Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Yet more warning lights!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
GDM

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Yet more warning lights!!

So having had the D3 Commercial for a week, I now have warning lights appearing for 3 separate issues.

The lack of power at low revs I have covered in another post but I also have these two issues.

Firstly, I am getting a warning light and a message for failure of park assist on the handbrake. These are the codes that were stored.

I cleared them but they came back straight away. The previous owner had the handbrake module repaired, so I am guessing that this could an issue with the clutch pedal sensor. Has anyone else had this issue?

Secondly, when towing I get the TC light flickering occasionally and sometimes you can feel the brake being applied to the front n/s wheel. This seems to happen when cornering, it is only happening when towing and it has done it with two different trailers. I can't find any fault codes relating to ABS sensors, which were the cause of a similar problem on our old TD5. Is it possible that it could be an electrical fault through the trailer wiring?

Not a good start with this vehicle.

Post #219540821st Dec 2020 9:41 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The clutch pedal sensor is responsible for signalling the handbrake module to auto release, amongst other functions. The fault here is causing the hand brake "U" code which you can ignore, as this will right itself when the primary fault (C1A41) has been sorted.
If you have "live values" on your diagnostic tool you should be able to select the clutch pedal sensor and watch it's operation from 0% tp 99.9% as you depress and release the clutch pedal. If it's not moving on the screen either the switch is faulty, (rare) or there is an issue with the elec plug connection.

You could try the following, check the elec plug on the side of the clutch master cylinder is fitted fully home. Also, you could try bleeding the clutch and see if it helps, but these can be a pig to get air out if present.

If you are experiencing the DSC light coming on it can be a number of things, one of which will likely need attention. These include, wheel alignment/geometry, SAS steering angle sensor calibration, incorrect suspension height calibration, worn suspension bushes, or a bad tyre. Again, "live values" will help you identify which corner is losing grip.

Perhaps not the best of starts for your new ownership, but believe me it could be a whole lot worse. Thumbs Up

The iCarsoft is a decent little tool for the money, but it's unlikely you be able to effect any calibration changes with that. It will clear dtc's and provide live values, but unless it has changed since I last saw one that's about it. If you're going to be working on the car yourself you're going to need a GAP IID bt, otherwise the car will drive you mad! Laughing

Err...Christmas will be here soon. Whistle
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #219546322nd Dec 2020 1:51 am
GDM

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks PROFSR G.

Regarding the brake assist, I checked again this evening and the message is actually 'PARK BRAKE FAULT AUTO RELEASE NOT FUNCTIONAL' I think this is the system that holds the handbrake on until it senses that you are pulling away. Our BMW has it but it is called park brake assist, hence my mistake. I will check the live vales on the switch and the connections. Not sure if it is related but since this fault appeared I have lost the display that tells you which gear you are in. It still tells me I am in neutral though.

I will have to look into the potential causes of the DSC issue. Do I look for live values on the wheel speed sensors? I guess it could be soft tyre also?

Thanks for the advice on the IID tool. I bought the iCarsoft for the TD6 Range Rover we had but I hung onto it, as I was already thinking of getting a D3 Commercial. I think it was only about £100. It's probably a bit too late to get a letter to Santa, to add the IID tool to my Christmas list!

Post #219566522nd Dec 2020 11:47 pm
PROFSR G

OK well if you have lost the selector display thats a whole diffetent ball game. There might be another issue relating to either the XYZ sensor, transfer case calibration, or both. Are your reverse lights working? If not the calibration will need to be performed, so you'll be needing that IID tool sooner than thought. The abs sensors provide wheel speed and so yes you can select these in "live values" but to be honest I'd say this too is related to the missing selector screen/xyz/tcmcalibration and clutch pedal switch. First step check reverse lights. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #219567823rd Dec 2020 12:53 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

GDM wrote:
Thanks PROFSR G.

Regarding the brake assist, I checked again this evening and the message is actually 'PARK BRAKE FAULT AUTO RELEASE NOT FUNCTIONAL' I think this is the system that holds the handbrake on until it senses that you are pulling away. !

I don't think a D3 manual has auto release of park brake.

Post #219567923rd Dec 2020 12:55 am
PROFSR G

It does.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #219568023rd Dec 2020 1:08 am
latnutgub

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

L319 wrote:
GDM wrote:
Thanks PROFSR G.

Regarding the brake assist, I checked again this evening and the message is actually 'PARK BRAKE FAULT AUTO RELEASE NOT FUNCTIONAL' I think this is the system that holds the handbrake on until it senses that you are pulling away. !

I don't think a D3 manual has auto release of park brake.

It does, my wife tests it every day.

Post #219568123rd Dec 2020 1:21 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Interesting , My first 05MY D3 manual , purchased new Jan 2005, didn't have it or it wasn't activated.

Post #219570423rd Dec 2020 9:56 am
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine is a manual and has auto release. 2007.

Auto release is a Godsend while off road.
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #219577423rd Dec 2020 2:33 pm

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mine (2006 56 plate, SE), didn't have it, but now does, thanks to IID. Do I suspect functionality has always been there, not necessarily turned on.

Post #219582823rd Dec 2020 4:34 pm
GDM

PROFSR G wrote:
OK well if you have lost the selector display thats a whole diffetent ball game. There might be another issue relating to either the XYZ sensor, transfer case calibration, or both. Are your reverse lights working? If not the calibration will need to be performed, so you'll be needing that IID tool sooner than thought. The abs sensors provide wheel speed and so yes you can select these in "live values" but to be honest I'd say this too is related to the missing selector screen/xyz/tcmcalibration and clutch pedal switch. First step check reverse lights. Thumbs Up

Thanks again. I will check the reversing lights tomorrow.

Post #219596124th Dec 2020 12:37 am
GDM

Reversing lights are not working and the DSC has now cut in a couple of times without a trailer on the back. Probably won't get time to have a proper look at it until after Boxing Day.

Post #219601724th Dec 2020 12:52 pm
PROFSR G

If you have a GAP IID transfer case recalibration will resolve it but sometimes it takes more than one attempt.
If you don't have an IID it can be done manually, you'll need a decent stretch of quiet road but it can be done in low range if the road isn't very long.

Proceed as follows:

Select low range if it is still available.
Select reverse, and allow the car to reverse until you see that gear selected in the instrument panel.

Repeat this but selecting an additional forward gear each time until you have gone through all 6 forward gears. Make certain each subsequent gear selection is displayed in the instrument panel before moving on to the next. At the end of 6th the lights should extinguish, if not switch off and restart. If it still fails you will have to go through it all again. Big Cry (I hope I've explained that correctly Rolling Eyes )

WARNING: Be aware of any vehicle or pedestrian movement while performing this proceedure!!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #219606024th Dec 2020 3:15 pm
GDM

PROFSR G, Brilliant! Thank you! I will give that I try. I didn't realise it could be done manually, I was expecting to have to wait until I could get a IID tool in the New Year. Do you know what, if anything, could have caused it to go out of calibration?

Post #219606924th Dec 2020 3:52 pm
PROFSR G

Slipping clutch will do it amongst other things but don't concern yourself with that just now. Try and recalibrate as above but be careful, it's easy to become distracted doing this as all your focus will be on the procedure and the instrument cluster. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #219609024th Dec 2020 5:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >