Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

RECORD SET
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
pko

England 

Looking at the photo on Jords comment, they all seem to be young men who should man up and stay to fight for their country, not run away.
 never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

current motor RRsport hse

prev. cars TD5
3 Ford Explorers
2 Ford Mavericks
Sierra 4x4 

Post #230522923rd Aug 2022 12:02 pm
al cope

England 

Can anyone explain why so many want to come here ( as opposed to staying in any of the other European countries they have travelled through). It can’t be because a few if them speak English. Our benefits system is often cited as being abused, so is it better than could be obtained in any of the European countries they’ve come through. If it is then surely limiting this in some way and getting the message out that benefits are harder to come by in the uk than elsewhere would mean less would want to come here.

But is that drives folks to want to be here

I have heard being safe from what is happening in their own country, but they are safe once crossed into Europe so that doesn’t wash.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #230523123rd Aug 2022 12:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:
If you were in a position where all the possessions you had were those you were wearing and carrying, you might want to keep your mobile phone. Wouldn’t you?

May be but when you see them walking up the beach in designer clothes and the best mobile phones money can buy, then you start to question what they do and don't have.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #230523223rd Aug 2022 12:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

pko wrote:
Looking at the photo on Jords comment, they all seem to be young men who should man up and stay to fight for their country, not run away.

On the flip side they could be men at risk of persecution, have been tortured, are the wrong religion, have fought against an oppressive regime and lost. There could be so many reasons why.

Sadly, ‘manning up’ and fighting for his country might well be why they have come here. Just think of the Afghani men left behind that worked for the UK or NATO whose lives are in significant danger.

Migration and asylum are complex issues.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #230523623rd Aug 2022 1:14 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Maybe a bit of perspective is needed

UNHCR figures

89 million people displaced world wide. More then UK population

27 million people are refugees worldwide, equivalent to about 40% of UK population

Turkey has 3.9 million refugees or about 4.6% of population

Germany has 2 million refugees or about 2.4% of population

Poland has 1.2 million refugees or about 3% of population

France has 543,000 refugees or about0.84% of population

UK has 174,500 refugees or about 0.257% of population

Figures taken from UNHCR. Yes those figures might be out of date a bit as with Ukraine etc figures are fluid but it gives some perspective to refugees in UK

Quote:

Until the start of the war in Ukraine, Europe — with the exception of Germany — had comparatively smaller numbers of refugees. Poland has, however, opened its borders to fleeing Ukrainians and there are almost 1.2 million Ukrainians registered for protection in the country.

By contrast there were just 137,078 refugees in the UK in the middle of last year, and since February it has offered refuge to 37,400 Ukrainian

Quote:

According to the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees UNHCR data, as of 19 July 2022, close to 6 million individual refugees from Ukraine were recorded across Europe – a large majority being women and children – with the largest figures in countries neighbouring Ukraine

I.e. UK has taken in 0.6% of the Ukraine refugees!

So get things in perspective!

Farage etc lied to UK publlic and some of the daily rags just peddle his lies etc.

Brendan

Post #230524023rd Aug 2022 1:34 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

leeds wrote:
Now who was it said they do not care who is the next U.K. PM as long as they are white and Christian?

Now I do not pretend to be Christian but I am sure the Christian holy bible says something about helping strangers in need.

One has to admire the lack of Christian spirit being demonstrated here whilst wanting a Christian as the next U.K. PM

Brendan

I assume you are doing something/anything to help?

Post #230524123rd Aug 2022 1:35 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

I’ve suggested a solution, do you have one?

D4 Face lifted
V8 Front brakes
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #230524223rd Aug 2022 1:36 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Russell wrote:
LT wrote:
If you were in a position where all the possessions you had were those you were wearing and carrying, you might want to keep your mobile phone. Wouldn’t you?

May be but when you see them walking up the beach in designer clothes and the best mobile phones money can buy, then you start to question what they do and don't have.

I’m not sure those “designer” clothes are the genuine item. If you had to choose just one set of clothes, what would you wear, your best or worst ones?

Would you rather they were shoeless and clothed in rags?

I’m not saying this isn’t a serious concern or that everyone who crosses the channel is a genuine asylum seeker, but statistics are showing that the majority are.

So let’s not prejudge any of them until their cases have been heard. They are all fellow human beings, who for whatever reasons have left behind their homes, family and friends, pets and possessions etc. I can’t imagine how that must feel.

Lets show them some compassion and not fall into the Daily Mail trap. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography (now semi-retired) 

Last edited by LT on 23rd Aug 2022 2:17 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #230524323rd Aug 2022 1:39 pm
lynalldiscovery

pko wrote:

I said the exact same thing a few years back, all the incoming young 'boys' had beards, was not so many years ago they would have gotten a white feather from the village elders.

Back then I got shot down in flames, and here we are 10s of thousands of scroungers draining an already drained economy.

Simply put, right or wrong we could no afford it back then, and we certainly cannot afford it now.

Post #230524423rd Aug 2022 1:40 pm
lynalldiscovery

Moo wrote:
I’ve suggested a solution, do you have one?

I assume you were quoting me?

If so you wont like my solution, but I bet you a pint of ale if you ask any working man/woman/Paye sucker what they would do and it would be along the same lines.

Post #230524523rd Aug 2022 1:45 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

lynalldiscovery wrote:
leeds wrote:
Now who was it said they do not care who is the next U.K. PM as long as they are white and Christian?

Now I do not pretend to be Christian but I am sure the Christian holy bible says something about helping strangers in need.

One has to admire the lack of Christian spirit being demonstrated here whilst wanting a Christian as the next U.K. PM

Brendan

I assume you are doing something/anything to help?

Unfortunately I do not get a vote on who will be the next UK PM. If I did I would not based my decision on racist beliefs. I want the best person for the job in hand, skin colour and religion would be irrelevant to me, however some other people have racist attitudes.

I do not pretend to be a Christian, however I have helped by funding the education of orphans in India, loans to small business people in places such as the Philippines (hand up rather then hand out) yes have donated to various disaster appeals including Ukraine. Only small things but as that slogan goes every little helps.

I am not a Christian but probably have more of a humane attitude then those who want a UK PM to be Christian. I will help where I can and as a UK taxpayer I want the UK to help when and where it can.

Brendan

Post #230524823rd Aug 2022 2:11 pm
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

As these 'migrants' pay quite large amounts to people trafficers, the majority are not poor.

There are those in our own society who are financially worse off and should be our priority, not those paying to come here and claim poverty etc.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #230525323rd Aug 2022 3:51 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

The problem is people make sweeping statements and judgments without understanding or knowing the individuals situation or even how they fund their travel.

Yes, some will be economic migrants but others will be escaping persecution etc. In all the pictures you've seen, can you differentiate those that economic migrants and those that have escaped torture?

Also, they get almost no economic help when in the UK.

The issue is too complex for simplistic solutions.

D4 Face lifted
V8 Front brakes
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #230525423rd Aug 2022 4:14 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Trailered Movements wrote:
As these 'migrants' pay quite large amounts to people trafficers, the majority are not poor.

There are those in our own society who are financially worse off and should be our priority, not those paying to come here and claim poverty etc.

Dave

The numbers of people in the UK who are poor is a domestic political issue and has nothing to do with choosing, or otherwise, to help others.

That we have so many people struggling in this country is sad indictment of the political choices made for decades.

That we seemingly want to throw people back in to the sea is a sad indictment of the British people.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #230525723rd Aug 2022 4:19 pm
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Simply put, coming to the UK illegally, no matter what the reason, has to stop.

There is a system to which you apply for asylum, if it’s not fit for purpose you change it.

I don’t have a problem with genuine cases, I do with others, which I believe is far more than most of us appreciate.

Coming across the Chanel in an inflatable shouldn’t be seen as an action with no consequences for both those availing themselves of the service of traffickers nor the traffickers themselves.

Just my penny worth.

Post #230529623rd Aug 2022 8:26 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >