Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

2004 - 113k miles What should I be looking out for??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NickHappy

2004 - 113k miles What should I be looking out for??

Hello all,

I'm viewing a potential purchase this morning with a view to collecting if it all checks out OK.

Any tips on what I should be looking for would be much appreciated, especially at the age/mileage. It's a manual with SE spec. I looked at an S spec last week with 104k miles and I think it had had a hard life - suspension had been locked, handbrake was noisy and temperamental and it had no power in the bottom of the Rev range.

Any info from the experts would be great

Cheers

NH

Post #185126826th Aug 2017 7:29 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Welcome to the Forum. The early S model was well specced so don't think that is the poor mans model. As for what to look for, do a search on here for a few topics using words like "thinking of buying" etc and you will get plenty of ideas on what to look for. You will find one thread has links to another with more advice. Where abouts in West Sussex are you?
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #185127726th Aug 2017 7:58 am
drmcw

United Kingdom 

Belts should be changed every 7 years (or 105k miles if sooner), so based on that the car will need the belts changed next year. If they've been done early then great, otherwise the next service won't be light on the wallet.

Post #185128726th Aug 2017 8:34 am
NickHappy

Thanks for the responses, great forum this one and as said thank you Barn1e the search function has brought up some good info. I'm in Horsham area so if you can recommend any good LL Indys that would be good.

Thanks for the info on the belts drmcw, with the research so far it's apparent to have "belt and braces" in mind. Don't mind buying with maintainance due if the car is right. Good history will by one of top priorities, the car I'm looking st has had 5 owners, I'd love a low owner car but they seem few and far between.

Post #185129326th Aug 2017 9:01 am
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Don't get hung up on low owner mileage vehicles, look for a lot of receipts for work done and a car that has been cared for. My car was a 1 owner low mileage vehicle, still need a few £k spent on it, to sort non service related issues.

Post #185130326th Aug 2017 9:31 am
NickHappy

Update - I bought the Disco with 113k on it. Few niggles but otherwise everything seems to be in order. Had loads of receipts and invoices from the work done including belt change, suspension work and air suspension maintenance.

I'm pretty pleased with spec too and glad the air - con is working as I didn't realise how hot these cars get with all the glass. Needs a good clean and polish and I'm sure the paintwork will look great once done.

It does crunch between 2nd - 3rd and 3rd - 4th when cold though. Previous owner changed the clutch as thought that may help but hasn't; I think it's the synchro mesh and could need an oil change. Think I'll try this first and then worse case is a new box. Anybody know of a decent breaker for these cars?

Also there is an oil leak in front of the passenger front wheel, seems to be near an oil breather and may be near the intercooler - I need to investigate more but any commonly known issues on this??

These things aside everything else is good and about to embark on camping trip so fingers crossed it all goes OK. Thumbs Up

Post #185183628th Aug 2017 6:12 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

What colour is the oil leaking out, it could be power steering fluid and must be checked as a priority.
The breather pipe is for the front diff which only takes a small amount of oil and may have been overfilled.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #185184128th Aug 2017 7:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >