Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Numerous issues (was in D3, 2 weeks in....)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pshawfocus

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hey Diskostew - hope it's good news today from MMC.

I'm gonna be a bit cheeky and duck into your messages as I'm in a similar boat, about a month into Disco3 ownership. I bought a 2006 SE TDV6 from 4x4 Kent with 93k on the clock. It's a very nice, comfy car which wafts along the motorway (I've already done 2000m in the last 3 weeks) but like you, I've had a couple of niggling problems. I wonder if the followers on this message trail can share their expertise Wink

Faulty cruise control - possibly a brake switch (I can see early in the car's life that this was replaced to fix another intermittent CC failure). Otherwise I've read that a squirt of lubricant into the wheel switches might help as the off switch is rarely used?

Face vents not working - this seems to be the face/feet servo motor. I've been sent a manual by another member but removing most of the dash is a bit beyond my capabilities. I'll find a local LR indy who can do this and probably replace all 4 of the motors whilst they're in there. Could be expensive (someone said it took their LR dealer 8 hours to do this??) so I'll be speaking to the suppling dealer about paying for this as it was doing it when I picked the car up (the flashing defrost prog light - I assumed it was meant to do). As the temp has increased over the last week it's become far more noticeable.

Steering wheel shake - I had the track rod ends and front discs and pads replaced whilst in Newcastle recently but there is still a wobble as I brake the car down from motorway speeds (it's at its worst around 60mph). I can drive around the wobble but I'd rather it was fixed. I wonder if it's a flat spot on one of the tyres? Or bushes or...??

Noisy rear - there's a rattle from the rear of the car which I can't seem to track down. I've checked seats and the rear tailgate but I wonder if it's from the underneath of the car - any common faults?

Heavy drivers door - I've noticed it takes more effort to close this particular door and there's a more noticeable thunk as it closes - do they drop if people are leveraging themselves into the car? Or perhaps the lock needs some adjustment? It looks fine and aligned from the outside.

The car is going to RCV in East Peckham, Kent on Saturday for them to look at the items above. They are the garage who prepared the car for the dealer - does anyone have any experience of them?

Thanks in advance.

Post #112933410th Jul 2013 8:08 am
blue200tdi

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The only experience I have of RCV is their hugely over priced cars they sell. Rolling Eyes

The wheel wobble at 60MPH will be the tyres need balancing.

The CC is likely to be the clockspring under the steering wheel.

Heavy door may need greasing/oiling

The rattle could be anything, shove the missus in the boot and go for a drive. Whistle Shocked Rolling with laughter

You say you had the brakes and track rod ends done in Newcastle, Surely the car is under warranty is it not?
 You guys are gonna be busier than a test bench in a plunger factory!
Java black 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE AUTO.
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance sport. 

Post #112965710th Jul 2013 9:07 pm
BAZ8046

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I use RCV at East Peckham and have always found them very good. They know the cars well and are cheaper than the main dealers. Dave looks after the service department and should be able to sort your issues. Hopefully nothing too expensive.
 D4 2016 Landmark, Waitomo Grey.
D3 2005 HSE, Bonatti Grey, now sold but still comes back for servicing.
Defender 2002 Td5 Commercial, had a hard life but slowly being restored.
I only work so I can afford to repair my Land Rovers! 

Post #112974110th Jul 2013 10:48 pm
pshawfocus

Thanks for the feedback on RCV. I'll let you all know how I get on.

All the wheels have been balanced and the tracking reset following the track rod replacements. I'm curious as to how long these last rod ends last as I can find reference to them being replaced about 14k miles ago in the various bills and service history? Would that suggest something else is out of alignment or that the car has just been driven hard...?

Not covered under wear and tear... Crying or Very sad

Post #112980211th Jul 2013 7:46 am
UNG

United Kingdom 

You say the tracking was reset but your car may need a 4 wheel alignment to get rid of the wobble issue
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #113088113th Jul 2013 9:38 am
pshawfocus

Hey all, sorry for the delay.

Car was delivered to RCV yesterday with instructions to investigate/fix:

1) the face vents
2) cruise control
3) heavy drivers door
4) clonk/rattle from rear

I'll have to call them on Monday as I had forgotten about the shake at 60mph when braking. Will let you know what they say to them all.

Hope you're all having a wonderful HOT weekend Smile

Post #113116714th Jul 2013 9:35 am
pshawfocus

Reply from RCV:

Faulty face vents is a failed blend motor (£183) - accessible through the glove box apparently.
Drivers doors has been adjusted FOC
Rear Anti-roll bars are knocking (£140)
Cruise Control switch gear replacement (£104)
Both front Suspension lower arms (£750)
One of the rear wheel bearings has slight play (£292)

Ouch!

Replacing the front suspension lower arms will hopefully address the shimmy as I brake down through 60mph but the guys at RCV are going to check the discs too in case they are causing it. Any thoughts on the work or pricing?

Just in time for 3 road trips over the new few weeks Newcastle, Delft (Holland) and St Malo (France). Will be picking it up on Saturday - soooo looking forward to seeing what a different it will make.

Post #113209416th Jul 2013 11:29 am
DiskoStew

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Is this all covered by warranty or will you have to shell out?

Post #113216216th Jul 2013 2:34 pm
pshawfocus

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer. The cruise and air con were faulty from the get go so I'm hopeful they'll cough up for those. However, they may well argue that the other parts are fair wear and tear (the car has done 95k). Either way, it's a lorra lorra cash.

Now I'm itching to get the D3 back so I can enjoy it with all these bits and pieces fixed Very Happy

Post #113222716th Jul 2013 3:49 pm
pshawfocus

So, I got the Disco back this afternoon from the helpful and charming guys at RCV. Work carried out as follows:

1/ Checked lights, tyre pressures, screenwash and washed car (FOC)
2/ Adjusted door latch (FOC)
3/ Tighted rear hub nuts and repeined (FOC)
4/ Replaced defective face vent motor (warranty)
5/ Replaced cruise control switch (warranty)
6/ Front and rear anti-roll bar chassis bushes
7/ Front lower suspension arms replaced
8/ Wheels aligned

All in £951.95.

I've only had a short drive back along the M20 (at 45mph courtsey of an accident and roadworks...) but the car seems smoother in the way it handles bumps and road imperfections. There's still a rattle from the rear over sharper bumps but I wonder if it's trim related rather than anything down below. The front of the car appears to be on steriods - it really does go where I point it without any slack.

I can't tell for certain but I think the wheel wobble at 60mph has also gone - hurrah.

The only downside is that the steering wheel wasn't dead straight when they have aligned the wheels, so it's off centre now. I'll get them to adjust when it goes back for the 105k service in a few months. Also, the drivers door might swing closed a little easier but it still noisily clunks rather than swooshes shut, especially when compared to the other doors. I wonder if any of the rubber trim is damaged or worn, or maybe having been greased/oiled, the door just needs to be used a bit to get it to loosen up.

All in all, very satisfied even though I'm a bit (lot) poorer Smile

Post #113336718th Jul 2013 7:31 pm
DiskoStew

Still happy now you have had some miles under it?

Post #113356919th Jul 2013 9:41 am
pshawfocus

Yup, filled her up, had a quick whizz around some of the local streets then zoomed down the M23 to Gatwick before coming back up the Caterham By-Pass last night. Went like a dream. If only the steering wheel was straight! It's a very quiet and relaxing car to drive, that's what makes the odd trim rattle at the rear all the more frustrating. But on the motorway, you don't notice it, so set the cruise, put some choons on the HK and turn it up and....bliss...!! Over next 2 weeks I am doing the following return trips from Sarf London - Newcastle (640 miles), Delft (530 miles) and St Malo (810 miles). Lotsa diesel, hopefully no stress Laughing

Post #113375019th Jul 2013 7:57 pm
Alan B

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Might be daft but rattle in rear,
Is spare wheel tightened up?
Or is it definitely from inside?
Nothing rolling about in rear cubby boxes?

Thumbs Up
 D3 57 xs Stornaway grey
D2 02 commercial silver gone but a great servant and won't be forgotten

Iid Bluetooth 

Post #113378919th Jul 2013 10:11 pm
pshawfocus

Hey Alan, I think the spare is tightened up, from underneath it certainly feels solid but I guess I should check it from the interior? As it's the 7 seater do I need to lift up the carpets at the rear to access the disc thing that lowers the wheel?

Yesterday I put a new parcel shelf into the car (from eBay) and thought that the rattles had decreased (the shelf is a nice solid fit) so I wonder if it's related to the plastic shelving on each side of the loading bay.

Post #113383220th Jul 2013 7:27 am
DiskoStew

You need to raise the third row seats, at least a little.

Why live with the steering wheel until next service? Take it back and ask them to put it right. If you had paid them £50 less than their bill would they say 'don't worry about it until next time'?

Post #113384220th Jul 2013 8:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >