Lower SC UJ.
Jack both front wheels up clear of the ground and turn the steering wheel with one finger, it should turn lock to lock freely and smoothly without any resistance, if there is any unevenness it points to the LSC UJ.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #14356681st Mar 2015 9:12 pm
Dboss

wow thank you M3DPO thats a very useful reply.

The car has been rebooked in with Stratstone on Monday and they have assigned a technician to come out with me on a drive of the car. they have also got a 10 plate with same mileage on so I can compare just to make sure I'm not imagining things ( I asked for that). But the more comments I get on here relating to my description then clearly what I'm describing is possible and symptons logical with common causes.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome of the visit.

Any tips on approach with their technician most welcome. Likely will be out driving with him alone so time for some good pointed questions I think, so if anyone has any good revealing questions I can ask then let me know.

Just one other point, when I accelerate away from a junction i press accelerator there a momentary delay, revs finally rise and then around 1500rpm the car noticeably finds a gear and moves off. I've driven automatics for last 5 years, never experienced that. Is this common on a D4, or have I got yet more problems.

Having just spent a lot of money to buy the car, I'm getting concerned that I've got myself a duff one!! Crying or Very sad

cheers everyone.
Post #14373624th Mar 2015 10:19 pm
Captain Slog

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Yes the hesitation you describe is exactly what I used to get frequently but now (after the megaflush) less often and less severe, HTH.
 2010 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand on GY DTs (was on GG ATs)  
Post #14373724th Mar 2015 10:26 pm
Dboss

hi - what the heck is a megaflush...!! lol or shouldn't I ask Very Happy
Post #14380695th Mar 2015 11:40 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

A megaflush is having all of the oil in the gearbox flushed. I am currently looking into getting mine done and have just been quoted £450.

Lots of the site sponsors on here offer this service so if one of them is local they will be able to do this for you.
 Andy

Post #14381126th Mar 2015 7:12 am
Dboss

well went to stratstone today and went out with their techie Chris... as is typical I couldn't easily recreate the symptoms I get.....

Body roll....
they felt that the body roll I was experiencing was fairly normal, although when i drove their similar car it seemed a lot more stable. When cornering yes it body rolled but didn't seem to wallow through the corner. The only way I could describe it is when cornering it was like the car was more wallowing through the corner, almost boat like. Its not exaggerated but noticeable to me.... there is indication it could be the feathering of the tyres causing the car to skip in cornering...! but to be honest i felt it even just on a straight road with undulations, almost like the suspension was bouncing more than it should.
I asked about the front arms and bushes and he indicated that if they were gone you would notice when pulling to a stop as the nose would bounce more and possibly get a knocking sound. As I was not getting that - they would assume the bushes and arms are fine....

they're gonna see if there are any updates for the car and possibly change the tyres...

Gear Box
The vibration when in drive and stationary was definitely not normal and they will check that.
the pulsing sound I sometimes get when stationary, didn't show itself, so still no explanation.

On the Gear changes he mentioned that the car learns driving style and therefore if not reset for a new owner gear changes and driving styles memorized by the car from the previous owner may not suit my style. he suggested they reset that so the car selects gears better suited to my driving style.... new one on me didn't know the car does that.. so we will see.

re-booked in with them for next week...
gear box items I expect to be resolved.
suspension/wallow/soggy feeling I don't expect will get easily solved... I think they think I'm nuts and the car is fine and normal and I'm expecting too much from a large car.
maybe the new tyres and checks on the compressor and suspension will reveal something but I'm not holding my breath....

Anyone got any ideas where I can get an independent view from, someone with an unbiased report on the drive and suspension, even if I gotta pay for it, someone who knows Discoveries and can tell me if this si all in my head....

cheers all for you feedback...
[/b][/u]
Post #14400419th Mar 2015 8:41 pm
stevetonks

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I do have to agree with your assessment of the MY15. It is noticeably tighter in the corners. Having said that my MY10 D4 has just had a new compressor and it has improved the ride massively. I am getting worn LSC UJ symptoms too but need to assess the lower suspension arms and bushes first before taking it in under warranty.

It's already in for electrical updates so I might get it looked at now...

Don't worry it will all be sorted, in my experience all LR technicians like to be given the problem and answer. Tell them the issue and tell them how to fix it. If they can see that you have read the WSM and may have a diag tool they treat you very differently as they know they can't fob you off!

Post #144134012th Mar 2015 1:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >