Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

ACC (adaptive Cruise Control) Retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 20 <123 45 ... 181920>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Anyone interested in this should closely read all that i have already written on the subject in this thread.

As my earlier posts on this thread show, the wiring is really quite simple.

There is no single part number for the Switch Kenny, as on the D3 it part of the switch bar that sits above the Radio / CD changer and its part number would depend upon what else is fitted. Not sure what the situation is on a D4.
I will happily let you know the part number i purchased when we re open on Jan 2nd.

It may be that you have to buy a Sport part and then physically de solder the switch and LED etc, re soldering them into your own, and so graft some bits over to end up with what you want, but TBH the switch and LED was the least of my problems and something i was thinking more to concern myself with after i had gotten the main system working.

Finding CAN BUS physical wiring is actually dead easy, you just look for any closely twisted pairs in the loom.
If you find a twisted pair that they are Yellow with a Black Stripe and Yellow with a Brown Stripe then this is the High speed CAN BUS pair.
If they are Yellow with a Blue Stripe and Yellow with a White Stripe this is the Low speed CAN BUS Pair.
any other twisted pair coloring is either Airbag sensor related or speakers etc.

Here is a picture of how i tapped into a HS CAN BUS pair for my AFS retrofit

Click image to enlarge

And a very Happy New Year to you too KP.
I am not exactly sure what CAN BUS traffic the ACC ECU is dependent upon having, but it is likely that road speed info from the Can Bus version of the ABS ECU which replaced the earlier BMW DSC 5.7 unit is a core element.
sadly this was not replaced on diesel vehicles until the introduction of the TDV8.

Post #10272441st Jan 2013 6:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Colin
Happy new year
Would be good to find out if it can be done. Holding off buying parts at the moment
Although did pick a new wheel with the adaptive buttons already.
What do you think is a realistic timeframe to tackle the issues you had?
Best Regards Ian

Post #10274262nd Jan 2013 12:54 am
catweasel

kenny wrote:
part number for the switch

XPD500820 no voice control http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Range...3a765df9e3
XPD500850 with voice control

would try TLO first

Post #10274292nd Jan 2013 4:55 am
kenny

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Thank you Catweasel and Colin, there is a parallel discussion going on at the AULRO site and Sean there is also trying to get this working, he has pointed out to me that the ACC is selectable through the setup menu rather than a physical switch on post 2010 vehicles.

I have asked the question there, if that then means that wires that would normally go to the switch would need to a jumper of some sort or just be ignored..... I'm also asking the question here in case someone can help?

Best regards, Ken

Post #10275572nd Jan 2013 2:19 pm
kp

United Kingdom 

Kenny I was thinking the same that if an MSV could hard code it in so as to ignore the Distance controllers and just have it activate through a menu of some sort it could work on the L322 as well but the distance would then need to be hard coded in and if it was me I'd set it one space sort of the max distance to be safe.
 FFRR Owner, very nearly became a D3 owner Smile
Test piloted a new D4 XS SDV6.. Gone and being forgotten i hope!!
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #10276082nd Jan 2013 3:48 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You can't hard code it in ... You need the switch to set the speed / distance you want to travel at
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #10276112nd Jan 2013 3:51 pm
kp

United Kingdom 

The ACC buttons do just the distance either increase or decrease. The Cruise speed is still changed via the same buttons as the normal NON-ACC cruise on any varient IIRC Wink Thats why i was thinking hard coding could work or a small box of tricks to turn it on Smile
 FFRR Owner, very nearly became a D3 owner Smile
Test piloted a new D4 XS SDV6.. Gone and being forgotten i hope!!
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #10276202nd Jan 2013 4:00 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

It's already been a Year since i last tried and failed on this particular project for some as yet unknown reason.
I am sure that the problem i had was a simple one, of which i have listed the logical possibilities to eradicate, and am totally sure it can ultimately be done, as even the dealers SDD system lists the ACC system as one fitted to D3's and in my trials, all the right options and stuff came up on the Dash LCD screen, and i was also diagnostically interacting with the ECU, able to read and clear faults and put it in calibration mode. It just failed to calibrate when driven over a course that i have used a few times to calibrate the system on vehicles it was originally fitted on.

I have already acquired more items, like a replacement sensor, in case the one i have been using is is faulty and the proper Forward alert switch, in case these were the problem, but unfortunately due to other commitments and problems in the year, i have not found the time to retry with these and figure out the problem i had.

However i have recently agreed to team up with a third party who currently does have the time, along with the physical skills and a strong desire to get this working, so we should have some results fairly soon i hope.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the applicable switches for the ACC system

My initial comments regarding switches was in relation to the "Forward Alert" Switch. This is a single non push button Switch mounted in the row of switches above the Radio / CD changer slot. It also has an LED that i believe is what it uses for doing it's alerting, but when used, the ACC system may also use the Instrument pack to provide an alert that may be Visual and / or Audible.

AFAIK an ACC equipped vehicle still has the same fixed speed CC that a non ACC equipped vehicle has, maybe even using the standard CC capability built into the EMS only, ACC then of course adds CC based not upon vehicle speed but in keeping a fixed distance to the vehicle in front. I imagine with nothing in front the set speed of the regular CC takes priority.
However with the ACC you have an extra feature you can use called Forward Alert, where the vehicles speed or the distance from the vehicle in front is not controlled automatically, but if a vehicle does come within the fixed distance you get alerted to this.

In respect of the steering wheel controls, with an ACC system you will need a set of controls that not only have the regular CC controls but also has the 2 ACC distance adjustment control buttons.

This applies to D3 and D4. On a D3 these are on the face and on a D4, on the side.

There is no Hard coding, jumpering, or box of tricks to overcome that requirement as the D3 uses a resistive ladder for all CC / ACC inputs that goes through the EMS and the D4 a LIN bus connection to the EMS.

Post #10291864th Jan 2013 6:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hids4u

Hi Colin
thanks for the update and info
on the braking side - does the ACC activate the ABS to slow the car down or is an additional actuator provided?
or is it just a case of changing the speed by acceleration control and if a car pulls in front it just triggers an alarm for you to brake?
r
ian

Post #10292514th Jan 2013 8:50 pm
catweasel

BBS Spy wrote:
Forward Alert" Switch. This is a single non push button

I thought from the literature that it was a switch not indication so you could turn the forward alert on and off.

hids4u go to Topix and look at the owners manual for the 05-09 RRS, it tells you how it operates and what the buttons do and how to work it.

Post #10294895th Jan 2013 10:41 am
hids4u

catsweal
thanks but my question still stands.
do we need to get an actuator to activate the brakes or does it just come on via abs pump?

Post #10300986th Jan 2013 5:06 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Quote:
This is a single non push button

just to clarify, i missed the word "Latching" out, as in

This is a single non latching push button.

I believe you are right catweasel in that this switch provides on/off capabilities for the FA function only.

Ian, in my efforts to add such additional functionality to a vehicle such as the ACC, i look into all "none and with" aspects and see no such additional actuator requirement for ACC over regular CC.

I do not delve into exactly how the ACC works and it's interaction with other ECU's, i just provide a totally like for like environment.

ATB

Post #10301406th Jan 2013 6:55 pm
kenny

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

And from what I can gather post 2010 the physical switch is no longer used, pins 5 and 20 on the ACC ECU are unused. Graeme posted a wiring diagram here http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/165835...-d4-3.html

I had a fiddle with the CCF settings yesterday on my D4, trying to see if it would come up with an error that the ACC was not found or something similar, but no success. There are a number of places that the ACC can be set in both the CCF and EUCD, going by other activations through the CCF, not all of them will be relavent, so if anyone does work it out beforehand please let me know. In the mean time I shall wait for parts Sad

Post #10303997th Jan 2013 12:24 am
catweasel

excerpt from the aforementioned owners manual
"Forward alert
Limited warning of vehicles ahead is provided during ACC operation by the ACC DRIVER INTERVENE warning. The forward alert feature additionally provides warnings whilst ACC is not engaged; if a vehicle is detected close ahead, then the warning tone and message will be issued. The brakes will not be applied.
This additional feature may be switched on or off using the forward alert switch as indicated
When the indicator lamp in the switch is on, forward alert is active."

"Driving with ACC active
The system acts by regulating the speed of the vehicle using engine control and the brakes.
Gear changes may occur in response to deceleration or acceleration whilst in ACC. ACC is not a collision avoidance system, however, during some situations the system may provide the driver with an indication that
intervention is required.
An audible alarm will sound, accompanied by the message DRIVER INTERVENE if the ACC
detects:
• A failure has occurred whilst the system is
active.
• That using maximum ACC braking only is
not sufficient. "

I very much doubt but cannot prove that any extra components will be required for braking. The vehicle already has the ability to operate the brakes for DSC, EBA, ETC and also HDC so I would suggest the systems are already in place to operate the brakes via the ACC ECU.
Also you can see the ACC and forward alert switches fitted to the D3 in Land Rovers own promotional videos from 2004. at 48secs
at 2.06mins so definitely doable IMO

Post #10304407th Jan 2013 7:42 am
Spooky

United Kingdom 

Has anyone got any multi-plugs for the sensor and/or the ECU going spare, they they're willing to swap for some beer tokens???
 Regards,
Mick

- 2014 SDV8 Autobiography
- 'Vincent' - 2010 TdV8 Vogue SE
- 'Molly' - 2005 HSE Auto
'Dixie'
- 2000 D2 Td5 ES

Post #10306867th Jan 2013 6:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 20 <123 45 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >