Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Camper conversion....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
YASRR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Camper conversion

So.....

If only I had a garage, this would be so much easier!

After some deliberation, I set about building the cooker, sink(?), fridge and additional storage unit.

There were a few criteria; it had to be removable in case I went away with one of my sons, it had to allow me plenty of room to sleep or it would defeat the object, it had to be below the height of the load cover and it had to be in keeping with my principle of travelling light so no large cookers with gas bottles, etc.

After lots of drawings and measuring, and the occasional swear word, the final result is built and installed, with just a couple of finishing touches to add - I am waiting for the catches for the rear door/cooker stand and the delivery of the fridge which will fit in the front half of the unit.

I used a different carpet to the floor and am not so pleased with the finish so a couple of panels might have to be re-done, I'll see how it wears.

I do like gadgets and the collapsible bowl was a great find!

If there is anyone in my area ( West Yorkshire ) who is handy with electrics I am seeking help with an auxillary battery installation. I have lost the under bonnet tray to my winch solenoid and don't fancy relocating that so my thoughts were that it could go under the floor in the back - beer tokens available........

Thanks

simon

Post #17143042nd Oct 2016 2:57 pm
YASRR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Camper conversion

Next chapter......

Today, I braved some electrical work, not my favourite subject!

I don't have an auxillary battery system yet, I am still hopeful that someone local to me will volunteer some advice...........

As the power for my original socket was picked up from the trailer electrics, I have put a Kemo box in-line to protect the main battery and put two sockets on the top panel for now - this should provide enough power for my interior light and phone charger until I have a better system.

I moved the cabinet to the opposite side to test it's flexibility - took all of two minutes - I love it when a plan comes together!

Simon

Post #17170078th Oct 2016 4:31 pm
YASRR

Camper conversion

A few more hours work......

I liked the idea of the rear panel sockets as constructed by several forum members but access would be a problem with my storage unit so I took this a stage further and built a distribution box into a £5 Maplin ABS box.

I don't have a split charge system installed yet, but this is now in the diary with the local indy, so at the moment it is powered from a stand alone 110 AH leisure battery under the floor and the wiring has been prepared in anticipation......

I made the battery box to fit the available space ( tight! ) and set about dismantling the side panel in the cargo area to install the wiring loom. This was made up and tested in my kitchen and on my living room floor as I don't have a garage or shed Sad

There are two sockets wired directly into the trailer wiring permanent live, only one of which will be used to power the fridge while running. This had to be located where it could accessed easily, especially for disconnecting when the engine is off.

There is an in-line switch to isolate the extra loom when it's not required.

The fridge/cooler has arrived and fits the cabinet perfectly - phew!

Once the wiring loom was positioned, it was just a matter of 'persuading' the panel to re-locate... The lighting was wired to the switches, isolater switched on and great relief/satisfaction when it all worked.

Simon

Post #172243621st Oct 2016 12:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >