DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Quantum remaps. EGR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Simonstarski

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Quantum remaps. EGR

Someone will know...

A bit spur of the moment as I had an hour to kill last week but while twiddling my thumbs as I was early for an appointment I popped my disco into a garage I was parked beside and had a remap done.

The guy downloaded my map, put it out on a site and bish bash bosh, just over half an hour later the new map was being uploaded.

Now this is the bit. he said they'd (the tech wizz on the website) also switched off my EGR valves. My question is, is that enough? Is just swiching them off enough to stop any EGR issues down the road? I was planning on blanking them soon anyway but if that's done the trick I'll fold my money and happily put it back in my pocket towards the next mod..
 Narpy Grill, tinted windows, Smooth leather wheel (TLO Group buy), ACM fitted (thanks TLO), Rear door loom and Row 2 & 3 audio switch upgrade, RRS 20" wheel change, 285 Cooper LTZ's Sat Nav Mod (until I get a Faultmate upgrade), Front & Rear lamp guards. 4x4 screen now switched on - Woody32, Follow me home reverse lights - woody32, Auto release EPB - Woody32. Off Road Navigation - Woody32. Remap + EGR's switched off. Full chassis clean and Waxoyl.  
Post #153425524th Sep 2015 12:20 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You don't need that on a 2005, and no, they do need to be blanked physically. Thumbs Up

It may well be fine, but it would make me distrust the rest of the map...
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #153426024th Sep 2015 12:25 pm
Simonstarski

I think the map seems fine.. It's not a massive noticeable improvement but you know it's done when the trailer is hooked up.

More low down oomph.

Mines a manual so it could just be a mental change in my driving style and I'm driving differently. That's the trouble with electrickery.. You pays your money but get nothing physical in return.
I guess they're a reputable garage and I've no reason to mistrust them. Thumbs Up

I remember when my Subaru came out of the garage.. Ok it had a few mods at the same time (injectors, turbo, pistons, manifolds, inter cooler, hoses, adjustable suspension...) but it went in at 240hp and came out at 450+Hp.. I noticed that difference Rolling with laughter
 Narpy Grill, tinted windows, Smooth leather wheel (TLO Group buy), ACM fitted (thanks TLO), Rear door loom and Row 2 & 3 audio switch upgrade, RRS 20" wheel change, 285 Cooper LTZ's Sat Nav Mod (until I get a Faultmate upgrade), Front & Rear lamp guards. 4x4 screen now switched on - Woody32, Follow me home reverse lights - woody32, Auto release EPB - Woody32. Off Road Navigation - Woody32. Remap + EGR's switched off. Full chassis clean and Waxoyl.  
Post #153426424th Sep 2015 12:36 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The most important concern with the mapping is not lack of extra power, it's more the opposite, but they are a well known company so I'd imagine it's probably OK. I still can't be impressed with the stand-alone EGR deleting that they seem to advocate.

You need to get the physical blanking done, and if it were me, I would get them to re-activate the valves, in case it proves useful if MOT regulations change in the future. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #153427024th Sep 2015 12:47 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've removed a couple of the generic remaps, the last one I removed, the software was constantly telling the car to delete 26 different fault codes... This is the way that the generic remaps seem to blank EGR valves...
This was also on a D3 that didn't need it!
I've got the full list somewhere, as well as the EGR fault of course, one of them was the Fuel pressure low fault which, in my mind, just seems mental and I can't understand why you would delete it.. Consequently, any low pressure failure that brings up this fault, will be ignored, I'm sure some where along the line it could have some major consequences.
They replace the fault codes with P0000 so you can't even tell what the fault is if you start to get problems.
Customer is much much happier with his BAS remap now.

Might be worth asking the garage what process the software uses to software blank the egrs. Most probably won't even know how it works.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #153435024th Sep 2015 4:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Simonstarski

From what you've just said I might be wiser to have my old map back and reconsider the whole thing Shocked

I like the idea of a little more poke but never at the cost of the engines health. I'll be up there again soon so I'll ask some questions..

Worst case they don't have the map still, things can be put right?
Post #153435524th Sep 2015 4:36 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

You had a remap already before or you mean the original LR software?
I doubt that they can put the original software back on, but I don't know what they use and what backup they may or may not have been able to get.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #153435724th Sep 2015 4:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Bodsy wrote:
I've removed a couple of the generic remaps...

They replace the EGR fault codes with P0000 so you can't even tell what the fault is if you start to get problems

Having been on the wrong end of a poor remap previously, spend the extra, and go for a well known and recommended remapping company, or an agent of said tuners

My remap cost me in excess of £5k (+ VAT) in the end, with a dead gearbox, transfer box, 6 injectors and a front diff. And the injectors were free...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #153443424th Sep 2015 6:45 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Can I have some of those Free injectors Mike... Whistle
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #153444324th Sep 2015 6:55 pm
Disco_Mikey

I wish. They came out of a broken engine Laughing

EGR blanks are here though, you can a have some of them Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #153444624th Sep 2015 6:58 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

20 sets please. Thumbs Up for now. Whistle
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #153444824th Sep 2015 7:00 pm
Disco_Mikey

I'll ping you tomorrow morning, or once the wee one goes to bed. Whatever comes first Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #153446124th Sep 2015 7:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >