DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Newbie questions again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discowannabe

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4
Newbie questions again

Hi,

Long time lurker on this site and amazed by the knowledge and helpfulness of the members.

My username says it all I think - I've been hankering after a new Disco for some time now but haven't made the jump. Thinking that as the run is coming to an end now's the time or risk missing out.

Currently drive a Nissan X-Trail (09) which I've had from new (had a Freelander for 5 years from new before that) and to be fair it's been a great car and does everything I want it to as I don't off road as such, but I 'want' a new car. Next car will be with me for at least 5 years, as I don't like changing too often, so I would like something that will tow a bigger caravan should I decide to upgrade, as well as swallow all my holiday luggage without the need for the roof box I use at present. There's only me, my wife and 2 small dogs but it's amazing what we 'have' to take on holiday with us Smile

Am thinking of going with the detachable tow bar as only tow around a dozen times a year and really don't like the look of the fixed one. Have read the issues on here regarding the detachable and think it'll suit my purposes.

So, apologies for the waffle, but I have a test drive arranged with Taggart's Motherwell on Saturday as they have a £2000 deposit contribution offer on (I'm looking at a new Landmark BTW) and I have a few questions should I go ahead with a purchase.

1. Is it worth forking out for the surround cameras? Have read the issues on here, but would like to know if they're of ANY use at all in their current state as I think they'd be handy for parking at least.
2. Ditto for the wade sensing pack (more for the blind spot stuff it comes with), cubby fridge and climate remote, i.e. worth paying for at delivery?
3. If I went for stock Landmark, how difficult and how much is it to get the climate remote and cubby fridge added? Bearing in mind I'm no use around cars beyond checking tyres, oil etc. and changing a wheel, so would need someone to do it. Also would such upgrades void the warranty?
4. I know from reading on here that the choice of Zanzibar (Gold) as a colour gives concern about potential resale. Is this private, trade in or both? I quite like it but if it'll wipe a good proportion off any future value I'll happily give it a miss.
5. Thinking of getting the 5 year service pack if available - anyone had issues with this, i.e. items not covered that you'd expect to be?
6. Does anyone have recent experience of Taggart's as a dealer? If so what were they like.
7. Obviously every dealer is different but what should I be looking for, if anything, as freebies, i.e. mud flaps, rubber mats etc. or is that pushing expectations?

Any advice on anything you think I'm missing, that should be considered, is welcome.

Regards

C.

Post #161210818th Feb 2016 2:58 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Greetings!

I'd try one of the generic sites such as 'carwow' first to get an idea of the price they can offer, and then see if Taggarts can get close to that.

I've had to use the Motherwell Taggarts a few times in the past (maybe 3) - service and parts were both OK, but the sales dept could of not been more dismissive if they had tried. Maybe because I wasn't wearing a shiny suit and shoes with pointed toes like most of the RRS/Ewock customers seem to, but was instead in overalls and muddy boots Rolling Eyes Their loss as I bought elsewhere.

Good luck anyhow Thumbs Up
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #161211218th Feb 2016 3:12 pm
Nick H

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Cubby fridge is quite easy to do so definitely add later. I'm quite limited in my automotive skills. probably like you, and installed one in about 20 minutes Thumbs Up

Timed climate needs the hardware installing and the software editing to switch it on but can be done for a lot less than you will pay as an option - just get in touch with one of the site sponsors up north to arrange fitting and activation.

Nick Thumbs Up

Post #161211718th Feb 2016 3:31 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I have done timed climate myself which cost me close to nothing plus a few hours of taking Censored apart and putting it together and it only took so long as it was a bit chilly ....
Would not pay a grand for that no way!
pretty much most of the things can be retrofitted to those cars even to base models but stealers make a few steps in model range to charge you big time for jumping up the labels from SE to HSE
i.e still do not understand why i can get electric seat but without memory as an option and to have a memory added i would have to go for an HSE which is 12K plus more expensive???/
Will do it myself for less then 400 quid when it get warmer
Good luck

Post #161212118th Feb 2016 3:39 pm
Dave T

England 

To be honest, Taggarts were way more expensive than Parks in Ayr when I bought, for exactly the same car. Whistle Whistle
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #161213618th Feb 2016 4:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave T

England 

remember the service pack will pay for a basic service, they will phone and ask to do all sorts of other stuff like clean brake pads etc which you would be charged for anyway. Don't think it is no servicing costs what so ever.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #161213718th Feb 2016 4:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >