DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Help with HPFP and deciphering a VIN
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BPattenden

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Help with HPFP and deciphering a VIN

Hi guys,

Within the last few months I bought a 57 plate Disco 3 HSE having owned a long list of Land Rovers but none with electrics more complicated than the Td5. I bought it knowing it had an intermittent problem with dropping into limp mode/F on the dash, HDC fault, lowered suspension, and limited gears every so often. Sometimes it also comes up with parking brake fault when this all goes down, however a quick flick off and on of the engine sorts this out for sometimes a mile and sometimes 100 miles driving beautifully before it all lights up again. I was told by the previous owner that his garage said it was likely the Low pressure fuel pump and that error codes seemed to point to that. However I tested voltage at the fuse fuse box for the pump and it was drawing a pretty steady 4.2 amp, which reading on here is well within reason and also pressure at the Schrader valve was near enough 7psi as to put me off changing it as the first fix I did so I went about cleaning some sensors and changing brake light switch along with checking bulbs for damaged filaments (all ok). However the issue has been happening more regularly the last few weeks so in the nice weather I dropped the tank and swapped out the in tank pump for a new unbranded one that was identical except for being an EBay China special. The gauze on the pump was filthy and full of jelly like black lumps so I figured that was probably the issue. However when all back together, started and ran fine no issues until 8 miles later it all happened again. So now I'm looking at getting a cheap 2nd hand HPFP off ebay to see if that sorts the issue. If it does I will invest in a nice new Walboro tank pump/unit and VDO HP fuel pump but coming in at over 1k for both items I dont want new until I know it's the issue. Only problem is the pump changes from Euro 3 to Euro 4 over the MY2007. My VIN number suggests my motor is MY2008 so well within Euro 4 but I can't find a cat on it for love nor money and the VIN seems to verify this so does that mean its Euro 3 spec?

Any help appreciated, Thanks
Ben

Post #21665918th Aug 2020 11:13 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, welcome

Easy to see...

If the form and model of your HPFP is like this one (look at the mounting angle of pressure sensor) 90 degrees

It is EU3...
If otherwise it is EU4
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21666039th Aug 2020 12:12 am
BPattenden

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm going to have a look after work today, I got a Haynes manual and it says that when messing about with the HP pump if you disconnect the High pressure fuel lines they must be discarded and new ones fitted. Is this a must (they will never seal properly?) or will I get away with one more use while I test the 2nd hand pump? I will be changing the belt and tensioner anyway around this time regardless. Thanks

Post #216686710th Aug 2020 11:33 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you have to ask this, are you sure you are up to the job?

Not meant bad..... but ... have a look at them and you will know if you can re use them.... If you are qualified...

If the seats are ok, and you use new copper washers or anneal the old ones where fitted.. No issue..
Personally i never use haynes or clymer or like wise... too general regarding model changes and mistakes / wrong data sometimes.. atleast when i did last use them...

Use the original LR ones and you be fine / better off , no fancy pictures although..

There is one in the wiki here..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #216687110th Aug 2020 11:49 am
BPattenden

Probably not Laughing I should have kept hold of my 3 seat 90, never failed and I could comfortably go anywhere with myself and the 2 kids.SWMBO made me sell it as she wasn't happy with being left behind all the time. Suited me down to the ground Whistle I have always changed washers and O rings when messing about with stuff, I think I was just a bit put out with the manual stating the lines had to be completely replaced with no mention of why. Especially as they seem to be quite hard to find. I understand tightening and loosening them introduces a small risk of swarf/filings or dirt entering the pipes, kissing goodbye to an injector or 2 but completely replacing the lines seems overkill if I use the precautions I would for any work beyond the fuel filter.

Thanks for the help Harold, it's much appreciated

Post #216692810th Aug 2020 2:30 pm
Lrsg

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Refurbished used HPFPs with 12 months warranty are available from several sellers on ebay for £350-400, about half the price of a new one. I just got mine today...

Post #216694810th Aug 2020 3:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >