Thanks Advanced Factors ZF fluid change great result
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DiscoNate

Wales 
Thanks Advanced Factors ZF fluid change great result

I wanted to follow up on my planned auto transmission fluid change;

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic150964.html

Firstly, a huge thank you to Advanced Factors who saved me a ton of money compared to dealers prices and delivered to Ireland in less than two!! working days. I didn't use the ZF fluid in the end but went with the Meyle fluid instead.

I removed about 4.5 litres of old oil, 4 in a bucket and 1/2 down my sleeve. I thought I was being clever by opening up the fill plug first but was surprised by how much came out of there. As expected, it wasn't in good condition.

I couldn't get quite the same in again but my temperature measurements were a little rudimentary so I figured I was close and it was better to be marginally under than over. 1 tube of Dr Tranny went in as well.

Frankly, the results are astonishing. All juddering has vanished, gear changes are smooth, no fluctuation of rev counter, no delay in pick up from junctions, it's like driving a new car in comparison. I was sure I would be looking at replacing the TC but today that job seems a long way off.

I haven't even replaced the plastic sump and filter!! I will now though. I am thinking, I will monitor it for maybe a month and then do a second change including adding the metal sump this time. Alternatively, I may do the Filo method.

Anyway, I wanted to mention for other novices out there that it is definitely worth trying this yourself before spending big money in a garage. Time will tell of course.

Also, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some helpful guides on how to assess wear of suspension components? Is there a good website that goes through the basics? I don't have a pressing need but I would like to learn everything I can. My front upper arm bushes look a little brittle but I don't really know how to be sure they need replacing. I would very much like to learn how to replace suspension parts but have very little experience. Some of the bolts down there look very rusty.

Thanks all for a great forum.

Post #172219220th Oct 2016 1:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >