Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Dreaded ESF when towing tintent - update with fault codes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Disco3newbie

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Dreaded ESF when towing tintent - update with fault codes

Trying to identify reasons for ESF fault when towing having read multiple threads so far.

D3 is 08 model, manual, 32K on clock and full service history - 5 yr service (A service) at main stealer in early July. No known issues before service. Always use Shell or similar mainline diesel.

Towed to France, ESF fault occurred pulling up hill before Washington services on A1 - loss of power (or restricted power) - stopped, turned off and on and fault cleared. Happened maybe 3 more times over 400 miles - each time cleared with engine restart. Overnight stop at Dover so cleaned MAP sensor, checked all sensor connectors under engine cover and then filled with diesel and added Redex then did about 40 miles on M2 (without tintent) 'pushing' the engine through gears and revs..........no issues at all and plenty of power. Called AA just to be safe (guy seemed to know D3's Whistle ) out and no faults codes to read.

Over 2 week holiday had intermittent ESF fault but only when towing - normally at top of long incline, revs restricted to around 2K and worse one day when it occurred about 10 times over 250 miles but interestingly that day the mpg dropped to 20 (from typical 23/24 on the in car make you happy computer) so blamed this on cheapo fuel. Always cleared with a stop and restart. Drive home up A1 (on Total fuel) she sailed like a dream until crossing the Border when ESF occurred once.

When not towing there are no issues - stacks of power, excellent acceleration in 'normal' mode and usual boost in sand mode and pulls through the revs in all gears.

Back home I have checked the turbo actuator rod - full movement, MAP sensor - still clean, turbo hoses - no whistling or signs of oil leaks - also never any sign of black or grey smoke from exhaust when driving.

I will change the fuel filter since I couldn't see it as a charged item in last 2 services so hoping this may be the cause but any more more ideas from the combined knowledge base gratefully received.

Thanks

Disco3 newbie

PS - also started adding 2stroke at around 250ml per tank while in France
 Club RLD spare wheel protection
Club RLD skid plate
Club its all black
Club D3 - it's gone
Club D4 - just arrived and still all black 

Last edited by Disco3newbie on 15th Aug 2013 9:27 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #114357813th Aug 2013 10:53 pm
Alan B

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Car was homesick. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

But seriously the knowledgeable ones will be along soon with some productive answers for you

Hope you find and rectify the fault.

Thumbs Up
 D3 57 xs Stornaway grey
D2 02 commercial silver gone but a great servant and won't be forgotten

Iid Bluetooth 

Post #114358613th Aug 2013 11:04 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If ESF has occured, there will be a stored fault. Might be the AA's generic computer won't read ALL the D3's codes.

If it has not had a fuel filter, then it a good, cheap place to start

Is the turbo actuator moving freely, or is it stiff at all? Should move with very little resistance

I assume you have towed the same trailer in the past? Apparently, LED's on trailers + caravans can affect the systems on D3, and show up as an ESF fault
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #114363014th Aug 2013 6:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

As per Mikey but recently I found a corroded caravan plug was enough to cause a D3 hissy fit. Water had clearly soaked into the connector and along with the grease, grime and dead insects all the internal contacts were in a terrible state. The lights all worked fine but I picked it up by a voltage drop check. Cleaning and re-terminating everything cured it.

None of this takes away from a possible turbo actuator fault; especially as it happens under load. Do you know anyone who can read the full codes?
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #114363614th Aug 2013 7:05 am
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

I had the same symptoms as you, very difficult to replicate without a trailer on, attach a trailer and find a suitable hill, and then it would go into ESF after about 45 seconds to a minute of sustained heavy work. Strangely, when the LR tech plugged in his diagnostics tool there were no error codes showing, so I insisted he leave his machine plugged in while I took him out for a drive with a horse box on, we headed out to a suitable long hill and sure enough ESF and loss of power, no bings or bongs, no lights on dash just the message and loss of power. The actuator linkage was free and easy, it turned out to be a faulty stepper motor that actuates the turbo linkage.
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #114367914th Aug 2013 9:13 am
Disco3newbie

Very Happy Thanks for all the comments.....hopefully it is just homesick Whistle

DM - the turbo actuator rod moves very freely with little/no resistance using the wire coathanger method.

Standard bulbs on tintent and all were working - same with brake lights on D3

The tintent is the same one we always tow and, noting Robbie's comments I did think about disconnecting the towing electrics plugs and seeing if the fault still occurs but decided lack of indicators or brakes on A1 was not a good idea......why do Sunday drivers go so slow!!

Thought about the AA code reader not picking up all codes....just don't really want to go back to main stealer for this and was surprised that they don't automatically check for fault codes at service so will see if anyone south of Edinburgh has a suitable reader.

Hobgoblin - hope it's not the fault you found since often it would tow uphill no problem so hoping it's fuel starvation caused by fuel filter.

Going to start with cheapest options first.
Club RLD skid plate
Club its all black
Club D3 - it's gone

Post #114369014th Aug 2013 9:55 am
Disco3newbie

Quick update

Took a trip to local stealer to have fault codes read this morning - have to admit I was impressed that 1, they took time to fit me in first thing and 2, mechanic was happy to discuss possible causes and options.

Below are the intermittent fault codes that were recorded - not sure what they mean but those with % in boxes to right appear relevant, if anyone can decipher I would be grateful Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Turbo was discussed and possibility of sticking actuator rod but I think this is moving OK. Also identified that fuel filter wasn't changed at last B service (not at local stealer) so this seems a good place to start......now changed for OEM part - easy to do once you realise it's under the plastic shield below driver and not the steel skip pan Embarassed
Thanks to Disco Mikey's write up on how to self bleed the new filter - easy peasy Very Happy

Mech guy also told me that the actuator rod is 'exercised' through full range of 'available' movement
when ignition key is moved to position 2 or 3. Short video clip is either below or in my gallery to show this. Hopefully this is full movement in link link below

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...tuator.wmv

Decided to invest in a can of WD40 and soak the actuator rod while it was being 'exercised' using the technicque

I know there are other photos on forum but below are two pics showing location of turbo actuator rod - no need to take off nearside wheel, just put in offroad height, remove 3 10mm nuts from heatshield, fiddle heatshield out then it's in there somewhere just under the red arrow:wink:

I used a full can of WD40 to lube the actuator rod whilst using the key on/off method to move it.

Now all I have to do is offer a sacrifice to the Land Rover gods (have to be goats cos virgins are hard to find around here) and hope that ESF problems do not recur.

Thanks to all for advice offered so far.
Club RLD skid plate
Club its all black
Club D3 - it's gone

Post #114438415th Aug 2013 9:47 pm
Disco_Mikey

3 turbo codes, and a low fuel pressure code Thumbs Up

Ideally (and if the fault happens again) you need to check the pressure from the LP pump, to make sure there is enough fuel getting to the engine.

Also, check the turbo hoses for leaks/splits etc, especially around the pipe joins

That said, just because the actuator moves OK, does not mean the turbo is definately OK. Have seen them in the past move freely, but the net result was still a new turbo.

Hopefully, they had the sense to clear the codes, and if/when ESF next occurs, it should be easier to pinpoint Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #114444316th Aug 2013 6:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco3newbie

Thanks DM, Thumbs Up codes are all cleared so will now have to wait and see what happens after fuel filter change.....seems to run smoother but that may be wishful thinking so fingers and everything else crossed.
Club RLD skid plate
Club its all black
Club D3 - it's gone

Post #114444916th Aug 2013 7:16 am
TdV6Pete

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

stupid question, but if you dont ask you wont find out...

What is ESF?
 2inch Lift, 33inch Cooper STTs, Wheel Spacers, Hidden Champion 9000lbs Winch with recovery points, Full Underbody Protection including Rear Bumper Guard, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, 4x4 screen enabled and Sat Nav on the move (thanks to Bodsy), Discreet LED roof lights, LED work light, BAS Re-map and EGR's blanked, V8 Brake upgrade with Grooved, Drilled and Slotted Brakes, Halo Fog Lamps, Roof Rack, 240V Inverter, CB radio and finally a Swing away wheel carrier with Hi-Lift mount...  
Post #114447216th Aug 2013 8:46 am
Disco_Mikey

Engine System Fault warning message on the dash display Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #114450616th Aug 2013 10:16 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Is it possible to get a 'scope on the turbo stepper motor?
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #114463416th Aug 2013 5:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >