Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Unusual suspension problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Highlandglen

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Unusual suspension problem

Hi all, my suspension feels realy bouncy mainly from the rear. going slowly over a sunk drain cover will cause the whole car to swing from side to side & on the road at about 60mph it just feels like one or both rear shockers are shot. I have replaced them both but no differance. I have replaced the rear top arms, both front lower arms & anti roll bushes.
Is it possible that the rear cross link valve is siezed open allowing air to pass from side to side, thus giving me the problem? There are no warning lights on & suspension goes up & down no problem & dose not sink over night etc.
Hunted this forum & cant seem to find anyone with the same symptoms.
I have driven a few disco's & they all feel pritty planted on the road but this one just feels like a big slugg!
Any help would be appreciated.

Post #11420899th Aug 2013 11:26 pm
Frem

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My D3 suffered from the "swings". After checking the harmonic dampers were swinging okay and the usual suspension checks, I found the fault with one of my rear tyres. The steel wire within the casing had broken through the tyre wall which causes the tyre to lose some of its rigidity, therefore the tyre will have a sideways movement (if that makes sense).
Replaced the tyres and problem gone! Thumbs Up

I only noticed the wire poking through the side wall when I washed the car and saw what I thought was a bit of fluff on the tyre. Imagine the pain as I flicked the "fluff" off only to gash my fingers Big Cry Big Cry
 Zermatt silver beast  
Post #114212410th Aug 2013 8:06 am
Highlandglen

Yeh checked harmonic dampers & swinging fine, I did swap the tyres front to rear a while ago & it did change it bit dident go away. Checked all tyres on ramp but all look ok. Think i may have to bight the bullet & replace them as it did change the swinging, well for a while.
Thanks for your reply.

Post #114213810th Aug 2013 8:31 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1058691.html#1058691

Highlandglen wrote:
Hi all, new hear so be gentle.
The nearside rear of my disco bounces a lot more than the offside rear when going over a bump on the road & the whole car shakes from side to side at slow speeds over bumps. Shockers i hear you say. well no, just replaced them & no differance what so ever!! I have already done the rear top arms, rear top rose bushes in the hub, new front lower arms, anti roll bushes etc. Big Cry

Now getting a bit fed up decided to go back to basics & swaped front wheels to rear (goodyear wranglers) in 18" all round. Hay presto problem solved!! There is no damage to the tyres, all are in shape with no bulges, cuts etc & of course tyre presures ajusted after swaping.

Any one ever experianced this? Very strange, not what you would expect from a tyre.

Answered your own question back in February Confused
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #114214210th Aug 2013 8:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Highlandglen

Ha, well thought i did but it was back as bad as ever 6 weeks later & from the rear! Thought it couldent be the tyres if it came back to the rear but i may be wrong. Not wanting to replace tyres that are not needed. Dont mean to be tight wadd !
Should i just replace all 4?
cheers.

Post #114215110th Aug 2013 8:52 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sounds like you need to according to DM copy of your post

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #114216010th Aug 2013 9:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >