Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

to sell or not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

think I would add in 3 years cost of extended warranty,,service tyres for three years..etc....cus with a new on all these come with new car
ie
3 years warranty...all new tyres..first service a year away....we had the same dilemma..ended up with new one...only downside now only dearer ones available..higher spec

Post #16030441st Feb 2016 7:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave T

England 

Warranty direct luxury care can be had for around £670, takes some haggling but do an on line quote now, they will call you back
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #16030571st Feb 2016 7:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Wish I'd kept my 13MY XS, it was far better than the 16MY HSE.
Bitterly regret letting it go. Gary had to virtually wrestle the keys off me Laughing

On the man maths plus side:
service pack available on new one
cheaper RFL
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #16030831st Feb 2016 8:08 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

Yes, there's a few ways to look at it all.

Why is that Dave? What in particular was better on the older model do you think?

Dex

Post #16031301st Feb 2016 9:26 pm
Walkzinho

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

DaveT wrote:
Wish I'd kept my 13MY XS, it was far better than the 16MY HSE.

Temp sensor issue aside, in what way?

Post #16031451st Feb 2016 9:44 pm
statetrooper99

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

Perhaps the most important thing to consider is that you can buy a new D4 now, but you won't be able to in a years time. So the financial arguments for waiting another year may not stand up.....
 2016 Discovery Sport HSE Luxury 2.0 Ingenium Automatic
2014 Freelander 2 XS Auto SD4
2014 Discovery 4 HSE Scotia Grey (gone)
2012 Discovery 4 SDV6 XS Ipanema Sand (gone)
2010 Freelander 2 HSE Black (gone)
2007 Freelander 2 HSE Gold (gone)
2006 Freelander 1 5 Door Freestyle (gone)
2003 Discovery 2 TD5 (gone)
2001 Freelander 3 Door 1.8 GS Hardback (gone) 

Post #16031511st Feb 2016 9:55 pm
Dave T

England 

Agreed, I need to decide this August whether to buy or keep this one.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #16033222nd Feb 2016 7:49 am
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

It may well be my imagination, but I find the engine of the 16MY less 'creamy smooth' than the 13MY, and to me it feels slower. No logical reason for this, I just reckon my last was a good one, and this one's not.

The Adblu system probably contributes to this feeling, and having looked around the car a bit, I believe it further compromises off road ability. The spare appears to hang lower, and the plastic protection disc looks like it's sole function in life is to provide another sand anchor. Under the car, in the front passenger seat area, there seems to be another load of gubbins mounted under there - Adblu? with an undertray/shield to protect it, which again hangs another couple of inches lower right at the breakover point - ie vulnerable.

The rear view camera is useless
I miss the surround cameras - side ones were useful to me. I realise this is a direct result of my own spec choices.
The weight of the sunroofs doesn't help
I really miss the puddle lights that were on the underside of the door mirrors - there's a fair amount of muck and puddles where we live. I had assumed these would be standard on HSE, but no.

Apart from that, it's great Thumbs Up

Oh, and there's a little issue with temp Censored ure Laughing
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #16033262nd Feb 2016 8:11 am
discofinnie

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR4

Another in the same position here.

2009 59 plate with just 50000 miles, has cost me nothing but servicing and one pair of tyres in 3.5 years.

Questions buzzing around in my head:

Will it start to go wrong soon, should i get a warranty direct policy? but it wont cover the air suspension which is one of the problem areas!

Been offered two really good deals. An unregistered landmark, delivery March for £330 a month with my car as part ex (PCP) he's offering £24k for my car!. Ive assumed that includes dealer contribution as per HSE but he says that doesn't apply to Landmark. What if the new car isnt as reliable as my trusty car, what if it suffers from the dreaded hesitation

Also been offered a pre reg XC90 R design with a few extras for £380a month. I know it'd doesnt have the offroad ability but as a family car it's going to be a bit cheaper to run. Its also a nice change and would avoid the Ive got a new car but it looks the same as my old one apart from this twiddly knob where the gear lever should be.

Then there is the fact that right now i have circa 18k of car sitting outside which I own outright. If I go for one of these deals then in 3 or four years I am potentially looking at having spent 4k a year on finance and have little to no deposit (certainly less). I suppose i could say that if i keep this car then in two years I might still only have less than 10k value in the car.... hmmmm

HELP

Post #160774310th Feb 2016 10:00 am
statetrooper99

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

If you can't decide between a D4 and a Volvo then go for the Volvo and live happily ever after.....
 2016 Discovery Sport HSE Luxury 2.0 Ingenium Automatic
2014 Freelander 2 XS Auto SD4
2014 Discovery 4 HSE Scotia Grey (gone)
2012 Discovery 4 SDV6 XS Ipanema Sand (gone)
2010 Freelander 2 HSE Black (gone)
2007 Freelander 2 HSE Gold (gone)
2006 Freelander 1 5 Door Freestyle (gone)
2003 Discovery 2 TD5 (gone)
2001 Freelander 3 Door 1.8 GS Hardback (gone) 

Post #160775210th Feb 2016 10:18 am
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

Check the warranty. I have had a Warranty Direct warranty for years, which has been flawless and started out cheaper than that. You have to haggle like mad with them.
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #160775310th Feb 2016 10:20 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

My D4 is just out of warranty.

It does 25mpg, costs nearly £500 tax, £400 service and will need tyres, although not until next year and no doubt it will need bits and bobs apart from that. It's a lovely car to drive and I am very fond of it. I've had new Discos since the D3 first came out.

But now I've gone for a new Ingenium DS HSE with extras, pick up next month, double MPG, £130 tax and a 5 year service plan for £499. A no brainer on the financial front and I am gaining a Touchscreen that's instant! What am I loosing? Having had a DS for a two day test drive, a bit of boot room. If like most on here, it's used for shopping, I don't see the problem.

Doubtless the D5 will be a great car, but I fear price will be pushed ever higher than it is and I am not prepared to fork out £55-£60k plus for the privilege. I do think the D3/4 is a dying breed of car. I'd get rid of it whilst you can. I suspect whilst there will always be people prepared to put up with its idiosyncratic nature and cost, then the great and increasing majority won't.

Post #160776010th Feb 2016 10:34 am
discofinnie

statetrooper99 wrote:
If you can't decide between a D4 and a Volvo then go for the Volvo and live happily ever after.....

A pretty unhelpful reply. A little more explanation would help. I know the car doesn't have the offroad ability of the disco but it doesn't pretend to.

Post #160776210th Feb 2016 10:36 am
discofinnie

We have a new problem, I have been dealing with volvo via email, no calls. They sent a video and some bloke filmed it. I assumed Kelly might be a bloke but it turns out Kelly is a she, and is stunning (facebook stalking at it's best). If I go for this car the wife is definately NOT coming to the handover!!!!!

Post #160777410th Feb 2016 10:54 am
Washwipe

England 

DaveT wrote:
It may well be my imagination, but I find the engine of the 16MY less 'creamy smooth' than the 13MY, and to me it feels slower. No logical reason for this, I just reckon my last was a good one, and this one's not.

The Adblu system probably contributes to this feeling, and having looked around the car a bit, I believe it further compromises off road ability. The spare appears to hang lower, and the plastic protection disc looks like it's sole function in life is to provide another sand anchor. Under the car, in the front passenger seat area, there seems to be another load of gubbins mounted under there - Adblu? with an undertray/shield to protect it, which again hangs another couple of inches lower right at the breakover point - ie vulnerable.

The rear view camera is useless
I miss the surround cameras - side ones were useful to me. I realise this is a direct result of my own spec choices.
The weight of the sunroofs doesn't help
I really miss the puddle lights that were on the underside of the door mirrors - there's a fair amount of muck and puddles where we live. I had assumed these would be standard on HSE, but no.

Apart from that, it's great Thumbs Up

Oh, and there's a little issue with temp Censored ure Laughing

Thanks for that Dave, you've made my mind up, mines almost 3 1/2 years old now, was contemplating trading it in for another, been offered a nice deal on a six month old HSE, i'm also not over impressed with the runout choices so will stick with what I have, it will need a set of boots in six months but that's all I'm aware of, WD Luxury Care covered till next year. Thumbs Up

Post #160803310th Feb 2016 7:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >