DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Wheel Wobble with AT2's - NOT balancing weights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
GDM64

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Wheel Wobble with AT2's - NOT balancing weights

Hi All
Since having my tyres changed to AT2 all round, I seem to have an intermittent wheel wobble issue through the front wheels which I have now had rebalanced twice, thinking that was the issue, but I now have noticed that it seems to rectify itself when driving for a while - say over 20 mins - at over 50 MPH.

I was advised by my local dealer (who are pretty good generally) that they have only come across this issue with tyres fitted to Jags on their sales forecourt, where the cars had stood for a while and created a 'flat spot' on the tyre rubber which throws the balance of the wheel out until the tyres have warmed up a bit (eg on a 20-30min run) allowing the tyres to retake their original shape. This would seem to make some sense as it suits the way that my D3 is used, ie it stands in the drive for ages and only gets short runs most of the time. When it has had a decent run the wheel wobble seems to vanish.

Has anyone else come across this?

Post #8222031st Aug 2011 5:21 pm
wilsonmg

England 

prob a brake calliper sticking or EPB binding a little... thats my gues anyway Thumbs Up
 Still miss my D3 Sad  
Post #8222071st Aug 2011 5:27 pm
John Salter

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I do not get any problems with my D3, but I get the problem with my Morgan, exactly the same as your symptoms. If I leave the car standing for a couple of weeks, the first few miles have to be driven carefully, below 40 mph ish, to prevent serious wheel wobble. After a few miles everything returns to normal. I have started to jack the car partially off the ground when out of use, to prevent the flat spotting, which has cured the problem.

Post #8223442nd Aug 2011 9:02 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

on my old 101 with bargrips if I parked up when they were very hot after a long run, the next morning they would have big flat spots that cleared after a while. If parked up after a short run no problem,so a hot tyre left is at a greater risk IMOA

On my old mans cosworth he got a new set of tyres and had them balanced several times had new shocks roll bar bushes etc. but still wobble/vibration issue. when I jacked it up to have a look I just jacked the wheels slighly off the ground and rotated them..then they stopped as they hit the floor..the new pirelli tyres had a 4mm oval shape...back to the tyre dealer for a new set. something to check maybe
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #8223792nd Aug 2011 10:45 am
GDM64

Thanks for the replies guys.

As a trial my wife and I have now swopped cars - the D3 is usually hers - so wasnt getting used that much and was only ever for short journeys. Since I am now using the D3 on a regular basis the problem seems to have not returned, so I am pretty sure this is some form of flat spotting problem. I think it is made worse by the fact that my driveway is pretty wonky as I live on a steep hill (by Sufflok standards), so the front nearside wheel always sits much higher than the others and the tyre gets a bit more 'squashed' than the others when it is standing. We now also park it in a different place so that it is more level to try and avoid that too.

The brakes/wheel bearings etc have all been checked, so we have already ruled that out - well as far as you sensibly can!

Could pea gravel stuck in the tread cause problems too? My driveway is gravel and the tyres are pretty gnarly, but I would have thought stones would flick out pretty quickly when you get shifting down the road so have always ignored that.

Post #8223862nd Aug 2011 11:00 am
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I'd say not, but if there's a lot of it in the tread, it could. Only of the pebble sticks further out than the rubber on the tire...
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #8224092nd Aug 2011 12:45 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I get this with ATRs too. As long as the wobble goes away in a few miles nothing to worry about.

Interesting that you park on a sideslope too. Our drive is like that and I hadn't thought about it making the flat-spotting worse but it makes sense.

Post #8224342nd Aug 2011 1:51 pm
GDM64

This forums is great for this kind of thing, as I had been struggling to find out what the problem was for nearly 18 months now and couldnt find anyone who had had the same problems.

I know the problem isnt just related to Discos, but is reassuring to know that we arent alone, and it may save other people constantly having their wheels balanced - which is what I was doing. Unfortunately my wheel balancing place is only a short distance, so the wheels were always rebalanced with the flat spots on as the tyres hadnt warmed up on the way there, so they always needed re-doing whenever I visited. The flat spots were just moving around the wheel depending on how/where you park.

Interesting to see that it doesnt seem to impact on many people though. Fortunately!

It seems wonky driveway plus infrequent use = wobbly wheels!

At least it gives me a good excuse to use the D3 more than I otherwise would...

Post #8224352nd Aug 2011 2:02 pm
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

What pressures are you running? Have you tried something a bit higher to see if it helps?
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #8224512nd Aug 2011 3:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CHEF

United Kingdom 

I've never used these but if their claims are true it may fix your problem.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Fiamm...Spots.html

Type tyre savers into google, there are a few to chose from

Cheers

Matt

Post #8224682nd Aug 2011 3:54 pm
GDM64

I have just checked the tyre pressures and wound them up a bit to the 'fully loaded' pressure. I usually put in whatever bar is marked on the drivers door tag for single driver loading, but its a good point as I am not sure if that is right for AT2's (?) and having a bit more should certainly help to stop the flat spotting.

I have never seen those 'driveway dish' things before, but it at least acknowledges that the tyre flatting problem is real!

So far just moving the car off of the wonky slope and using it a bit more frequently seems to have solved the problem, but I will keep an eye on how it goes.

Cheers again for all of the advice.

Post #8227153rd Aug 2011 12:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >