Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Remote Locking from KeyFob not working (Again)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 11 <123 456 ... 91011>
Sidecarboy

passenger side

front door open , remove the trim panal between the A post and the B post , then you should see anothe plastic piece clipped into the floor , pull this up and you will see a wiring loom the size of a babys arm , its in there

i had a disco3 with about 5l water in there and every soldered joint was green with rot and neede re joining

nice little job compared to the other diagnoses stuff i get to do Wink

Post #117756925th Oct 2013 6:50 pm
gruodiz

Lithuania 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

To make it sure both for LHD (European continental) and RHD (UK) cars splice is in the same left side?

Can not find the splice in LHD car, front seat removed, carpets lifted, the tape which holds loom already cut but with no success.

any help??

Post #118580311th Nov 2013 10:36 am
gruodiz

Lithuania 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Found the problem. It was green with white stripe wire splice on LHD vehicle passenger side, LH side.

Post #118587511th Nov 2013 1:17 pm
mjsent

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
intermitent remote locking

bit of a teaser here, the remote works when it wants to, have gained access through the passenger door but the dash mounted open and close function will not work iether, now if its the key fob surley once in the car then that button on the dash should work ????? shouldnt it, if its the reciever in the roof , again surley the dash would work, so am I right in thinking that it could be this splice in the wireing that I keep reading about, really look forward to the help that this forum brings from the undoubtably most knowlegable crowd of people who never worked at a landrover stealers but are noticably more helpfull at a cost that seems most bearable, so with thanks in anticepation
mike
ps,, Happy Xmas

Post #120574621st Dec 2013 4:39 pm
amphoto

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ok had same issue all 3 Fobs failed at same time previous owner bought an extra spare I'm guessing due to intermittent fault Whistle checked the wiring loom today very damp in there although the green striped cables were bone dry and looked in perfect order following advice on this thread I cut and reconnected anyway and hey presto all three fobs working perfectly again Thumbs Up

Thanks guys without this forum and your advice Bow down this would have no doubt cost me a fortune at a dealers!............

Next job sunroof drains I guess Smile

Post #12111993rd Jan 2014 5:44 pm
Carlostrance

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi all,
My 05 plate developed this problem a few days ago. Neither key fob working.
I looked at the connecter which had the 3 green / white thin cables in, and it looked fine, dry and solid.
But while i was in there i cut off the black nylon connecter and soldered the 3 cables together and taped them up.
Both key fobs now working again.
Thanks for the information on here about this.
One thing to add is that my manual door lock on the passenger door had seized up.
finaly managed to get it to work with a can of WD40 and lots of wiggling of the key.
Think i'll use this lock now and again to keep it working as the only other way in i can see is to smash a window Shocked

Post #12292002nd Feb 2014 1:55 pm
Dobbin

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What a great place for information this forum is,

Couple of Days ago SWMBO complained that key fobs had stopped working.
Found this topic and decided to take the passenger side of the car apart this morning.
I cut off the Green/White Splice pictured below, and soldered the joint back together.
Hey presto, Key Fobs now Locking/Unlocking again.
Very Happy Bunny!

Much missed 2004 D2 G4 Ltd edition
Current 2005 D3 TDV6 HSE
General Grabber AT's 

Post #123620213th Feb 2014 3:27 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

It is the forum that saves us all some serious money!
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #123633313th Feb 2014 8:23 pm
JFE

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

What a struggle to get to the loom, but guys, thanks a million, my remote is working again, like a charm. Had an issue a while ago, then it stopped and yesterday during a 4x4 day it just completely stopped working. I was in shambles but thanks to a search or two and an hours effort (50 min struggling with the trim) I manage to fix it. 2 of the wires seemed to be completely cut off inside the splice, resealed with some heat shrink.

Click image to enlarge

Post #12501659th Mar 2014 12:03 pm
bonner1955

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
key fobs not working.

Hello. Can anyone help me?
My key fob has stopped opening my car (2005 disco 3 auto diesel). I dug out my spare, and that doesn't work either. I opened the passenger door and used the dash button to open the central locking. Th ekes work fine to start the car. I have read the threads about checking the green and white splice wire for 12v, but i can't get the trim off the door pillar to remove the footplate trim. I can't afford to go to the garage again, so would appreciate any advise on how to work out what might be wrong. I have a new battery to try in one of the fobs, but it looks a fiddle and might try other things first.
Thanks
Julie

Post #125171412th Mar 2014 12:29 pm
GK

United Kingdom 

I tried cutting out the green and white splice and re-soldering, but it didn't make any difference. What worked for me was cutting open the key fob, placing a bit of cardboard under the battery, and glueing the case securely back together. It works like a dream now, and it's easy enough to test it before you glue it up.

Post #125210812th Mar 2014 11:36 pm
albal

United Kingdom 
Re: key fobs not working.

bonner1955 wrote:
but i can't get the trim off the door pillar to remove the footplate trim.

The trim just pulls out - it is secured in the middle so pulling from the top and bottom to get your hands in, then sliding your hands (one down on up) to meet as close the middle as possible then pull, it shouldn't need too much force.

Post #125214013th Mar 2014 12:45 am
bonner1955

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks guys. What do you think are the chances it is the key fob battery? I have 2 and neither are working. I have tried both and used them in the ignition on a run to try and charge them. Is there a way of checking?
I will have another go at getting to the loom. I can lift the footplate trim that goes from the front passenger door thro to the back. I can't get it out cos it goes under the trim on the door pillar. That is the trim that i can't get out …… grrrrr.
Julie

Post #125233813th Mar 2014 1:27 pm
GK

United Kingdom 

The trim on the door pillar (between the front and rear doors) should come off really easily - just a gentle poke with a screwdriver. I found the worst bit was locating the splice, cutting it out and re-soldering - then it didn't work! As I said before, cardboard under the battery ( between the battery and the case) worked for me, even though that fob hadn't been used for 6 months. The only way to check the battery is to cut the case open and put a voltmeter on the two pins on the circuit board where the battery is soldered on. It should be over 3V. You can solder in a new battery, but you would need to be pretty handy with a soldering iron, because the circuit board is very small. The joys of owning a LR!

Post #125239013th Mar 2014 2:55 pm
albal

United Kingdom 

The B-pillar trim will just pull off quite easily if you remove pull away the door seal:

You can get a grip at the top, you may not even need a screwdriver.

Another way to check the remote is to find someone who can scan on 433.92MHz - not sure if you will hear anything on a radio tuned to the half/quarter wave or not - the pulse train is very short.

Post #125239513th Mar 2014 3:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 11 <123 456 ... 91011>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >