Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine "out" without body off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

what's the thread it's in ? might give OP some pointers.

Post #224111610th Jul 2021 8:12 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/rusty-boot-...89350.html

Post #224113010th Jul 2021 9:27 am
hotshot

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Pete K wrote:
There should be a plastic cover under the gearbox.
Doesn’t so a lot

That part number is between the bottom of the car and gearbox

Think it's probably just something autos have, it really did look like something else they'd chosen not to put back

Post #224113810th Jul 2021 10:26 am
hotshot

G3Z wrote:
I’m needing to tackle the crossover pipe ASAP. Can you give any advice, with having just removed it with everything in situ? Very Happy

I'm only part way through yet but; what I've ended up doing is following a thread on here to get the crossover pipe off (I just searched "crossover pipe removal") I had the advantage that all three brackets were missing - I got the three plus bolts from craddocks but I'll post part numbers when I'm sure they're right.

I took both wheels off and the heat shields in the wheel arches, the downpipe/cat and it's heat shield (the front bit by the turbo), then the one that covers the flange itself and started on the nuts, the nearside top one is a bit of a pig and I've opted to cut it off with a dremel which left me with a 8mm ish stud to get hold of once the pipe was out. The other two on the nearside aren't too bad but you do need half decent tools and single hex is the way to go.

The three flange nuts on the drivers side (right) aren't a problem really, the awkward one that faces forwards is easiest done with about 2ft of 3/8 drive extensions over the top of the alternator (I'd already removed the fan etc) and you need to disconnect the battery for that obviously. A lot of the nuts were a better fit with a 1/2" socket than a 13mm.

I supported the gearbox with a jack and removed the crossmember so I could adjust the height a little to help with removing the pipe, I'm not sure if I needed to or not. The pipe came out of the drivers side with some gentle wobbling and turning etc. I didn't disconnect the gear linkages etc as I didn't expect to be moving the gearbox far - if you do the same, remember you can't lower the gearbox much because it'll be putting strain on the linkages etc.

First job today is to do the fuel pump belt, I don't expect it to be fun at all but at least it'll be done. Then I may do the welding, either that or get the cut stud out and fit a new one and then see what time I have left

Post #224114110th Jul 2021 10:57 am
hotshot

Well, I haven't achieved as much as I would have liked. I guess I just wasn't really in the mood. I got the welding done though, it's not the tidiest welding I've ever done but it'll do - just waiting on the Amazon man to bring some exhaust wrap, they tend to come late though so I'm hoping to get the belt done tomorrow while I'm waiting

And a picture as everyone likes em;

Click image to enlarge

The original plan was to weld "braces" over the old flexys before/as I cut them but an elaborate jig got me out of the real job for longer Laughing

Interesting to see a Ford symbol stamped on the flange though, I thought it was a French engine!?p

Post #224125710th Jul 2021 10:11 pm
Breg90

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hotshot,

Like the solution/work.

The engine was designed and is made by ford. It was designed to go in Jaguar and LR cars + Peugot. If you google 'ford lion engine' there is info on it. The internet of lies implies that Peugot input to the engine design spec so that it would fit/be suitable for use in cars.

Adrian
 Series one 1949 - in bits, chassis is strapped to the ceiling in my garage (beside the canoe)
LR 90 - In bits
Disco 3 - currently in bits 

Post #224127311th Jul 2021 12:02 am
hotshot

Explains a lot; Fix Or Repair Daily with the frogs in the mix = so much swearing that even the dog stays out of the way Rolling with laughter

Post #224127611th Jul 2021 12:28 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

It was fitted to pug and Citroen c6

Post #224128411th Jul 2021 8:08 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I downloaded the complete history of the TDV6 of the internet it was a very interesting read I will see if I can find it. LR had quite a fight with the French as traditionally LR would only use one foundry to produce there blocks and the French used many different ones with no real quality control
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #224129011th Jul 2021 9:27 am
hotshot

Definitely a bit of an eye opener. When I first bought the car it needed new brakes all round, an air compressor and had an EPB fault, my first thought when I got under it? "Its built like an effing Ford!"

Anyway, progress; the belt's done, crossover pipe wrapped and fitted complete with all three brackets for.the first time since the clutch was done - I left bad feedback on Google but apparently I never took it to Lincoln a.s..... hmmm, well, I'll never take it back, that much is true.

So now the rebuild begins, the transmission breathers are being a mega headache at the moment (never refitted, bent to fubar and the little bracket dropped out when I removed them, not attached at all) but, once I've sorted that,, it should all be simple stuff from there.

Final thoughts on the crossover pipe would be to lower the transmission (see workshop manual, transmission removal) and use a really long extension (over 2ft) along the top of the gearbox to get the big, main bracket off (10mm socket). The left flange top nut is a pain but a swivel head ratchet spanner will get it once the battery tray is removed and the pipe will come out on the right hand side if all the brackets are off and the gearbox is at about it's usual height, takes a little gentle twisting and rocking but, with a little patience, it's easy enough

Post #224139212th Jul 2021 12:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >