Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Overland Trailer Electrics Help (wiring diagram help please)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Overland Trailer Electrics Help (wiring diagram help please)

When I get home I will be adding the second battery to my set up and I have finally gathered all the components that I will need Thumbs Up

So..... I was wondering if someone more knowledgable than me could check over my wiring diagram for the Sankey?

As I see it there are three main parts:

1. Normal supply from both batteries to my distribution board through a Durite selector switch (allowing off, #1 battery, #2 batter or both).

2. Mains charging using the Ctek MX25

3. Charging using a DC source via a Ctek D250s Dual Charger (solar panel and anderson connector from car leisure battery/ alternator)

So the diagram below hopefully brings all three elements together.

Click image to enlarge

One of my main questions is does the diagram work? But also can I place the chargers (both DC and AC) on the main feed out of the selector switch? Obviously both will not be on at the same time, ever, but I have put in a isolator switch to disconnect the DC system when the AC system is powered. Then when the DC is powered the AC 240v will obviously be unplugged (its isolator switch).

My resoning behind using the main out feed form the selector swtich is that when I want to charge each indiviual battery I just use the sleector switch in 'reverse' and select the battery I want to charge. I assume it would work like this?

If there are any corrections would people mind amending please, I really need a diagram to follow Thumbs Up I know the diagram could probably be cleaned up but hopefully you get the idea of what I am trying to achieve Mr. Green

Also both my batteries are the same 110 Ah leisure batteries.

Many thanks as always in advance Bow down
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #150657925th Jul 2015 12:43 am
chopcat

Wales 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

to simplify what is going on you can connect all the various charging methods to the two trailer batteeries and then conect those to the car battery when you need to, oresumably when trailing.
You will only have the car amd trailer connected when charging one way or the other and effectively the batteries will balance each other out and you will be charging three. Although I never keep the trailer connected to the car other than nwhen the car is running and on short trips do not bother connecting them at all. I do not use a charger to do this so you can use the solar charger just for that separate from the anderson coneector.
I dont know why you would want to select one battery or the other. You can loose the selector switch and treat as one big battery on the trailer. Switching adds complication which will probably mean at some point one battery will drain into the other and leave you with none.

You want to add an isolator to the 12v out so that when stored the fridge can run direct from the 240supply and everyhing else will be off.

Hope that helps

CC
 may the odds be ever in your favor  
Post #150660325th Jul 2015 7:24 am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The first thing that strikes me is that the battery selector switch means you can only charge one battery at a time, regardless of which charging source. To be honest, for this application I'd have both batteries wired together in parallel as you don't need to keep one isolated for something mission critical like engine starting. That's the way my old Desert Wolf trailer was configured and it worked well.

You could, if you wanted to, use the selector switch in the supplies from the various charging sources - put the solar on one and both the car and mains charger on the other, as it's highly unlikely that you'd have it plugged into the mains whilst driving Very Happy
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #150660625th Jul 2015 7:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sailorboi

Thanks guys,

CC - the fridge is connected to the 240v system (obviously completely separate) and to the 12v system. So when the main isolator switch is off and the 240v system switched on then the fridge will still run with the 12v system off Thumbs Up

LRA - the idea was both batteries would be charged when the selector switch was set to both.

I think you are right I need to parallel them up and treat it as a large 12v battery through a simple on/ off isolator not necessarily a selector switch. I like the idea of using the selector switch though to isolate the two charging systems from each other. As you said I won't be driving with it plugged I to the mains. I will also only be using the anderson connector to the car on long journeys and when the engine is running Thumbs Up

I will rework the diagram and get back to you Thumbs Up

Thanks
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #150670425th Jul 2015 12:23 pm
sailorboi

Something more like this:

Click image to enlarge

Using the selector switch for the charging circuits as suggested and just one main isolator for the batteries on/ off.

Only thing I am not sure of is have I put the positive out of the selector switch joining the batteries in the correct place?

Thumbs Up

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #150671325th Jul 2015 1:00 pm
chopcat

Wales 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

looks as if it will work to me.

cc
 may the odds be ever in your favor  
Post #150672225th Jul 2015 1:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >