Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Static cornering lights on with high beams/when stationary?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Adam2510

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Static cornering lights on with high beams/when stationary?

Good afternoon all,
I've been a long time reader, but first time poster. I've got a 2007 discovery SE, which came from factory with the boring halogen lights! Being the snob I am, (coming from an SDV8 L405 autobiography) I chose to upgrade to the AFS 'dancing' headlights. I managed to wire up the ECU and headlights in a couple of afternoons and successfully have them working with only a tiny bit of tinkering.

However, being the tinkerer I am, and obsessed with lights, (With strict adhering to beam cut offs/patterns etc), I've got a couple of coding questions. Firstly, is there anyway to have the static cornering lights, (that usually come on with the indicators, or when turning at low speeds) also come on with the high beams? I find they make brilliant ditch lights both on and off road, and would love to have this ability.

Further more, both my old L405, and previous L320 had the cornering lights come on when stationary, just by turning the wheel. It seems that my discovery MUST be moving for this light to come on. Even if it comes on when I turn into my drive, once the vehicle becomes stationary, it then switches off. Unless I then put the indicator on. I assume this must be a coding thing, as the cornering light will come on momentarily when first switching the ignition on if the wheel is turned.

I have full JLR SDD so getting access to the ECUs and full CCF isn't an issue, just wondering if this is something anyone has come across before? Would swapping out the FLS ECU for the L320 module resolve this? Or is it the same module and these parameters controlled by the body module?

My in-laws Mini Countryman has the cornering lights on permanently below 30mph, albeit at 50%brightness, which then brightens up on indicating, to give a much improved wider visibility, though I appreciate this sort of tech is way out of the way of the discovery.

I have considered swapping the wiring for the front fogs and cornering lights, so I can have them on when I want. But then don't like the idea of using the inferior fogs as the new cornering lights. Also not sure how this will pass for the MOT.

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated!

Post #237306312th Jul 2024 12:53 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

The only way I can see of doing it, is adding a 5 pin relay to each headlight.

Pin 30 to corner lamp
Pin 87a to red corner lamp wire from car
Pin 87 and 86 to main beam wire
pin 85 to ground

When main beams on, the corner lights come on. (including flashing)

I guess pin 85 could go via a switch to disable for MOTs or whatever

Don't fit corner lights exceeding 35W, really you need to fit LEDs to them to bring the current down. or run a battery + to pin 87 instead. Infact you could connect it to the dip headlight wire. That would also stop the corner lights flashing in daytime.

Post #237306712th Jul 2024 1:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >