DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Discovery 3 DIY roof rack plans and unusual channel setup
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
apollojazz

France 2005 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 S Manual Maya GoldDiscovery 3
Discovery 3 DIY roof rack plans and unusual channel setup

Hello there !

I am a proud owner of a 2005 Disco 3, base model S.
I am looking to equip it with a roof rack and roof tent for long trips in the forest and at the beach. But since most of the budget has gone, I am looking for a DIY solution for the rack.

Couple of things that bug me :

1. The roof has been untouched since 1st owner, it seems many of you have the plastic plugs that maintain the rail to the roof channel. Mine doesn't have those, the rail simply clips to the channel from front to back. No big deal, I removed the rail but found (I assume) plastic rivets inside the roof bolts. What puts me off is that they are also painted, so I was curious if any of you also had these. Here's a photo for reference.

Click image to enlarge
    Click image to enlarge

2. So I don't have the rails in the channel, what would be your suggestion regarding putting a roof rack ? Installing the OEM (or similar) long roof rails ? Or can I DIY those 'feet' as well ? Or are there after markets parts that can be purchased to fit anything on top ? (I saw the Yakima stuff, just don't quite like the looks of it).

3. Finally I can't seem to find blueprints or plans for the exact dimensions of said roof bolts, in order to design my rack. Has anybody seen them ? Or carefully measured the dimensions?

Many thanks in advance for your wisdom. Smile
 Discovery 3 - TDV6 - S (2005)  
Post #237137318th Jun 2024 4:45 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You can buy feet that bolt directly to the roof but i think finding some factory rails will provide better options for mounting a rack, then you can use channel nuts or tee bolts to mount the rack to the rails.

Post #237139319th Jun 2024 1:54 am
rowlejohn

France 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi...Recently replaced one of the fasteners on my 2008, Disco 3.
The threaded end is M10 standard pitch (1.5) X 15mm long. You may need to apply thread sealant to prevent water ingress on to the headlining/interior of the car.
 Relocated to Mid France from N. Wales March 2021
Rovacomlite and IDD/ SSD diagnostics user
Previous Landies
3.9 SE Classic
3.5 V8 Disco
4.6 P38 HSE
L322 Vogue HSE
TD4 ES Freelander 1 

Post #237144919th Jun 2024 7:52 pm
apollojazz

I quite liked the fact that mounting a rack directly on the roof nuts would make it a lower profile, especially for a DIY rack. But I'll look into getting a pair of factory rails to make it easier. Still on the lookout for mounting feet options, or DIYing this part as well... I'm sure this has been done before Laughing

Quote:
The threaded end is M10 standard pitch (1.5) X 15mm long. You may need to apply thread sealant to prevent water ingress on to the headlining/interior of the car.

How come you had to replace it ? Did you have the same thingy inside the roof nut ? Did the sealant get loose ?
Post #237145119th Jun 2024 8:30 pm
rowlejohn

Had a water leak which wet the headlining above the drivers seat which was caused by sealant cracking around one of those bolts.
Living in France, I decided to get new bolts and plastic caps for the gutter trim before I started to repair the leak from the UK which was quicker and less expensive than getting them from France as they did not have the parts in stock over here.
Removed the original bolts, applied Sikaflex sealant and fitted the new bolts and it cured the problem. The old bolts I still have and checked the thread sizes on them this evening before sending my reply to your post.
Bon Chance with your project whichever option you decide to opt for Thumbs Up
Previous Landies
3.9 SE Classic
3.5 V8 Disco
4.6 P38 HSE
L322 Vogue HSE
TD4 ES Freelander 1 

Post #237145519th Jun 2024 9:19 pm
loanrangie

apollojazz wrote:
I quite liked the fact that mounting a rack directly on the roof nuts would make it a lower profile, especially for a DIY rack. But I'll look into getting a pair of factory rails to make it easier. Still on the lookout for mounting feet options, or DIYing this part as well... I'm sure this has been done before Laughing

Quote:

How come you had to replace it ? Did you have the same thingy inside the roof nut ? Did the sealant get loose ?

If you have the sunroof/panoramic roof you'll want some clearance to clean it. My rack sits about as low as i could get it and still have room to clean the glass and i fit in carparks that are 2.05m.

Click image to enlarge

Post #237155421st Jun 2024 1:58 am
apollojazz

Nice, just for reference how was the repair ? Does the nut unscrew after you remove the sealant ?

Also if that may help others, this man's build for feet that bolt on to existing roof rails :

I saw some people using unistrut to build their own feet, but it doesn't seem like it rests nicely on the roof.
So I think I'll follow Loan's recommendation and grab a pair of roof rails. Looking online I found a factory OEM pair for around 350 EUR for the extended ones. Anyone knows if there are other brands/options ?

Quote:
If you have the sunroof/panoramic roof you'll want some clearance to clean it. My rack sits about as low as i could get it and still have room to clean the glass and i fit in carparks that are 2.05m.

I don't have the sunroof or panoramic roof so that won't be too much of an issue. 2.05m is not bad at all! What wheel size do you have ?
Post #237159421st Jun 2024 3:15 pm
rowlejohn

The repair was fine, no issues for over 6 months even after the heavy downpours we have had here in Vienne. Removed the bolt without removing the old sealant without any problems and was able to remove the sealant after the bolt was removed, the old sealant just sheared off around the bolt head as soon as it started to undo. From memory a 13mm socket and wrench removed it easily. Thumbs Up
Previous Landies
3.9 SE Classic
3.5 V8 Disco
4.6 P38 HSE
L322 Vogue HSE
TD4 ES Freelander 1 

Post #237159521st Jun 2024 3:32 pm
loanrangie

apollojazz wrote:
Nice, just for reference how was the repair ? Does the nut unscrew after you remove the sealant ?

Also if that may help others, this man's build for feet that bolt on to existing roof rails :

I saw some people using unistrut to build their own feet, but it doesn't seem like it rests nicely on the roof.
So I think I'll follow Loan's recommendation and grab a pair of roof rails. Looking online I found a factory OEM pair for around 350 EUR for the extended ones. Anyone knows if there are other brands/options ?

Quote:

I don't have the sunroof or panoramic roof so that won't be too much of an issue. 2.05m is not bad at all! What wheel size do you have ?

265/65/18, ive heard that the aftermarket rails can be hit or missing with fitting so id get originals if you can. 350 EUR is a bit steep.

Post #237163122nd Jun 2024 12:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >