DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Battery drain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Baileybomb

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 3

Robbie wrote:
DHG,

I've been thinking about your post some more and as well as not saying 'welcome to the forum' with your first post I should have really thought some more as 99% of owners wouldn't even know how to do a parasitic draw test; so I guess you have covered all the basic checks on battery and alternator.

Basic checks:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post899794.html

Parasitic draw checks, really drawn out by an American:

&feature=plcp&context=C41368cbVDvjVQa1PpcFOUyC-ssxxqIYNGX7nyxRtWZKxbwY_5_I4=

So am am wondering if you have a more obscure issue. A drain through the alternator is an example which can vary with temperature due to a breakdown in the diode pack leaking to earth. Another D3 specific issue is a fault with the EAS. The air suspension does wake up after a while to check and adjust the level of the car. It may be worth leaving your meter on for a few hours to see if the draw during self-leveling is excessive, which may indicate a wiring, connector or sensor issue. Other random faults can 'wake' the car too causing excessive current draw.

Disabling the meter time-out function and setting min/max mode is useful here (if the meter has such modes or if you can borrow one that does) as you can set it and forget it for a while.

Hope this helps.

I have issues Big Cry is this video ok to follow Robbie ? I’ve seen some saying the vehicle needs to go to sleep to be able to see what’s staying live ? I presume by un hooking the terminals to apply the test in that video will awake the car ? Or is that ok ?

Post #233982019th Jun 2023 10:03 am
Beeredup

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mines got the battery drain issue it seems to be intermittent too Big Cry

just done the drain test with the multimeter between the pos terming and pos cable after what seemed like an age it dropped from FIVE amps!!! to 375ma with the doors locked. I've recently fitted a new upper tailgate release too. what are the other usual suspects to look at? Brake light switch? I am having issues with parking sensors not working could that be an issue?

Post #236762927th Apr 2024 1:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >