Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Screaching - handbrake perhaps?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
philburt

Screaching - handbrake perhaps?

Over the last week my auto D3 has developed a terrible screeching noise when I am driving. It is intermittent and does not seem to be related to speed, cornering, breaking or accelerating. It just seems to stop and start randomly. I thought it was something jammed in between my break disk and the mud shield but I have checked this and there is nothing.
It sounds like it is coming from the NSR.
The hand break operates fine but it was noisy just before I bought it - the dealer had that sorted out though (new cable etc apparently).
The first time I heard it was when I had it off road about a month ago but it went away until last week.
They are all the clues I have - any ideas, info, experience would be much appreciated.

Phil

Post #86083119th Nov 2011 2:32 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Phil,

Did you figure out what this was? Mine has also just developed a strange screeching/squealing sound but am unable to determine where it's coming from.

I suspect the parking brake but can't be sure.

Cheers,

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #89597911th Feb 2012 6:12 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Woolmeister

Adjust the parking brake as per Bodsy Brake Bible then that should eliminate the EPB, if it still does it you need to check pads and brake shoes by removing the rear disc's.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #89599711th Feb 2012 6:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Somerset Jem

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine did the horrible screeching a while back but only when the epb was applied, wouldn't have thought this would be the cause if it's while you are driving......but I could be wrong! I fitted new epb shoes using Bodsy's bible, no problems since. Thumbs Up

Post #89600611th Feb 2012 7:03 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Thanks, Flack and Jem for your replies here.

This is definitely when moving. Have never noticed it when ticking over in neutral. Quite a metallic screeching sound. Makes dogs Censored themselves. Does not sounds healthy.

I've had my EPB screech on me before, several thousand miles ago. That was a sound of a magnitude I've never heard before from a motor vehicle. Had it fixed but has never quite been the same since.

For example, when pulling away, it squeaks for quite a while before the noise is drowned out by road noise.

Will be taking it in to be looked at soon anyway. 75k service due. Big Cry

Thanks, all.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #89619612th Feb 2012 11:58 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sounds like a wheel bearing or something rubbing on a driveshaft possibly?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #89620712th Feb 2012 12:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jonnybravo

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Belize GreenDiscovery 3
Screaching EPB

I note the comments on the screeching (and embarrassing) EPB. What the heck is the cause? It sounds air/hydraulic related. My '55 plate is giving me grief but only sporadically. When the EPD is applied either by me or automatically when I turn the engine off it makes the most awful noise which is guaranteed to turn the heads of on-lookers (usually in the supermarket car park when there's loads around). After a period of tutting and shaking of head whilst looking at the back wheel I skulk off looking rather sheep-ish. Help anyone! Big Cry

Post #115532010th Sep 2013 11:42 am
Mrs Trackman

Scotland 

Definitely adjust the EPB as per Bodsy's Brake Bible (link in his post above yours). If you keep using it while it is making that racket it can cause permanent damage.

Post #115535710th Sep 2013 12:38 pm
jonnybravo

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Belize GreenDiscovery 3

Many thanks. Looks pretty complicated for my non-mechanically minded brain. I can change a shoe but that's about it...Might have to get someone to look at it instead.

Post #115538110th Sep 2013 1:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >