DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Key fob MAY not have flat battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jim1000

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Key fob MAY not have flat battery

Thought I'd share today's experience.

After many prev posts re the key fobs dying, some have identified in-car issues such as wiring looms. Others have talked bout the fact that these rechargeable key fob batteries have a limited life and have gone about successfully prising open the fob and resoldering a replacement rechargeable battery.

I set about that today with soldering iron and new battery at the ready.

Well, after an hour nervously cutting and prising it open (with great guidance of other members here - thanks), before I got to actually replacing the battery I took the circuit board out and started pressing the small buttons that the rubber casing connects with. IT WORKED!!!... I soon realised the problem with my old fob was not the battery but the outer casing rubber buttons not connecting properly with the actual tiny buttons on the circuit board.

I think through age, either the board sinks a bit too deep into the back casing or the insides of the rubber outer buttons get worn. They def look like they are pointing out of position.

So, I folded 2 bits of thick paper peices and tucked them on the other side of the board and battery so as to push it up/forward a bit, closer to the outer rubber buttons.

Before I superglue it back properly I'm testing it while bound with duck tape. So far it's working perfect.

Well it's a bit of a Blue Peter type fix, but maybe better than spending loads on a new one and/ or assuming it's the battery.

I'll upload some close up pics when I get a mo. but PM me in the meantime if you want any more advice. Hope this is of help to someone with the same problem.
 Nov 04 D3 TDV6 HSE Java Black  
Post #85317330th Oct 2011 5:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >