Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Viewing Cars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Pandaros

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Just bought a 2005, 113k Disco 3 SE for about £9.5k. Not having any mechanic friends and not being inclined that way myself once I found my preferred vehicle I paid the AA to perform a check; costs ~£300 but as per previous posters it can save you a fortune and it seems pretty thorough...

The AA chap only found a few issues that I could live with and I negotiated the price based on them.

Post #114377414th Aug 2013 12:28 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I think my best advice would be to take your time, don't rush - there are plenty of good ones out there but also plenty that will break your wallet.

My overarching memory of when I bought the D3 (at 5.5 years old 60k miles) was how many rough ones I had to go through before I found the one I was looking for.

It seems to me that many a D3 will have been thoroughly used as the workhorses that they are. For me the big surprise was how many had rough interiors - rips in seats, bad scuffs in plastics, grazes on door cards etc. Not always true, but a really rough interior is a good sign as to how it has been (ab)used and possibly an indication of how well the mechanicals have been looked after also.

Find one that has been cherished and it will reward you every step of the way, buy one that has been seriously neglected and you will almost certainly regret it.

Post #114379614th Aug 2013 1:32 pm
Mark-w

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Looked at a few, some bad some good.
Found a nice 07 plate with 86K on the clock, had it inspected by mechanic friend no real issues.
End of the day decided to keep the disco 2, we've had it 7 years and know it inside out, not expecting any major expense.
Ive read too many horror stories on here to be honest, the failures of oil pump housings was the straw that broke the camels back, especially when I here it has just happened to one local car a while after a belt change, requiring a new engine.
Everything on them would seem to be an expensive fix and it would seem to be a case of "when" not "if"
Maybe I'm better off with the devil I know.
They truly are a lovely car and my heart was set on one, but I dont want to lead us down the path of continual ongoing maintenance costs, and should the worst happen (and it seems its not at all uncommon) theres no way i could finance an engine.

Post #114380214th Aug 2013 1:48 pm
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Some good advice above ^^^^

We looked at yet another HSE on Sunday described as 'mint' and after an hours travelling within seconds knew it was neglected. Deep scratches all over, dings in bumpers, adaptives that faced different ways and a tear in drivers seat. Complete waste of time yet again.
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #114380314th Aug 2013 1:49 pm
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I recently went through a similar experience looking for another Jeep as a 3rd vehicle. I was looking for a Commander or a Grand Cherokee, preferably a Commander but a GC would work, same vehicle chassis wise.

I digress...I couldn't find any that had my first choice in options and was in good shape. I'd suggest making a list of "must haves" and go from there. I ended up with a Grand Cherokee, it doesn't have everything I wanted but the condition is like new. So I was willing to give up a few things (like low range and tow package) but got all the stuff I "needed" (leather, sunroof, 4WD) and got heated seats and remote start.

So just look at anything and everything, think about what you really need!

EDIT: Also be realistic, I spend more than what I originally spent, but good condition= more $$$. If it seems like an exceptionally good deal- it probably isn't and there's a reason for the price.
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #114403514th Aug 2013 11:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >