Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

engine swapping land rover lr3 4.0lv6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
toxxic

Canada 2008 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3
engine swapping land rover lr3 4.0lv6

i live in canada and have a 2008 land rover lr3 4.0l v6. is it possible to swap this with the 2.7tdv6 that is found in the british discovery 3? that would be a diesel swap. what components would i need? any ideas anyone? where could i get one and all the components. i doubt it'd be available here in north america but can i get it shipped from uk to here? will it work the zf 6 speed transmission?
does ecu needs to be replaced aswell? any other electrical?
would probably like to delete/disable egr / def (i dont know if there is def system in the older 2.7tdv6) and the dpf right off the bat and the ecu to be pre-tuned)
also probably remove the cats in the exhaust and the resonators but keep the muffler.
 Land Rover LR3 SE v4.0

Matte Black Wrapped with Chrome Edging, Front Grille, Aftermarket Reversing Camera, Aftermarket Parking Sensors, Curt Class III Hitch, 

Post #22827639th Mar 2022 10:41 pm
garrycol

Australia 

Anything is possible but not just cost effective. Sell your car and buy a TDV6 from a left hand country and import it but I assume regs would prevent this. Maybe a parts car would be allowed. As a min you would need engine/gearbox, full wiring loom and all ecus all diesel ancilliaries like fuel tank and fuel lines and much much more - as said anything is possible but just not worth the hassle.

Post #228280510th Mar 2022 4:07 am
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Not economical, the transmissions are engine specific so the TDV6 wont fit to your petrol V6 trans.

Post #228280610th Mar 2022 5:16 am
Yankee_Rover

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

What’s different between the ZF 6HP26X used in the 2.7 and the 4.0? I’d expect just the bellhousing and maybe torque convertor or input shaft?

As previously said, you’d be better off buying a different car. In the US (I realize different from Canada) you cannot import engines that were not approved by the EPA; you can get waivers for engines >22 model years old (NHTSA prevents vehicle imports until >25 MY). I think Canada is more lenient on timeline, but otherwise similar.

What is your motivation for an engine swap?

If you are a masochist, Ford used a more modern version of the 2.7 TDV6 in NAS vehicles — the 3.0L V6 diesel in the 2018-2021 F150. You might be able to get engine and controls parts from a wrecked F150 and import LR diesel parts from Australia or Europe and make it work, but you’d spend a lot of money and may not have anything to show for it. I wouldn’t attempt this.
 2008 LR3 HSE, 4.4L V8  
Post #228287510th Mar 2022 5:45 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

toxxic, have you not read about the problems with tdv6 engines ? …..Even if it were viable, it would be utter madness to swap. Laughing Laughing
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #228287810th Mar 2022 6:12 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Bell housing's are cast with the case and not removable, daft idea as it would make more sense to have it bolt on.

Post #228358415th Mar 2022 11:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >