Tappit noise?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Blacknsilver3

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Tappit noise?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gw3jwjqp31tzwa/Memo.m4a
Noise stops at about 38 secs.
Oil level ok. Not due for a service. Any ideas what the noise can be?
 With a few Mods.  
Post #113433621st Jul 2013 8:56 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

All D3's make a similar noise on start-up, and I am led to believe it is the tappet followers, the oil drains down when stopped, so they prime again on start-up

Mine (which has clocked over 227k) makes an identical noise BUT only for about 10 seconds Shocked

Try changing the oil, and maybe adding a oil enhancing additive and see if it improves Thumbs Up
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #113441022nd Jul 2013 6:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Are you using the correct oil?
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #113443622nd Jul 2013 8:11 am
Discoed

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

That initial harsh noise didn't seem to be dependent on the engine speed - it remained constant when you blipped the throttle..

Post #113444322nd Jul 2013 8:25 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

In my opinion that either isn't the tappet ticking sound, or else it isn't right. The tappet ticking sound on startup should only last 1-3 seconds. On my D3 the oil pressure light on the dash goes out EXACTLY when the tappet ticking stops.

Do you have a rough idea of where the noise is coming from? Top of engine bay? Bottom of engine bay?

I would change oil again (source the oil yourself if you usually leave it to the garage's discretion to make sure you're using the right stuff), AND the oil filter for a genuine one (some people only change it every 2 oil changes).

However, it is strange, as mentioned previously, that it doesn't change much at all when the throttle is blipped.
Confused
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #113445422nd Jul 2013 8:47 am
karlosbu

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

That noise is coming from something that is turning at a constant rate not related to the engine revs. Issue with viscous fan clutch ??

Post #113445822nd Jul 2013 8:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Confused Not tappets as said, not sure what that is as ^^above its constant even when revs increase it doesn't Neutral Some of the tech guys on here will know though, hope its something simple Thumbs Up

Post #113447322nd Jul 2013 9:40 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Indeed it might be the viscous fan. Does the fan "roar" when revving the engine after startup?

30 seconds or so sounds right for the amount of time the fan "roars" when the engine is revved after startup, before it starts operating normally.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #113447922nd Jul 2013 9:59 am
karlosbu

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

This is what the workshop manual says about the viscous fan:-

"For additional airflow through the radiator matrix, particularly when the vehicle is stationary, there is an engine driven electro-viscous fan unit fitted to the rear of the radiator. The fan is used for engine cooling and for Air Conditioning (A/C) system cooling. This unit functions as a normal viscous fan, but with electronic control over the level engagement of the clutch. The Engine Control Module (ECM), which determines the required fan speed, controls the level of clutch engagement. The ECM determines engagement based on the coolant, charge air, ambient and transmission oil temperatures and the A/C pressure. The fan is mounted using a left hand thread. The viscous fan unit is electronically controlled by the ECM to optimise fan speed for all operating conditions."

Only thing I can think of that would be rotating at a different rate to the engine, until the clutch fully engages...

Post #113449822nd Jul 2013 10:43 am
Blacknsilver3

Thanks guys for the replys.

It's recently been serviced by 4-Tech. So I am not concerned if the right oils etc were used as they would be.
The fan still makes the same noise 'the roar' as it always has. It makes no difference if you rev the engine. The noise sounds like near the bottom. It doesn't do it all the time. Every time I hear it I try to pop the bonnet but then it stops. It's in the body shop at the mo and I get it back on Thursday so I will truly and find where its coming from and report back.
 With a few Mods.  
Post #113524723rd Jul 2013 8:56 pm
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

maybe a bad installed oil filter?? (oil press issue)
does the engine oil press light turn off with the sound?

it always happen when cold?
if you turn off and restart the tappet like noise starts again? it continues for the same time as if you don't turn off the engine?
its different from side to side? (i say to isolate)
always ticks for the same amount of time?
have you try to press the brake pedal (pumping it) to see if te offending part could be the servo vacuum pump?
the radiator or cover are tight?? do they moves with hands?

it seems to be not rpm related...there are much less thing that coul be sounding like this and (more or less) non speed related, like said: the fan...maybe egr??? mine do rithmical sound from time to time at its own... non rpm related (but...i dont think it 100%).

i'm curious to see what happens here.. i have listen to the clip sometimes and its difficult to imagine the origin...

when the weird sound stops the engine sounds great!

Post #113530323rd Jul 2013 10:22 pm
Blacknsilver3

It happens at different times. Cold, when is warm. Length of noise changes. Light goes out straight away as it always has and noise carries on. If you turn off and start again its not always there. I will be getting the motor back on Thursday. I will try and answer more of the questions which I can't answer now.
I haven't tried pumping the brake. It's hard to pinpoint the sound. I do have a guy who is trying to have a look at it while its in the body shop so fingers crossed he can.
Egr has been blanked off.
Thanks again
 With a few Mods.  
Post #113535424th Jul 2013 6:27 am
Dude15

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

My wife's D3 developed the same noise a couple of weeks after I changed the oil and filter. The noise was mainly there when the engine was hot or cold for about 20seconds and didn't vary with the engine rpm. The oil pressure light goes out after a couple of seconds, which is normal and I used the correct oil grade, a genuine filter and the level was spot on. I decided as a precaution to change the filter with my last one I had from TLOs service deal and would you know it, the noise is gone!!

A strange one, the filter was installed correctly and there was nothing obviously wrong with it.

Post #11388871st Aug 2013 4:57 pm
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

There are filters with smaller O-rings than recommended that makes the system get out of good pressure for a time till the pump fills the system. Changing the O-ring to bigger or changing the complete filter to OEM or other batch, restores the good days to the lub circuit. Maybe this is another one dodgy sample?

Post #11388891st Aug 2013 5:08 pm
Blacknsilver3

Nice one guys. Will give it a go and report back. I have noticed that it does it even when engine is hot. So not just on a cold start up.
 With a few Mods.  
Post #11389731st Aug 2013 9:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >