Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Greetings from ……………… heading west!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 20 of 27 <123 ... 192021 ... 252627>
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Great pics Del, hope your tetanus jabs are up to date Laughing

I can't imagine too many of those bottles making it back to Blighty - can't actually imagine them making it out of Adelaide Rolling with laughter
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #233298611th Apr 2023 1:23 pm
Rescue01

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I hear that they’re a cyclone heading for North Western Australia. Hope you battened down Del with that wine Laughing
 Its not the height of the fall but the sudden stop at the bottom that hurts!!  
Post #233329614th Apr 2023 12:42 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Luckily we’re at t’other end of the country, at top of Yorke Peninsular. Been in a heritage cottage for 3 nights with no t’internet, luckily now in a motel in Kadina and t’internet is back. And data withdrawal shakes are subsiding. Will post some pics later, too busy schluping one of the really nice bottles of VC that escaped Adelaide. Thumbs Up

Post #233336415th Apr 2023 7:59 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Maybe you’re confusing Cape York which is Northwest. Not sure Del would get there in a hire car!

Post #233336915th Apr 2023 10:46 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Deffo not that cape, we’re on the Yorke one, the one where Harvey (Honda HRV hence not called Henry, much to its annoyance) is allowed.

Click image to enlarge

We stayed at the old Post Office in Inneston olde worlde settlement, now part of the “national” park, well SA park. It was pretty basic, luckily had a gas stove as it was a bit parkie. Also was blowing a hoolie last night and lots of clanking from the water tank all night. I think i got about 20 mins sleep last night, but can’t have been as no way am I crankie enough for that!

Pics:

Breakfast view.

Click image to enlarge

The hamlet was an old gypsum mine, pulling gypsum out the lake. We stayed in the old post office. This machine dragged the gypsum to the coast, after horse and steam.

Click image to enlarge

Said coast.

Click image to enlarge

And what’s left if the Ethel, not much left of it, and much less than Google suggests!

Click image to enlarge

Lastly, from a sea view point of view, a most unPC named Chinaman’s Hat Island!

Click image to enlarge

And our SWEEEEEEEEET neighbours. Lovely wallabies that didn’t mind us being there, they just looked at us and munched the grass at dusk.

Click image to enlarge

Not forgetting emus that SWMBO spotted, the cry of EMU ALERT went up!

Click image to enlarge

And geese like birdies!

Click image to enlarge

And passed through Minlaton where this old ac was on display. Harry Butler’s Red Devil Memorial. Lovely old aircraft, and Harry died doing what he loved, flying. Not crashing! Though the latter did shorten his life somewhat. As a RFC pilot in WW1, hats off to him. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Oh, and food pic. Previously we bought a couple of takeaway pizza’s from the only eatery for 100km and they were pretty mingie, plus A$46 for both. Yesterday did the lunch special, beef schnitzel with chips (not fries) and salad for A$10 (£5.50) each. All was forgiven.

Click image to enlarge

Now back to food from Woolworths and a motel with TV and a mobile signal, all is well with the world. Thumbs Up

Post #233337015th Apr 2023 11:04 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

“Woolworths”???? Have you entered some kind of time portal ? If so please bring me back some of the pick & mix Laughing I miss that on a Saturday morning after being dragged round town by the parents Sad
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #233338415th Apr 2023 2:34 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Still here, going strong. Thumbs Up But nothing to do with Woolies of old back home, just same name. And haven’t investigated P&M as my body is a temple. Whistle Whistle

Post #233342215th Apr 2023 11:23 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

And greetings from Eyre Peninsular, or EP as it’s known locally. Thumbs Up Took the ferry from Yorke Peninsular (strangely not YP) that saved us a 350km haul today up to Port Augusta and then back down. It was bye to one massive wheat growing area:

Click image to enlarge

To same on the other side, view from Port Lincoln hotel room.

Click image to enlarge

It’s back to jousting with 3 trailer road train, well trained in the dark art of finding a quick place to pull over and let them through. Discretion is deffo the better part of valour, plus they want to go a lot faster than us, and they are prob pulling over 100t of grain.

Haven’t had a food pic for a while, and in the world of food a couple of days is a while, so this is from lunch/dinner at a fresh fish place the other side of PL. Really nice tempura’s flathead for MrsDSL and I had salt and pepper squid & popcorn prawns, both with salad and as a bonus there is a nice layer of chips under the squid & prawns. Yum!!

Click image to enlarge

Now back to hotel, nice bottle of Coonawarra VC on the go, purely to wash down the bickies. Thumbs Up And yes, it was close enough to 3:30pm for us.

Click image to enlarge

Now just sitting back and enjoying watching the traffic. Unfortunately there was a nicely spec’d up new Defender when we went shopping, “unfortunately” in that I didn’t get a pic of it. Sad

Post #233353817th Apr 2023 8:00 am
DSL

Ukraine 

And last night in PL, or Port Lincoln to those not using initials.

Booooooooootiful sunset Monday night reflected in the clouds, like the sky was on fire.

Click image to enlarge

We did a boat tour around the areas, looking at shipping/fishing and wildlife.

This little boat is now full with 70,000 tonnes of grain and should be off tonight. That’ll make a lot of bread!

Click image to enlarge

Here is the part of the wharf where a bulk carrier decided to use a A$20m new tuna fishing boat as a fender! This is the view the captain would have had.

Click image to enlarge

Before he did this.

Luckily no-one on the fender tuna boat.

Finished the trip seeing Australian sea-lions. Some big boys in there, one giving our boat a bit of attitude. We also saw a couple of dolphins but no pics.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Today was a drive to Coffin Bay and the CB Nat Park. Fantastic views and great spotting Monster Bush Chucks, otherwise known as Emus.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Gratuitous pano.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And as we were talking, well thinking of food, and as it’s almost lunch time back home, food in PL has been fab!! The hotel had steak night yesterday, A$19 (shade over £10) for a 300g rump with chips and salad. Even better with 2 x A$10 vouchers for hotel not servicing the room. For those that haven’t traveled since covid hotels mostly CBAed providing daily room servicing, just something we’re used to. But this hotel gives you a A$10 voucher per service not done, mega happy with that as each of these steaks was A$10, about £5.50. Bargain for fab scoff. All followed up by a bottle of Coonawarra Shiraz back in the room.

Click image to enlarge

And last meal here this lunch time, fantastic local muscles, as seen on the boat yesterday. Even bought some smoked fish for tomorrow’s scoff after we head up the coast a bit. Yum!

Click image to enlarge

Back on the road tomorrow, Steaky Bay here we come!

Post #233378519th Apr 2023 9:04 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Few pics from the road. First the good old Aussie Road Train! Luckily didn’t see any yesterday, this one was a couple of days ago as driver wondered if he’d fit through KFC’s drive through.

Click image to enlarge

Each of those trucks carries 100t (we think) and the silo farm at the port holds 400,000t, that’s a lot of KFCs needed to fill the storage! And that ship in the above pics takes 70,000t, it headed off to Aden yesterday am, so shade under only 6 of them would empty it!

Thankfully on the road yesterday there was virtually no trucks, and very little anything else.

Now the Aussies take their tin tenting very seriously and they have 4x4/Ute & van combos most here would sell a kidney for, but this trumps all! Put Harvey well in the shade, well would have if the sun had been out. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Finally, just S of Streaky Bacon Bay. Some of the oldest rocks on the planet (3Ga) and called Murphie’s Haystacks. Nice little side trip.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Mind you, not a lot else around!

Click image to enlarge

Now heading up to Ceduna and keep heading W. They say carry lots of liquids when in the desert, tick, though ours is grape juice variety! Thumbs Up

Post #233400621st Apr 2023 12:05 am
DSL

Ukraine 

And greetings from:

Click image to enlarge

And to save peeps googling where that is, it’s here:

Click image to enlarge

On the drive from Ceduna it went from

Click image to enlarge

To

Click image to enlarge

To

Click image to enlarge

To

Click image to enlarge

And

Click image to enlarge

Not sure re the treeless bit, a few trees might have been spied on the horizon.

Promise of a nice combo of wildlife spotting

Click image to enlarge

And the sign from the RH, not stalking Aussie caravan owner’s, honest. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

But they might have been keeping out the way of the big 4 trailer ore carried RTs!

Click image to enlarge

This place has one of the holes in the worlds longest game of golf (as signposted in above pic, 1,365km Kalgoorlie to Ceduna) near here is the Dingo’s Den hole, par 5 (whatever that means) & 538m . Mind you, this handy snake ID guide on the back of the hotel door is enough to put me off!!

Click image to enlarge

Just got to remember I don’t have to our run the snake, just outrun SWMBO. Whistle Whistle

Post #233401121st Apr 2023 6:55 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Interesting concept! Golf on a road trip! I take it you didn’t fancy a go?

https://www.nullarborlinks.com/downloads/N...mation.pdf

Post #233401821st Apr 2023 7:56 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Not really, never played golf before and not sure this would be the best place to start, considering the critters that hide in the rough which I know I would hit. The word “neurotoxin” comes up a bit too frequently when googling the various snake types. Whistle Whistle

Post #233402121st Apr 2023 8:37 am
DSL

Ukraine 

And here is said hole. Just imagine all things snake-like beastie on both side of the fairway!

Click image to enlarge

And a beautiful sunset when seen from the RH helipad. First time we’ve stayed somewhere with its own helipad!!

Click image to enlarge

Now settled in watching The De Vinci Code on TV, all while improving the mpg of Harvey by reducing the weight of cargo (of the VC variety) in the boot. Hic! Thumbs Up

Post #233403321st Apr 2023 11:51 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Great pics! Fabulous country.

I played golf in a place called Lake King, WA, not a big distance from Norseman, and the locals used to mix old sump oil with sand for the 'greens' so it would be reasonably hard for a ball to roll over. Smooth out any marks or divets with a pipe after. Ingenious bas**rds out there Thumbs Up

Also, very important to put your ball where you can see it. Anything gone into a bush was left there. Between redbacks and snakes, it wasn't worth the risk to put your hand into.

Nobody should die for a pointless sport like that Shocked Laughing

Continued safe travels Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #233403621st Apr 2023 12:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 20 of 27 <123 ... 192021 ... 252627>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >