Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Hanbrake Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 18 <123 456 ... 161718>
Dingdong

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Park Brake Failure EPB

I may be wrong but I think the EPB is applied automatically every time you withdraw the key from the "ignition".

Anyone know any better?

Also is it possible for this feature to be deactivated by an owner/driver?
 D2 D3 MF35 Be36 Be58  
Post #66602129th Jun 2010 11:03 am
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Only from reading others' posts on here I have learnt that that is a YES for manuals, and a NO for autos but is changeable by magicians with dark arts and black boxes.
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #66602629th Jun 2010 11:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Phil W

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Belize GreenDiscovery 3
Re: Park Brake Failure EPB

Dingdong wrote:
I may be wrong but I think the EPB is applied automatically every time you withdraw the key from the "ignition".

Anyone know any better?

Also is it possible for this feature to be deactivated by an owner/driver?

If you hold the EPB lever down whislt you turn off the ignition and remove the key ot doesn't activate. Found this out by trial and error.

Post #66619829th Jun 2010 7:17 pm
Dingdong

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Park Brake Failure EPB

Cheers mate that's a good tip. Buit I wonder if there's a way you can stop it coming on automatically every time but still remain available for hill parking?
I managed to stop the seat belt bleeper blaring at me every time I had to hop in and make a quick exit while repairing the fencing in the bull paddock. Bit handy that one.
 D2 D3 MF35 Be36 Be58  
Post #66620829th Jun 2010 7:36 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

AndrewW wrote:
Only from reading others' posts on here I have learnt that that is a YES for manuals, and a NO for autos but is changeable by magicians with dark arts and black boxes.

I translate.... The automatic application of the EPB is set to ON in manual vehicles and OFF in automatic vehicles but I understand that this can be altered by a Main Agent or someone with the correct computer equipment to update the software in the vehicle.

A
Post #66632729th Jun 2010 11:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
paulcarter

2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

poorrichboy wrote:
i bought my D3 in nov '08 with only 8000 miles, all good until feb '09 when the automatic handbrake failed,along with that the reverse sensors, reverse light and gear display, but the handbrake will work manually. after having the xyz switch re calibrated and then a further 5/6 times(same problem), they finaly decided to drop out the gear box and do something with the magnet?all under warranty thankfully. it has continued to happen a further 4 times to which im now getting quite annoyed, so they had someone come out from LR and decided it was the clutch, and fitted a new one, that fixed it for about 6 weeks this time which is a record for them as it usually occured every 2 weeks, or in one case the next day!im now waiting to take it in again after xmas as it broke again and failed to be aplied,crashing through my driveway gates, what can i do or insist they do as this is beyond a joke by now and i only really drive the car at the weekends as i have a work van.
Can you tell me if it is now sorted as I am having exactly the same problem with my 09 that I had new in July! They have recalibrated, fitted new switch etc and now claiming that its my fault and how I drive!  
Post #6668691st Jul 2010 11:01 am
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

If your epb starts screaming just adjust the parking brake shoe. That is a 10 min job and your problems are over.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #6668881st Jul 2010 11:49 am
AndrewW

Oh, No, they aren't

Your problems have irrevocably BEGUN

Read this....

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic50875.html

Screaming means component failure due to poor design, and continuing damage....
Post #6669071st Jul 2010 12:39 pm
Roel

I think screaming comes when the actuator has to pull the shoes to far so it comes to the end off it's travel.
I had a sceamer only once and then I directely adjusted the shoes. And they needed adjusting.
After that I adjust them at the cars service, that I do myselves, and as I hardly use the EPB it hardly needs adjusting. I test the EPB once every second month or so and then directely 2 times just to make sure it doesn't get stuck.
I also test it after been offroad but only when I am home so most dirt will be out by that time, I hope.

The screamer was more then a year ago so I think I don't have problems.
 Roel

1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Post #6670221st Jul 2010 5:23 pm
AndrewW

Fine by me, but you need a "scream generator" and that is an escaped spring from a broken retaining land causing malfunction within the secondary gear assembly in the gearbox of the EPB unit.

The spring should be retained by a circlip (E-clip) but the retaining plastic material fails and the spring hits the gearbox casing. This reduces the torque at which the system slips AND pushes the secondary gear assembly against the opposite casing. In the absence of any design to cope with end-thrust, plastic bears on plastic, screams and melts (and ultimately fails).
Post #6670351st Jul 2010 5:57 pm
Roel

If that is always the case, why did I only have a screamer till I adjusted it?
Why don't I have a screamer now when I use it?

Mine could be starting to wear but I don't think it is to bad on the moment as it doesn't scream.
 Roel

1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Post #6674262nd Jul 2010 2:56 pm
AndrewW

If you have read my appraisal, you will have seen that the mechanism of screaming is when a broken spring retainer has released the spring to cause further end-face friction damage to the secondary gear. The damage is already started at the first scream.

If you are very careful you may adjust things to stay within physical tolerances, and have temperature, humidity and cleanliness conditions on your side so that the (damaged, nigh-on useless) over-torque escape clutch is not called into operation.

BUT due to the relative spring release/relaxation from circlip failure, the overtorque setting is lost (reduced, so more likely to operate when it shouldn't) AND each time it DOES scream, more plastic-on-plastic damage ensues.

Long may you stay well-adjusted Whistle and in an equable physical environment, parking ever on the flat and using only "Park". Thumbs Up

Once you start to need the EPB, especially if nature is against you, THE SCREAM will deteriorate a little at each EPB operation and much much faster at each SCREAM. . .

A
Post #6674662nd Jul 2010 4:40 pm
rockylizard

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Handbrake Failure -

Gday...

We boughgt a 2006 D3 TDV6 SE Auto two and a half months ago. It has 80,000km on clock now and within a week of ownership we experienced a squeal from the right rear wheel AFTER release of the EPB and when moving off. It was like metal brakepads not releasing properly. The squeal would disappear after travelling for a few metres. EPB works excellently in holding the vehicle at any time. Dealer we bought vehicle from has had it back twice - first time just "adjusted the brake" and the second time "pulled it all down and cleaned and adjusted".
The squeal returned within a week or two after the last effort. Again, it is when the EPB is released - manually by pushing the lever down not using the throttle to release. As the vehicle moves off it squeals now not at a loud volume like before and then disappears after a few metres - and it does not do this every time the EPB is released - probably one in 5 times of releasing and driving off.
My question is whether what we are experiencing with our EPB is what this thread has been discussing.
Interested in comments please.

Cheers
John & Julie
 Actively occupied in retirement  
Post #68161211th Aug 2010 1:23 am
KevF

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Awe feck feck feck... Evil or Very Mad Well, wife's 55 D3 has starts screaming and the interior warning lights and buzzer constantly going off.
Makes it impossible to drive without the noise driving you mad.

Taken it to our local independent JSF in Norwich and they have confirmed my suspicions and the car needs a new EPD module at 300 quid plus fitting.
Trouble is the item is on back order with Land Rover and won't be available for at least 3 weeks Evil or Very Mad

Has anyone successfully got LR to repair the EPB out of warranty under 'not fit for purpose' or has anyone contacted the press.

It seems LR are burying there heads when they have more single issues with failing handbrakes that Toyota had with brake fails. Toyota recalled all theirs!!!!!

Also anyone got any clues as to where to get hold of an in stock module to try and prevent my wife and 3 young children being slowly driven both deaf and mad by the noise not to mention having to drive the bloody thing with a faulty handbrakes. Don't want it to stick on for her whilst out with kids.

Kev f

Post #68415719th Aug 2010 7:54 pm
stephenp

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

saw one on ebay last night

Post #68420619th Aug 2010 9:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 18 <123 456 ... 161718>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >