Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Rotational rubbing sound under light acceleration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Mine happens to also be my third car - such a relief to be able to fix things without having to stress about getting around!!
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #204187331st Mar 2019 5:19 pm
Tringsaint

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

thx for the info and advice - i know they will not want to change the TC unless they have to, so my view is that this is a known issue so even after the 3 months if it goes (within reason) then they will have to resolve.

i understand the implications of owning a disco but dont really want a £1500 bill in the first 6 months (none of my cars have ever cost me that much to fix!!)

Thcx
Steve

Post #20419941st Apr 2019 9:04 am
Dutchrockboy

Germany 2014 LR4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR4

I am having the same problem with my D3 the last 3 years. Big Cry

The symptoms:
- BRRRRR sound in 4th, 5th and 6th on pulling.
The sound is there short before closing TC clutch and sound is gone when the TC is closed.

I think in my case (maybe also yours and dozens others) the cause of the problem is the converter pressure valve and a Converter clutch valve.
Now suspecting it can be this valve, the BRRRR sound does sound like a valve flutter sound.

These valves open and close the TC-clutch. The closing of the clutch takes 1-2 seconds in order to close smoothly. (not ON/OF).
These valves can wear of. Thus closing the TC badly (BRRRRRsound) and not thouroughly AND destroying the TC (but slowly).
If you want to reproduce this symptom: Try to ride uphill in 5th or 6th with 1500 rpm. Then accelerate 3/4 to full. The Converter should close at some point around 2000 rpm without fluttering.

When the clutch is not closed thouroughly, the Clutch will be slipping.
If you pull hard the system might notice this slip after a while and opens the clutch preventing wearing of. I have this symptom after renewing the TC. When i pull hard in 5th or 6th after 20-30 seconds it may happen that the clutch opens (giving the fault "transmission failure"). I only noticed this on the german autobahn or on pulling a trailer. Normaly the transmission does not have to work so hard that this problem occurs. WHen it occurs there is no more connection between RPM and KmH. The RPM´s can go up like an elastic band. After restarting the engine, this failure is resetted.

I will try to find a way of repairing these 2 valves. I do not want a 2000-3000€ "new" transmission just because 1 Valve is Censored ... Rolling Eyes
If anyone has done this allready i would be very glad on any information Bow down

Post #20502752nd May 2019 12:38 pm
Tringsaint

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Ok, something of an update here.
After sending the disco back to the retailer and his mechanic checking it over they drew a blank and suggested that transmission was fine and they couldn’t find anything.
Noise remained so i thought we just drive it an if it goes pop then I will get it fixed.
Cue a longish drive up to Lincoln and back and I noticed that the engine seemed low on power and was smoking a bit under hard acceleration so I thought that an air filter may be blocked, so I duly popped the bonnet to check the filter and whilst it was a bit grey, looked ok. What I then noticed was a 2 inch split in the intercooler hose leading into the manifold, so I grabbed some tape to patch it up.
When I started the engine it produced a whistling noise (air escaping from around the tape) so ordered a new hose and fitted it. Not only did this cure the power issue and the smoking but also the rubbing noise under acceleration and everything is as smooth as you like.
So I can only assume that the hose was split but it was small so you didn’t notice it and slowly got bigger.
So £50 and 20 mins of my time and it now runs like a peach (just jinxed myself there!!).
Hope that helps others with similar issues.

Post #206490729th Jun 2019 4:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >