Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Normal compressor run time to fill air tank ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
alexlr

Romania 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Normal compressor run time to fill air tank ?

As per the title I am looking for info with regards to the time it takes the compressor to go from 'empty' tank (suspension height change overused until it displays 'raising slowly') to full. In other words from the moment the height change is complete to when the compressor cuts out.

This is on a 2004 D3 with original Hitachi compressor that was refreshed about 3 years ago (new filters, desiccant, piston ring)

I am trying to diagnose an intermittent suspension fault message that usually comes up 7-10 seconds after startup but sometimes doesn't. I suspect the valve in the compressor or the pressure sensor and I want to rule out a tired compressor.

Thanks!

Post #21784937th Oct 2020 8:15 am
garrycol

Australia 

It depends on what the height change is - from access to offroad will take a lot longer than from onroad to offroad.

From a completely empty tank and going from access to onroad height and the compressor then filling the tank as well my estimate is 3 or 4 minutes.

Post #21785007th Oct 2020 8:34 am
alexlr

Romania 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I know it can differ that's why I emptied the tank by repeated up/down movements until it showed "suspension raising slowly" I waited until it reached the selected height level and then I timed it until the compressor stopped. Got about 3 and a half minutes. Don't know if that is in the ballpark or not hence the question.

If any of you ever timed it i would like to hear your results especially if you did it with the older (hitachi) compressor since the newer one seems to be faster.

Post #21785027th Oct 2020 8:43 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

alexlr That time sounds about normal, I would check for leaks on the air tank if that is still the original one?. But without doing a full bubble leak check on the complete system your stabbing in the dark.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #21785047th Oct 2020 8:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
garrycol

Australia 

alexlr wrote:
Got about 3 and a half minutes. Don't know if that is in the ballpark or not hence the question.

If any of you ever timed it i would like to hear your results especially if you did it with the older (hitachi) compressor since the newer one seems to be faster.

I said 3 to 4 minutes and you got 3.5 - seems in the ball park to me Whistle - and is a 13 year old Hitachi. Smile

Post #21785297th Oct 2020 11:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >