Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Wierd electrical issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Weedyapl

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Wierd electrical issue

Hi all, hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.

Noticed yesterday key fob didnt work when i went to open the car to grab sunglasses. Thought it was FOB that might have died no biggy. I was in a rush and so had to leave it and come back few hours later.

Tried to open it with the spare and also dead. Odd cause i know i just replaced the battery in this second FOB no way it can be flat.

Unlocked car manually and alarm went off soon as door opened at 10pm fun times. Disconnected the battery to shut the damn thing up until i can look at it today.

Saw on here you need to insert key to turn off the alarm sure ok. So this morning shorted bonnet switch reconnected battery and it alarmed again then entered through passenger door and inserted the key for 11 mins or so everything lit up FOB worked all good.

Tightened up battery terminals and walked away for 5 mins came back and key FOBs are dead AGAIN and key in ignition does absolutely nothing. No dash lights, nothing. Can't crank it etc...

Batteries got 12.4v

Is there some sort of process you have to do after your alarm kicks off to stop your car acting dead?

When i parked it up it was fine day before and i drove it a good 40 odd mins.

Battery in it is fairly old I bought it on 27th Nov 2015 (thanks forum for recording that info)
 Aidan
============= 

Post #216957724th Aug 2020 12:56 am
Weedyapl

She kinda needs a new battery anyway now regardless as its been 5 years now. I'll whack one in and cross my fingers and toes. If there is a procedure after alarm goes off that you need to do with your key would be great if someone can let me know. I've never had the alarm go off before.
 Aidan
============= 

Post #216957824th Aug 2020 1:19 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hiya

I’m wondering if green wires that are down by Ur passenger side may need looking at

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/central-loc...03468.html

These wires can sometimes cause the central locking not to work

So would disconnect ur battery first to stop the alarm, then remove the passenger door sill and check the wires by cutting off the covering , striping back the wires and reconnecting them

Have put the link above for u

Indeed the cars battery standing should be at a min of 12.6Vdc , it might just be the main battery thats low but at least with it being at home u can put it on charge , then whilst ur waiting to then check the green splice wires , then get a new battery after , they seem to last around 5x years

Also check the channel that ur wiring loom sits in isn’t full of water

Hope that helps Thumbs Up

Ps, also if I may add plse, if u have a cordless tooth brush u can put ur spare fob onto the base to charge it , as the keys are inductive charging , Also helps to alternate the key fobs , normally charge when u put the key in ur Ignition

Post #216957924th Aug 2020 2:19 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Interesting happenings.

My keys have both started to 'play up' so I am about to get both batteries replaced (even though your replaced one gave trouble.

BTW: Did you mean: Weird ?
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #216958424th Aug 2020 6:11 am
Weedyapl

Thanks for the link will check tomorrow
 Aidan
============= 

Post #216958824th Aug 2020 7:17 am
Weedyapl

All good was the battery. Lost the conical nut down into the abyss. Fashioned a conical washer out of a flat one with a hammer and it does the job fine.

Thanks all for the help glad it wasn't something more sinister!
 Aidan
============= 

Post #216982025th Aug 2020 8:07 am
Weedyapl

gstuart wrote:

I’m wondering if green wires that are down by Ur passenger side may need looking at

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/central-loc...03468.html

You were right after replacing battery it worked fine for couple of days then both FOBs stopped working again but cars not dead this time thankfully.

Did the green splice and fixed it all up - water proofed and cable tied it to the top of the loom. Made some "enhancements" to the bottom plastic trim to get it back in nice and easy. I can see why some take the seat out.

Easy to see why this happens as well, that splice is on the bottom right where moisture collects and after reassembling i noticed there is a hole in the trim right above where it goes so all it would take is to have the door open with a bit of heavy sideways rain and an unlucky droplet.

Very poor design really i might fill that hole in the trim to stop rain getting in as well when i can be bothered just a nice blob of silicon underneath should do it.
 Aidan
============= 

Post #217019127th Aug 2020 7:01 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hiya

Happy days , Glad u found the issue, must admit I also got mine out without removing the seat , but know it can be awkward sliding the cover off

I used some flexible conduit then heat shrink to protect a few wires that I’ve repaired, including places where they’ve been prone to rubbing against other metal parts etc

See what u mean about that channel, when I first got mine it was full of water , found the A trims were loose, done the mod to the A pillar by blocking up the bottom hole, used silicone as well and some tyre repair patches , then the door trim wasnt installed correctly , haven’t got a sunroof so don’t have to worry , so far so good of not having any further water ingress, oh, plus adjusted the door strikers so the doors closed a bit tighter , that also stopped some wind noise that I was getting

Pleased the link helped u and all back up and running Thumbs Up

Post #217025027th Aug 2020 12:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >