Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Steering sensor delay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Shealesy

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Steering sensor delay

Hi all, hopefully a small easy one for the experienced minds in here to throw some light on before I start firing the parts cannon.

I seem to have a degree of lag or misinformation on my steering angle sensor.

First off, in live data (GAP IID) watching the steering angle if I turn the steering wheel slowly and smoothly (parked on loose gravel) I can get beyond 90deg physically before it registers a change in angle electronically, but it will suddenly register whatever angle I’ve turned the wheel. It’ll jump from nigh on straight ahead to 90deg+ to match what I’ve physically done with the wheel. If I move the wheel quite fast, it’s changes truly live.

So suspect no. 1 is steering angle sensor.

Secondly when driving along if I take tight a turn out of a junction and whip the wheel back straight, the 4x4 info screen takes about 5 seconds to match up. The wheels on screen slowly come around to straight ahead despite having been straightened up quite fast.
Possible CAN BUS issue or is it just the 17yr old computer being a 17yr old computer?

I’m getting the HDC/SP/lowered suspension on right hand bends at anything above 40mph too which must be related, but I had suspected a soft tyre or my NSF leaky air strut, until spotting that lag a few minutes ago. I’ll check the tyre pressure next time I head out, but nothing is noticeably soft when parked, except that strut…

Suspect no. 2 (and high on the to do list) is NSF strut, so I’ll be ordering a pair soon, along with a valve block seal kit.

Other things on my check list (later today/at the weekend) will be SAS connection, and to have a look for the PDC module as connection as that is a permanent fault, though I don’t think it will be on the high speed can, or is it?
Other things to note, she’s bearing a brand new Exide EA1000 battery measuring 12.7v (multimeter) before I jumped in, running voltage (as indicated by IID which tends to be lower than my meter) was 14.8/14.9v, so fairly sure this isn’t a battery/alternator issue.

Thanks all! I look forward to seeing what all of your massive brains think
 D3 HSE - MY05 - Java black
Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer
GAP IIDBT G3
2x Colliewobbles and a Kelpie 

Post #22817223rd Mar 2022 12:40 pm
Shealesy

Today I tried to recreate the HDC/SP/Lowered fault which it had been doing consistently for a week every time I’d been out, with the thought of getting the fault codes before clearing them, and would it do it? Would it Censored

Still getting DSC kicking in just as hard, on the same right handers at the same speed, but it’s not triggering any lasting faults. Wasn’t paying much attention to the screen to see if it was still lagging, too busy throwing it around bends trying to cause a fault…
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #22822196th Mar 2022 7:57 pm
Shealesy

So after a failed MOT (apparent wheel bearing) I’m in the process of rebuilding the NSR corner (waiting on the bearing and a bush). Otherwise I was pleased with the MOT, not another mark against it beside this one wheel bearing.

The bearing would explain the DSC activation, but could the top knuckle bush also cause this? And could the stator/sensor relationship cause a lag in the on-screen steering angle display? Wheel speeds all match on IID.

That bush is shot, tiny tear and a little loose, the bearing felt tight to me. Smooth, quiet, and the calliper moves with the wheel (due to the shot bush).

Current state of affairs (except now suitably covered in copper grease awaiting reassembly). Came apart reasonably easy, “old” bearing looks shiny new, but drive nut looks cheap so suspect it’s not a quality part and not sad to be changing it anyway.

Trying to find someone with a hydraulic press nearby so that once the parts have arrived, I can get it all back together and get my free partial retest before the 21st!
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #228313212th Mar 2022 11:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >