Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Whats Got Your Goat Up today ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 281 of 286 <123 ... 280281282 ... 284285286>
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Did think of that, but SWMBO wants her dose of Dancing on Ice, Strictly and the Apprentice. Rolling Eyes

Post #23636605th Mar 2024 11:07 pm
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

Paul J. wrote:
JLR removing access to their APIs, meaning that Intelligent Octopus Go will no longer work. Twisted Evil Big Cry

The change also removed access for a non-official I-Pace app (Wattcat) …… which took less than 24 hours for the developer to circumvent Laughing
 An ex-Disco3 / FFRR owner ......

..... now on the JLR electric highway. 

Post #23637316th Mar 2024 9:49 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

My Goat is agitated today because the best radio station in the world, Wave 105, owned by Bauer Media is being ‘transitioned’ to Greatest Hits Radio, which they also own.

Only the Breakfast show will retain it’s local presenters and content.
The rest of the day will now be national radio.

Waves content was always good music from all periods, including the best of new artists.
The change to GHR means nothing will be played from after the year 2000.

Tens of Thousands of dedicated listeners of the only truly local radio station left on the South coast have been shafted by this decision based on the greed of Bauer Media.

To be honest, I’m disappointed that the breakfast crew have chosen to fall in line and save themselves rather than walk out in support of their many friends at the station who’ve been put out to pasture.

To coin a phrase – It’s just wrong!

Lady Nasher will have to put up with me listening to Planet rock all the time now.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #236431814th Mar 2024 3:08 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

many years ago, our local rock(ier) local radio station, XS Manchester, asked for volunteers to sit on a panel to determine what listeners wanted to hear.

They had 4 panels IIRC, 2 each day on 2 days, and the one i was on was all in favour of going in a "more rock than not" direction, and given the mix of folks contributing, I expected the other sessions to generate similar input.

But no ... it became an "indie" station with only a tiny bit of "proper" rock music. Hardly ever listen to it now but, thankfully, the D4 has DAB and I can get Planet Rock.

Post #236432414th Mar 2024 4:24 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

this caught my eye ...

BBC wrote:
An RAF plane carrying Defence Secretary Grant Shapps had its GPS signal jammed while flying close to Russian territory.

It was travelling between the UK and Poland when its satellite signal was temporarily interfered with on both legs of the journey.

It happened near Kaliningrad, a Russian exclave on the Baltic, on Wednesday.

A security source told the BBC it is not unusual for interference to occur in airspace near the region.

They said the jamming of the GPS signal - which is used to determine location - did not endanger the safety of the aircraft.

Mobile phones were unable to connect to the internet during the interference, the Times reported.

so how come we're not allowed to use our phones on normal flights ?

also ...

Petrol pumps generally have signs saying "no mobile phones" and allude to an explosion risk.

So how come when I went to Morrisons the other night, I had to present my phone not once but twice to the scanner on the pump in order to get my points ?

Post #236434414th Mar 2024 7:26 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I thought that we could use mobiles on flights now?
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #236434814th Mar 2024 8:23 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I think the answer is "Not yet":-

https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffwhitmore...883f744991

Quote:
This is due to a European Commission ruling from December 2022 that airlines provide 5G and slower mobile data on their aircraft. Members of the EU have until June 30, 2023, to make the adjustments and set the bands up for their planes.

While the specifics haven’t been announced and may vary from airline to airline, roaming charges and other fees may be applied. Additionally, it is unknown if airplane mode will be removed entirely when flying within the EU.

There’s a good chance the United States will not follow the EU, at least for the time being. This is because 5G networks are different in the United States and run on a closer frequency to the equipment on an aircraft.

These frequencies may interfere with the aircraft, including safety equipment. There is also fear that these networks for cellular phones may interfere with a plane’s ability to measure altitude.

NJSS

Last edited by NJSS on 14th Mar 2024 8:44 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #236435114th Mar 2024 8:38 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My daughter was messaging me mid flight on a Singapore Airlines plane a few weeks back. I think she said that they had free WiFi.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #236435214th Mar 2024 8:44 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

NJSS wrote:
I think the answer is "Not yet":-

https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffwhitmore...883f744991

Quote:
This is due to a European Commission ruling from December 2022 that airlines provide 5G and slower mobile data on their aircraft. Members of the EU have until June 30, 2023, to make the adjustments and set the bands up for their planes.

While the specifics haven’t been announced and may vary from airline to airline, roaming charges and other fees may be applied. Additionally, it is unknown if airplane mode will be removed entirely when flying within the EU.

There’s a good chance the United States will not follow the EU, at least for the time being. This is because 5G networks are different in the United States and run on a closer frequency to the equipment on an aircraft.

These frequencies may interfere with the aircraft, including safety equipment. There is also fear that these networks for cellular phones may interfere with a plane’s ability to measure altitude.

NJSS

That article is almost a year old Nigel -
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #236435414th Mar 2024 8:47 pm
JordsDisco

I’ve got a 320 mile round trip on the motorcycle on Friday. That’s the nearest Kawasaki dealership to me for its 600 mile first service that I have to have to keep the 4 year manufacturers warranty valid.

I suppose I knew about it, but it’s still flipping freezing. Rolling Eyes

Post #236517826th Mar 2024 9:44 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Is it specifically the first service that has to be done by the dealership or are they saying all servicing? Doesn't the same apply to bikes as cars - so long as it's serviced in line with the manufacturer's schedules, etc., then you can go to any suitable service centre.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #236517926th Mar 2024 9:56 am
JordsDisco

That’s what I thought, but not according to Kawasaki.

Click image to enlarge

I did write to their customer services and this was their reply.

Click image to enlarge

Post #236518226th Mar 2024 10:06 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

They state that using an indie or doing the work yourself won't invalidate the warranty providing it's all done - and can be proved to be done, importantly - in accordance with their guidelines.

So you can use a non-Kawasaki garage. Just make sure it's all documented correctly.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #236519226th Mar 2024 11:15 am
JordsDisco

Yes, I took that from it, but I am aware that they have a potential get out clause should they need it. I just wonder if it’s worth the risk, which of course you won’t know unless you’re in a position of having to claim, the classic Catch 22 situation.

That said, I don’t intend keeping it beyond a year or two before moving onto something else. If I have it main dealership serviced, then I’ll get a high price for it. My trade in was also a Kawasaki, self maintained with all genuine service parts receipt. I got a good price for it, but was told I’d have got more with a properly documented and official service record, which is fair comment I suppose.

I quite fancy a Kawasaki Ninja H2R, but with a price tag of £50k plus, it might remain a pipe dream. Whistle

Post #236519526th Mar 2024 11:34 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
train drivers

How can anyone justify up to 100K salary for driving a train FFS ........... we have some very strange job values in this country.
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #236520426th Mar 2024 2:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 281 of 286 <123 ... 280281282 ... 284285286>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >