Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Plug Change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Plug Change

I have a 2007 Discovery 3 V6 petrol. I decided to change the plugs and leads as the vehicle has reached 200k. The first problem was all plugs were seized (plugs been in since day 1). First job, remove engine cover, remove spark plug wires, (there are small clips that come undone with a screwdriver to release the wires) and soak plug area overnight using WD40.
Using long breaker bar loosen plug a little, get a piece (3/8 inch dia) of clear plastic hose about 12 inches long. Use this to feed more WD40 to the plug you are working on. Work plug back and forth a few times to allow WD40 to soak in. Swap breaker bar for ratchet and slowly work plug out, add more WD40 if it still squeaks. Only broke one which was on the RH side (looking from the front) of the engine at the rear
The plugs I took out had gaps of 75 to 80 thou instead of 54 thou, so coils must be good to bridge that gap with no problems.
I replaced the plugs with platinum ones as the recommended in the manual and added some "no seize" to the threads. I used NGK OEM leads for the plugs.
I had to disconnect a couple of hoses on the RH side to be able to get the tools in easily. I only lost a small amount of skin, mainly when working on the rear plugs. Dropped a socket down onto the sump guard so had to loosen it off to retrieve it.
Took me just over five hours in total but it all works good so will be expecting some improvement in fuel consumption. will now replace again in 100k or so.
Total cost of parts in Australia was $200 so will be a good saving over a shop doing it.

Post #185989421st Sep 2017 9:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >