Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

BlackVue IP streaming over 3G - possibilities ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
BlackVue IP streaming over 3G - possibilities ?

OK techphiles ...the BlackVue HD has a video out so I've been thinking if this could this be attached to a 3G IP thingy which I could then pick up on my mobile via the net. Can it work and if so what equipment would be required ?

Ta very Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #85028821st Oct 2011 11:33 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I use Teradek cube's for streaming digital HD video to the internet for monitoring elsewhere, but it can get expensive. They do one model that input's composite video which is what you get out of the Blackvue. You'd also need to create some sort of local hot spot in your car... like a three MiFi ???
http://cube.teradek.com
http://threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/?mifi=1&id=1184

Alternatively, I wonder if it would be possible to adapt a WiFi security camera to feed to an IP address through the MiFi?

I'm thinking aloud here as I've never done this from a moving vehicle myself. One word of warning though... the Blackvue seriously slows down recording when you're simultaneously outputting a video signal. It's as if it's just too much data in full HD and it can get a bit stutter'y. Unplug the video and all is smooth again?
Thumbs Up

Post #85029522nd Oct 2011 12:10 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

crews control wrote:
I use Teradek cube's for streaming digital HD video to the internet for monitoring elsewhere, but it can get expensive.
Shocked No Censored Laughing

Hmmm not had an issue with recording and the video out tbh ..when I set-up the BV after it's been out of the motor I connect a video lead to the Sat Nav Screen Video Input Cable for positioning purposes via the centre screen and it works fine as does playback from recording at the same time. Confused what type of microsd are you running? ..I have a class 10 32gb.

Just think on to the mifi idea...that receives the signal and then creates a hotspot ..can it send out the signal via 3g Confused I was thinking about utilising a similar unit that operates the FFBH control timer via GSM ..but in 3G?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #85029622nd Oct 2011 12:37 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Maybe I have too slow a card in mine, still using the one that came with it?
I also have problems with it not going into record after turning on, which might be related. Rolling Eyes

The MiFi can connect to 3G but I have no idea how fast the upload speeds are? Video uses a lot of data unless you start dropping frames or size, but that's down to whatever you use to digitise and compress the composite signal from the Blackvue.

Post #85031822nd Oct 2011 9:16 am
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
wifi SD card

HI Guys

Theres a new Pro wifi SD card that streams video it costs about £80.00 the only problem it is afull size card not a mini one
I take it the new HD Blackview is a mini SD the same as the old one
cheers

Post #85036222nd Oct 2011 12:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Cheers Mike ...I'll take a look at what's available Thumbs Up
Post #85045622nd Oct 2011 6:24 pm
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Another idea is to get yourself an "IP camera server" like the one I ended up not selling a few weeks back (caution, it's 5V), and plug it's LAN output into a home accesspoint (about £50 max - these are usually 12V anyway). The server will then broadcast (through the accesspoint) to your Wireless LAN, and you can hook up more than just one camera. It comes with it's own web-based inteface and with proper port forwarding on your router, you could set it up to access it from anywhere on the net.

This of course will work at or around your house, if you want remote monitoring wherever the car may be, I think a MiFi module does exist to feed the IP Camera server's wire, which it will then broadcast over 3G. You would need to know your MiFi's IP address though to access it remotely, which most cariers change per connection... (though there are ways around that - happy to discuss if of interest)

Alternatively, again for use around your house, you could use something like this (though this specific one is 9V, but I'm sure there are other working on 12V)...

Hope that makes sense? Confused
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #85139725th Oct 2011 2:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Not to pour too much cold water on this but dont forget that, you are going to run through a lot of bandwidth by streaming video over 3G. Most of these 3g Mifi devices you pay for what you eat and bandwidth is not unlimited and is still relatively expensive.

Additionally, I use a 3G connection quite a bit either on laptops or, as I write here, on an iPad. The experience of streaming video over it is not good, especially on the move, and I will generally avoid doing so until I get a proper wifi connection.

I think the tech is not quite there yet but happy to be proved wrong on this.

Post #85257228th Oct 2011 3:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >