Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Driver side door automatically unlocks when closed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
danof76

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
Driver side door automatically unlocks when closed

I've got an issue where my driver side door (LHD) will automatically unlatch when I close it. Here are some step-by-step details to reproduce the issue:

1. With the driver door open, press the button to lock all doors
    2. All doors, including driver, will lock
    3. With key on my person and myself outside the vehicle, close the driver door
    4. A moment after closing, I can hear the door lock actuate and unlock itself
    5. Open the unlocked driver door
    6. At this point I can repeat the steps, always same result or...
    7. Manually press down on the door lock on the door itself above the handle
    8. Close the door, but same behavior

But if I go to the passenger side with the driver door already closed, lock the vehicle, then close the passenger door, all doors remain locked, as they should. Also, I can manually lock the driver door with the key and it will remain locked.

Some dude wrote:
"But what if you lock it with the key fob?"

Glad you asked! Unfortunately, my key fob doesn't work at the moment. Originally I was under the impression it was just a bad battery, but after testing the voltage and finding it being 100% to spec (and replacing it anyway) it doesn't appear to be the fob. I only have one at the moment, so I can't cross-test it either.

As I learned from YouTuber oxmanagain during my pre-purchase research the LR3 should unlock if it thinks the fob was left inside when you go to lock the car. If you click on the aforementioned YouTuber's name it'll take you a spot in his video where he details the feature I'm referring to, if you're unfamiliar with it. What happens in his video is exactly what I experience: shut a locked driver's door and a quick moment later the door unlocks. Since the door unlocks AFTER being closed this leads me to believe this issue I am experiencing is a computer-controlled action and not one that is purely mechanical.

I'm wondering if that, coupled with the possibility that my key fob may not be able to be detected by the vehicle (due to a malfunctioning receiver I'll be troubleshooting today or tomorrow) the vehicle thinks the fob may be in the car so it unlocks the door anyway.

I just don't know why it wouldn't unlock itself when I lock the car through the passenger side. Or if that's even a thing? I've looked a lot into the issue of the keyless entry not working and plan to inspect the infamous splice of the white/green wires but despite that and my own research independent on this matter I have not noticed anyone appear to have this particular issue.

Like I said, I plan to troubleshoot the splice very soon anyway in hopes to regain keyless entry, and also hope that it will prevent this annoyance from coming up as well, I'd just like to get ahead of the matter to see if anyone is aware of something else I should be looking into. And if nothing else maybe I can help to provide a resource and inform someone else if they should come across this issue.

Thanks![/url]

Post #20654381st Jul 2019 9:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >