Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Brake problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
STV

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just checked my vacuum pipes and compared them to your picture and they are the same.
Incidentally on inspection of them I also came across some factory labels attached to them with a manufacturing date of 2009. Now given my vehicle is a 2007 it makes sense to me that the modification has been done on mine most likely by land rover themselves.

Post #23414967th Jul 2023 6:32 pm
STV

Today I investigated further into my brake issue and decided to pull the brake servo vacuum pipe and insert a nylon zip tie to check for oil contamination as read previously on this forum.

Verdict: I have major oil in my servo so at least I know for sure now why I have such a braking issue. Please see pic

attached

Anways long story short, My servo is shot so should I just buy a new servo as well as new modified vacuum hose and be content this will give me no further braking issues or does the vacuum pump need changing out as well? My understanding is that the modified vacuum pipe should stop any oil from entering the servo and since mine has already been changed I assume something went bad with it since it was fitted around 2009.

I'm sure I read somewhere on a forum that someone had installed an additional one way valve to the vacuum line to give it a belt and braces solution at overcoming land rovers poor modified design fault.

Interested to hear what others have done with this situation and how long they have had trouble free brakes for?

Post #23416449th Jul 2023 9:48 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I did the P017 brake recall myself in approx 2009. At the time, LR did not accept that my vehicle could possibly have oil in the servo, and under performing brakes, as the VIN of mine was not included in the recall. I had to send a report to VOSA ( as it was then), offering to show them the oil in my servo, before LR finally conceded, and included all VIN’s of that era in the recall (tight, dishonest, irresponsible b**tards Evil or Very Mad ). I replaced the servo, and fitted the extra check valve in the top of the vac pump, and associated pipe work. I did not consider it necessary to replace the master cylinder or vac pump on mine, and ( touch wood) the brakes on mine have remained very good since then ( apart from when a corroded rear brake pipe ‘popped’ after very hard braking Shocked ). Many people had similar done to their D3’s and have had reoccurrence of the oil in servo problem. In these instances, it may well have been necessary to replace the vacuum pump also. Replacement of the master cylinder was deemed back then, as only necessary if engine oil was visible in the brake fluid in the reservoir, which would have likely caused m/ cyl seal contamination. Mine had not got to that stage, and the oil in the servo was approx 1.5” deep, (probably less than yours). Thumbs Up
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #23416629th Jul 2023 11:59 pm
STV

Thanks for your input.
When you say you fitted the extra check valve are you referring to the land rover modified pipe that they came out with to apparently overcome this problem or did you retrofit an aftermarket one way valve into the existing vacuum line?

Post #234167210th Jul 2023 7:13 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

@STV, the kit for the P017 recall included another check valve ball, spring and cover that was fitted into a previously blanked port in the top of the vacuum pump ( therefore there would now be 2 check valves in the top of the vacuum pump, instead of just the one ). The fitted modified pipe work, attaches to these 2 check valves, and looks like it may have a possible check valve ( trumpet shaped part ) in it also. No aftermarket items were fitted. That was the kit, and that’s what I fitted. Along with a new servo, and a brake fluid change / bleed.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years. 

Last edited by DN on 10th Jul 2023 4:08 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #234169110th Jul 2023 10:24 am
STV

Hi DN,

Thanks for your help.
I'm going to hold off with replacing any pump and going down the route of new servo and vacuum pipework.

Provided the new pipework does its intended job then I'm hopeful this will see me through the duration of ownership with my vehicle. 👍

Post #234169210th Jul 2023 10:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >