Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Open top Canoe holiday - advice/ recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Open top Canoe holiday - advice/ recommendations

Well I am look at going on a 3 day canoe trip somewhere in the uk with a mate of mine. We want to hire a canadian open top type canoe and wild camp as we go along.

Has anyone any experience of this type of trip and any good recommendations of where to go? We only have a few days so it will be in the Uk. I have looked at Wales and the Lake District but just wanted to get some personal feed back as I Know there are alot of canoe owners on here Thumbs Up

Also tips about hiring a canoe would be appreciated too or if anyone has one they would be willing to rent out Thumbs Up

Any advice welcome please, thanks in advance!

Simon
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #150531522nd Jul 2015 5:07 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You cannot legally wild camp in England.

Best get yourself more time off and pop up to Scotland and venture down Loch Shiel you can wild camp along the way.
Then go through River Shiel at the bottom end of the loch and paddle up the coast to Arisaig.
And your nearly back to where you started.

Stunning scenery especially the rugged coast line with its white sandy (empty) beaches.

Got that on my 'to do' list along with Loch Hourn and out to Kyle of Localsh.

Post #150536822nd Jul 2015 6:25 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

River Wye near the Biblins at Symonds Yat in Herefordshire has a good campsite right on the river....beautiful area to canoe down for a few days....plus they also hire them out nearby!

Post #150545322nd Jul 2015 9:11 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Though apparently forget Biblins as according to the Tripadvisor the manager is a raving loony....

There are several campsites close to Symonds Yat some certainly on the riverside...great pubs alongside the river and incredibly beautiful valley...anywhere between Hereford, Ross on Wye and Monmouth is a stunning part of the country.... The other thing is it's not blighted by midges!

Spent many a happy day there on the river canoeing with the kids and the dogs! Very Happy

Post #150548222nd Jul 2015 10:06 pm
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks guys,

There are plenty of campsites we can use on the way. I found a really good article suggesting a few routes:

http://www.canoekayak.co.uk/Articles/A-Can..._tp40_cat6

I think we will have to hire and get the company to collect us. Some companies include this but others don't and it can get expensive if you get adventurous and get some miles under your belt.

Basically want loads of pubs too as we go along for refuelling Whistle
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #150553023rd Jul 2015 12:59 am
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Unfortunately I cannot help on the hire front but the Llangollen canal is well worth considering, I did it a few years ago, as others have said wild camping is not legal in Wales but I had no problems finding farmers that were happy for us to camp for the night. There is a half mph flow from Llangollen towards Chester so out is slower than back. I have a big barge of a 2 seater kayak that you could borrow FOC if is any good to you? As long as you avoid the 2 weeks starting this coming Saturday when I am on holiday I would be more than happy to meet you somewhere along the canal, with the kayak, and then pick you up a few days later.

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #150554023rd Jul 2015 2:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >