Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Broke down!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
StaffsNick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

StaffsNick wrote:
My first thought was to brim the tank and throw in some Diesel engine cleaner in case it was a blockage somewhere! Thankfully got through half of it died on me! Twisted Evil
 55 Plate TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey, Cool Box, D4 Bluetooth, Side Steps, BAS EGR Blanking, V8 Discs, Polybush Dynamics, SNOTM, Three Flash Indicators, HIDS4U LED Sidelights, Replacement Clock Spring, TSL, Auto Box Flush + Dr. Tranny, BAS Remap Thumbs Up IIDTool V2.18  
Post #112972410th Jul 2013 10:26 pm
StaffsNick

So my indie has changed the intank pump for a new genuine Walbro one and when I picked it up for the drive home all was fine...

However, been out in it in this morning and has ESF, limp mode etc. Scanned the car with IID and now getting P2288 - Fuel pressure too high! Rolling Eyes

Any further help greatly appreciated!

Nick
 55 Plate TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey, Cool Box, D4 Bluetooth, Side Steps, BAS EGR Blanking, V8 Discs, Polybush Dynamics, SNOTM, Three Flash Indicators, HIDS4U LED Sidelights, Replacement Clock Spring, TSL, Auto Box Flush + Dr. Tranny, BAS Remap Thumbs Up IIDTool V2.18  
Post #113313318th Jul 2013 9:24 am
StaffsNick

Just got back from the garage having left the D3 with him again Rolling Eyes

He used a Snapon Solus Ultra on it the graph the fuel pressure when idling, which is when the ESF fault occurs (ie it's ok if your giving it some) and the graph was all over the place at first, the steadily rose until it 'Bonged'

The same graph on another TDV6 he had in (RRS) was a steady line the whole time at idle and still the only fault is P2288 - Injector control pressure too high

Anyone else ever had / cured this?
Post #113333618th Jul 2013 5:37 pm
StaffsNick

Update

So the D3 has been at my local indie for three weeks now... I've picked it up a twice and both times, within 3-4 miles I've had ESF (no MIL) and limp mode, which will, without a restart, go back to normal mode and then back to limp mode again etc.

It's while I'm sat in traffic or waiting at traffic lights when it happens, if I can keep the car moving and my foot on the accelerator then it's fine Evil or Very Mad

Indie is being fab to be fair, no charge for diagnosis and is doing his best to keep parts costs to a minimum and is only doing things after explaining it to me, but I think both of us are struggling for idea's.
He has changed a fuel rail pipe across the back of the engine, which I think included a sensor? And has changed a solenoid on the HPFP as well as the initial change of the LPFP after the breakdown and recovery.

My gut is telling me it needs a full HPFP but can a LP pump failure damage the HP pump? Indie said that the gauze tea bag thingy in the tank was covered in thick gunk and theorised that it could have created a bit of a vacuum behind the behind the pump, causing the failure which may have had knock n effects, I can see the logic but not sure if there are other safeguards to prevent this?

As always, thoughts, theories and speculation all welcomed Bow down

Nick
Post #114248011th Aug 2013 10:28 am
will247

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi Nick,

My HPFP is Censored I'm currently mustering up the energy and the cash to change it however I have never had limp mode issues, I still drive it, smokes quite a bit. My indie thinks that it has had petrol in it at some point and that is why the pump is on it's way out.

I know it got brought up in an early post but the fuel filter has been checked and/or changed? If any of the 4 pipes to it are wrong or not sealed then it would explain why you didn't get any fuel at the valve at the top of the block to begin with and why it isn't working. Obviously if you replace it go by the book for fitting the pipes again rather than matching it to the old filter as if they are wrong now they will be wrong on your new one!

Hope you get it sorted

Will
 26 and on the 4th LR..
Series 2a 1963 88'' 2.25 Derv as original with Galv chassis
Disco 1 1996 V8 on LPG (sold now)
Disco 3 2005 TDV6 S (sold now)
Disco 4 MY15 XS Commercial

Post #114249511th Aug 2013 10:52 am
StaffsNick

Hi Will,

Thanks for that, yes, the fuel filter was replace about a month before the initial LPFP failure, at a routine service, carried out by the same indie and it ran perfectly fine up to the point of breakdown Big Cry

It is far beyond my abilities to change the HPFP but I know what you mean about mustering up the funds! No one likes a bill that size, hence me trying everything else first - but I suppose it could be worse... No has mentioned injectors just yet... Shocked
Post #114250611th Aug 2013 11:31 am
will247

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Well mine needs injectors too as the HPFP will have slowly fed them full of iron filings.... I have 6 'spare' used ones from ebay £50.00 for the lot. I'm going to post them and the 6 from my engine to a fella called diesel bob (google) and he will clean and test all 12 for £120.00 +P&P and tell me which ones are good, so in total no more than £200.00 for the injectors. The large one has quoted me £567.00 or so for the HPFP on a replacement exchange. The Haynes manual says 3 spanners to change it...

I know it is heart wrenching that I need to spend that but I love the car, I love driving it, I bought it in Jan and on the test drive the air sups light came on and the guy I bought it off had the compressor replaced so that shouldn't need doing in my ownership, it is generally a clean vehicle so I'd rather spend the money than fob it off on someone else and buy another one that may have the same or worse issues!

enough of that though - For the price of a fuel filter you really should do it. It is obviously something fuel related and that is a pretty easy and possibly the cheapest place to start!
 26 and on the 4th LR..
Series 2a 1963 88'' 2.25 Derv as original with Galv chassis
Disco 1 1996 V8 on LPG (sold now)
Disco 3 2005 TDV6 S (sold now)
Disco 4 MY15 XS Commercial

Post #114251011th Aug 2013 11:44 am
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Daft question but have you checked the wiring inside the nearside front wheel arch for chaffing?
This can cause the same symptoms. If its intermittent then the wire may be about to break?
Worth a look maybe?
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #114264311th Aug 2013 7:36 pm
StaffsNick

I did check the three connectors in the NSF wheel arch liner only a couple of months ago, when my airbag light was on all the time, they were fine at the time and that issue turned out to be the clock spring Big Cry

Will mention it to my indie though as its a nice easy simple thing to check!
Post #114264711th Aug 2013 7:55 pm
bigcarpchaser

It's not the connectors, it'll be further either side. The broken wiring that caused my errors as yours was worn through, not cable tied tied in position so had been rubbing.
From memory my faults and symptoms were very similar, car not getting fuel so showing as pump was knackered
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #114266111th Aug 2013 8:26 pm
StaffsNick

Oh ok, thanks, will have a look Bow down

I don't suppose by any chance you took any pictures Whistle
Post #114266311th Aug 2013 8:30 pm
bigcarpchaser

No sorry. It's not the only broken wiring I've had either, the abs sensor/wheel speed wire can go at the join too, that causes some fun and games. First thing I look for these days.
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #114268511th Aug 2013 9:14 pm
StaffsNick

The fuel not flowing to the schrader valve was the LP pump, but as soon as I fixed that then I started with the current problem...

However, it's interesting that you say about that wiring because I'm also still having an issue with DSC cutting in but only on right hand bends - anyway, that's another thread! Rolling Eyes
Post #114274212th Aug 2013 8:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >