DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AnotherWill

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement

Previously on my D3 https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/discovery-3...07927.html

Now trying to replace the CPS (I've created a separate thread in case someone is just looking for CPS replacement in future).

From what I've read, it should be located behind passenger side front wheel behind the turbo although removing the turbo in theory shouldn't be necessary.

Can someone confirm what it is necessary to remove? Looks like the oil return pipe and maybe the upper control arm?

Post #236879514th May 2024 9:44 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

The CAM shaft sensor is in the passenger side head, at the side/front. Much easier to change. I think that is what your previous thread is getting at.

It's the black sensor in the last picture of this listing. (some are grey I think)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175687966319?it...R76cgu7uYw

some video's here of CRANK SENSOR:
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic206795.html

Post #236880914th May 2024 12:28 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I think I posted this or similar versions elsewhere but here you go anyway.

Manual trans cars are not as difficult as replacing the sensor in an auto, but even so, and with decent working conditions replacing this sensor can be challenging depending on individual circumstances!!

So you need to be certain the sensor is at fault, otherwise after all that pain if your problem still exists you're going to be looking for a gallon of petrol and a box of matches! Laughing From the description below you'd think it seems straight forward enough. It's not, and awkward doesn't even begin to describe it, especially refitting the sensor in the correct orientation. Remember, you're working totally blind at the point where the sensor is located. Exclamation

Here's a rough guide as to what's involved in replacing the sensor.

After you've removed the under trays:

Remove the bottom transmission mounting bolt.
Remove the p/s only transmission crossmember bolts.
Mark the position of the front drive shaft to its diff/T/case flanges and remove the bolts (do not reuse)
Be careful not damage the drive shaft couplings whilst trying to detach from the flanges!!
With a pry bar prise down the crossmember on the p/side and slide out the drive shaft rearwards.
Remove the oil temp sensor plug.
Remove the heat shields from inside the P/S wheel arch.
Remove the front diff side support bolts.
Support the front diff with a jack and remove the diff bottom support brkt and lower the diff until it rests.
Remove the turbo support brkts (although you might get away without so doing)
Remove the turbo oil drain pipe bolts from below the turbo and its gasket.(This will allow you so slightly flex the pipe when getting your hand in. Renew the gasket)
Remove the transmission oil cooler pipe support bracket from below the A/C compressor.
Remove the transmission oil cooler pipes from the p/s of the transmission and move out of your way. (renew seal)
Remove the rubber bung from the crank sensor housing if it's still there. (NOTE THE POSITION OF THE SENSOR)
Insert a 100mm torx bit and unscrew the sensor, but do not remove the bolt from the sensor lest it falls down into the bell housing. Big Cry Banging Head

You could try without removing the drive shaft but I don't think the diff will drop far enough to give you the access you need. I can't get my hands in there without doing so.
A 5mm inspection camera will make this job much easier, and it is perhaps better if you're on your back rather than using a lift when trying to get your hand up in there. Remember too you cannot see what you are doing at the sensor housing! It's the one job I really hate on these and can be trying to put it mildly. Transmission oil loss is negligible and so no action is required there. Lastly, and most importantly make sure it's the sensor that is at fault before you take this on, and tighten it to absolutely no more than 5Nm

I think that's it, if I've missed something someone will pick it up. Good luck. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236881114th May 2024 12:55 pm
AnotherWill

Bloody hell! It's a lot more involved than I thought! Thanks for the detailed run through PROFSR G!

Post #236885915th May 2024 4:02 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yeah a right pig to get at alright and so perhaps worth considering if anyone has plans for transmission removal!

Once the flywheel is off it's a 2 min job as can be seen from this image stolen borrowed from Robbie's gallery. Very Happy
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236886315th May 2024 5:58 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Isn’t your previous thread talking about cam shaft fault codes ? Not crank ?

Post #236886815th May 2024 6:45 pm
AnotherWill

Shocked I'm glad you spotted that Pete K! At some point I've got that switched in my head and been looking at wrong thing entirely. Literally have the crankshaft position sensor in my hand.

Right, on to the camshaft sensor. Good news it doesn't look anywhere near as bad.

Post #236889616th May 2024 2:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >