Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Not steroetyping, but....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
N5Fav

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Not steroetyping, but....

I'm always being told not to stereotype nowadays, must be an age thing.
So coming back home along the M1 with tin shed in tow, 4 lanes of moving traffic (no hard shoulder), myself in the inside lane, cruise set at 60mph, going nicely.
I see a Toyota Prius taxi in the emergency refuge lay by pull in thingy. My internal plonker alert goes off.
Prius starts to move, then stops, I think 'good he's seen me',
Then he just pulls out in front of me, I'd already scanned the mirrors & knew i couldn't change lanes.
The ABS on the Disco worked well, the brakes on the caravan worked well - even to the point that the caravan tyres squealed.
The horn and the main beam do work on the Disco, but the Prius driver felt 30MPH was acceptable for a few hundred yards before eventually getting up to some sort of motorway speed.
Without steroetyping, but working from my experience, I think all Prius taxi's should be painted in dayglo orange, have a flashing orange beacon fitted to the roof like the milkfloats need, and have warning signs all over.
I know, it's not the cars fault, but they do seem to attract a 'certain' type of driver.
So I'm not stereotyping because I'm not allowed to, but just using my experience.
 1994 Defender 300tdi 110 commercial
2007 Disco 2.7 XS Buckingham Blue
1959 Standard 10 Coffe & Cream
1974 Vauxhall Magnum 1800 estate Olivine Starfire Green
1994 Renault 19 Cabrio
1995 Kawasaki GPz 1100 

Post #223638916th Jun 2021 1:21 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

You are indeed fortunate that the vehicle behind you also responded as quickly, and the one behind that, etc.
Exactly the scenario that has me doing as increasing numbers of HGV drivers do, and not travelling in Lane 1. Which puts these "smart" motorways back to where they were before all the disruption and delay.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #223639316th Jun 2021 1:34 pm
James W

Saudi Arabia 

Do taxi drivers that gained a licence in another country need to resit a full UK test in order to be a taxi driver here? Genuine question.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #223639416th Jun 2021 1:36 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Wasn't near an airport was it ? increasing numbers of drivers (not just of taxis) are using the hard shoulder near Manchester Airport as a waiting place so they don't get stung with higher charges for waiting within the airport itself.

Post #223639916th Jun 2021 1:49 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

James W wrote:
Do taxi drivers that gained a licence in another country need to resit a full UK test in order to be a taxi driver here? Genuine question.

https://www.gov.uk/taxi-driver-licence

Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography (now semi-retired) 

Post #223640916th Jun 2021 2:25 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

I do know that taxi drivers do not need to reside or have their cars registered in the same area in which they obtain a taxi license.
i.e someone who lives in Leeds, and their car is registered in Leeds can apply for a taxi licence in Sheffield and work their quite legitimately.
A friend of mine is on the parish council that approves or rejects applications for taxi licenses, and told me of a case where an applicant from a totally different part of the country applied for a license in her area of responsibility.
No real issues with that, other than that the person applying had already been rejected by 2 other councils as he had 2 rape convictions against him.
Local parish approved his license as he had a right to provide for his family, regardless of any potential threat to female passengers.
Consequently i have a very serious mistrust of taxi drivers particularly were my daughter to get in one alone.
Also for many taxi drivers their standard of driving leaves a lot to be desired in some cases
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #223641716th Jun 2021 3:04 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

The rule around Manchestr (and maybe nationally ?) is your licence allows you to work TWO licensing zones away from the one you registerd in.

We see a an awful lot of Rossendale plates round here ... think it featured in Private Eye once for this legal dodge. The area had something like 4 times the per "local head" number of licences issued compared with the likes of Salford and Manchester.

Post #223641916th Jun 2021 3:16 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

RogB wrote:

A friend of mine is on the parish council that approves or rejects applications for taxi licenses

Where's that? Taxi licensing is a District Council / Unitary Authority responsibility.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #223642516th Jun 2021 3:39 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

See them all the time middle of the night going up bluebell hill at 40 mph, they also do 40 on the way down, it is a 70mph road!

Post #223643016th Jun 2021 3:56 pm
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

RogB wrote:
I do know that taxi drivers do not need to reside or have their cars registered in the same area in which they obtain a taxi license.
i.e someone who lives in Leeds, and their car is registered in Leeds can apply for a taxi licence in Sheffield and work their quite legitimately.
A friend of mine is on the parish council that approves or rejects applications for taxi licenses, and told me of a case where an applicant from a totally different part of the country applied for a license in her area of responsibility.
No real issues with that, other than that the person applying had already been rejected by 2 other councils as he had 2 rape convictions against him.
Local parish approved his license as he had a right to provide for his family, regardless of any potential threat to female passengers.
Consequently i have a very serious mistrust of taxi drivers particularly were my daughter to get in one alone.
Also for many taxi drivers their standard of driving leaves a lot to be desired in some cases

Hmmm.

Private Hire Licensing usually works on the 'triple lock' basis, as I understand it - which is to say that you apply to a local authority for your PH driver's licence; if you licence your own PH vehicle then it has to be licenced by the same authority who licence you as a driver; and it then has to be run under a PH operator licence issued by that same local authority (either your own, or a local taxi company's).

Which part of the country do you live in where it's in the gift of a parish council to issue or deny PH licences? I thought it was something which was determined at local authority level.

As for someone with two rape convictions applying for a PH licence - my understanding is that any local authority will require an enhanced DBS disclosure when applying for a PH driving licence, and a rape conviction would put the stoppers on that?

Post #223647616th Jun 2021 8:00 pm
TigerRecovery

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

When I worked in Coventry there were more Wolverhampton registered taxis in the area than locals. At one point I believe their licensing rate increased by several hundred percent. It helped the Wolverhampton council as they kept the fees but the Ubers weren’t in use there. I think they worked out at one taxi for 4 people in the area.
 1972 Range Rover Classic 2 door V8
2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SCRAPPED
2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark
2022 Volvo XC40 T5 PHEV 282HP FWD 3 cylinder! 

Post #223648016th Jun 2021 8:21 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
RogB wrote:

A friend of mine is on the parish council that approves or rejects applications for taxi licenses

Where's that? Taxi licensing is a District Council / Unitary Authority responsibility.

sorry thats my mistake, funnily enough she posted on her official facebook page this morning and she is on the district council, not the parish.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #223654417th Jun 2021 7:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >