Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Driving in France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Should have said, register for the sanef, best bet via eurotunnel promotion. Changes your life, drive straight through the tolls and settle up when home. You also get a more favourable exchange rate too than using a credit card.
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #14184951st Feb 2015 7:08 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Autoroute tags are worth their weight in gold, especially when driving solo. No painful interaction with the gear shift for one!! Shocked

Plus you get to look smug when passing the mega lines of stuff at the old style paying. Mr. Green

Post #14184981st Feb 2015 7:10 pm
Mr Kington

Sorry to any french people but you also get to feel very smug after they frantically wave and cuss you for being in the wrong lane. Tres bon.
Post #14185211st Feb 2015 7:32 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
I always swap my lights..

on both D3 & the Jag (which is a bit more involved than a D3)

I would get the toll transponder....from the UK provider.

saves all the hassle of the passenger having to Censored about with tickets & cards.
You just sail through....
I almost had Deevorce proceedings with my SWMBO'd with just one trip through France in the Jag low car short hobbit sized wife....the transponder has made life (almost) normal & worth living again. Also got one for Ireland saves having to have Euros.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #14185331st Feb 2015 7:40 pm
Alison2015

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Hi just bought ld3 2005 driving down the road yesterday and it stuck in 2nd gear revved up till 4000 revs and kicked into gear,then 3 lights came on dashboard and said system fault and lowering suspension? Any ideas whats upndrives fine in sports mode.?????

Post #14185431st Feb 2015 7:49 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

@Alison: Best start a new thread as only someone interested in "driving in France" will read this. Thumbs Up

Post #14185491st Feb 2015 7:51 pm
AVO30

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Ive had the Disco down in France and Italy since Oct - Headlamp deflectors are a must! If the lights are not adjustable (correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is only on the Xenon lights) then deflectors can be picked up before your trip in Halfords etc or just as you come of the eurotunnel/Ferry in the first few Petrol stations... You will pay a premium for these though.... I fitted mine ever so slightly wrong the first time and was getting flashed about twice a night on average.

The Gendarme (French) and Caribineri (Italian) are the military branches of the Police - These guys can be the biggest Censored ever yet you cannot even hint at being smart with them.... for the sake of 6 quid get a dual pack of breathalysers and set of spare bulbs (i bought individual ones for all lights - though a standard pack will do - about 15 quid last time i looked) If you have them and can produce them its worth not having the hassle - yes the french law states there is no fine for not having lights but surely its common sense anyway? I don't know how good your french is but try finding a Halfords type shop anywhere random to change your dipped bulbs at night..... Remember that once you use (in theory - though you very likely won't) a breathalyser then you would be breaking the law by not having one - hence they normally are sold in packs of two... though it is a requirement to carry them the fine is not imposed....

Flourescant Jackets - Carry one for each person who will be in the car - Im not saying all seven incase you pick up extras for an evening meal out etc but if three of you are going then carry 3 - remember they MUST be carried inside the Cab - Not in the Boot! - I have mine Vac Packed flat and in the back of the seat for me and SWMBO....

A warning Triangle is compulsory.

In theory your Insurance should be displayed on a 'green card' in the window - This is often not done, Ive had no problems the past 4 months but I have had proof in the car of full insurance - Your provider will be able to give you more details, its important to note that just because you are fully comp in the UK it doesn't mean you will be on the Continent - often the 90 day thing is only covered minimal e.g. 3rd party... You can pay more with your provider o get a higher level of cover...

Any form of Camera detection system is a Big NO NO now - and you will find that their cameras are not painted day glow yellow like ours - they can be VERY sneaky.

Tailgating is something you have to accept, you can be overtaking a car correctly in the outside lane doing the speed limit yet they WILL come up behind you Flashing their lights for you to pull over - They flash their lights to tell you they are there and coming through, DONT pull out as you been flashed, I made that mistake..... ONCE.....

Drive on the right..... Drink drive limit is lower.....Euro wide breakdown cover is advisable....

Some areas require Winter tyres to be fitted OR carrying of snow chains, yet each region can set their own rules... I use cross contact Continentals (M+S) tyres and carry a set of chains (Spyke Spider type) and a set of socks (now approved by the french) never had to fit them - drove through Mont Blanc recently and got waved through whilst 2 Wheel drive cars were being checked.

Carry all Original documents, though trying to prove ownership is a nightmare - the V5 that we all use to prove the car is ours is technically not an ownership document. It clearly states this on there too - the way to get around this is to carry it and a bill of sale in your name if possible.....

Info can be found here;
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touri...monaco.pdf

Mostly enjoy the trip - Get off the Autoroute and take the main roads.....

Post #14185781st Feb 2015 8:48 pm
Apny

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

WOW thanks all, some good info. As said im looking forward to it, gona have a real hoot and enjoy it.

Still sounds like ill have enough room for plenty of fizzy stuff in back Very Happy

Andy

Post #14187492nd Feb 2015 9:55 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

AVO30 wrote:
. for the sake of 6 quid get a dual pack of breathalysers Remember that once you use (in theory - though you very likely won't) a breathalyser then you would be breaking the law by not having one - hence they normally are sold in packs of two... though it is a requirement to carry them the fine is not imposed....

and check they are in date, I believe they have a 2yr life expectancy Thumbs Up
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #14188052nd Feb 2015 12:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I first took a D3 to Europe in 2005. It had Halogens so used the stickers, then spent the next few months trying to get the residue off Shocked

I have taken the latest D3 to Europe many times, it has Xenons and have done nothing to the lights and not had an issue. No flashes, no confrontations with Plod. The main area of light seems to point to the straight ahead so no dazzling of other drivers. It's passed 7 Mots with the lights like this so don't think it's an issue.
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #14189302nd Feb 2015 4:19 pm
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

Don't normally repeat myself, but have to this time.

On the whole I think Discovery drivers are better and more considerate drivers than the average, so I am surprised by those who recommend not switching the lights. the op has a HSE so will have the xenons, it takes about 1 minute to flip them over (you can do the near side without removing the unit once you have done it a couple of times so you know what the switch feels like), so surely it is just considerate of others to change them over?
 d4 HSE  
Post #14189902nd Feb 2015 5:58 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I'm not recommending one way or the other. Just giving my personal experience with my D3. Where my lights point does not have an adverse effect on fellow road users in Europe or in the UK, so I leave them alone.

As with all things Land Rover, I tend to leave things alone until they break, because you can bet your last penny as soon as you try and do anything it will break!!

I'm sure the OP has enough experience as a driver (Discovery drivers are not usually in the 1st flush of youth Very Happy ) to gauge whether he will create any problems leaving them where they are.
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #14190632nd Feb 2015 7:45 pm
Mr Kington

Agree with dusty. Personal choice. But swapping them on a hse adaptive zenons is not easy. it also isnt a two min job. Unless you have fingers like ET.
Post #14190762nd Feb 2015 7:57 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

As said above don't worry about the gendarmes or italian equivalent. If you've attracted their attention it's coz you're speeding or doing something else silly, not lights.

But don't forget your high viz tabards. It's a LR you're driving, they're not known as being the most reliable cars in the world. Laughing Laughing

Post #14190792nd Feb 2015 8:01 pm
blowpipe

England 

Concur with the above. Regular trips two or three times every year to France, never adjusted the lights or encountered any annoyance. Again, personal choice but in all those trips never had a disapproving flash from the locals so the effect must be negligeable.

Definately have Hi Viz on view in the car (most have them draped over the back of the front passenger seats as an overt display of compliance).

Breathalyser kits? On paper a requirement but not enforced - in fact, there's no power to fine for non compliance. Some motoring sites still peddle the myth to make a few quid out of selling them.

Been stopped by Gendarmerie once or twice, all they were interested in were the standard vehicle documents and driving licence. Always have these in the vehicle.

Post #14190962nd Feb 2015 8:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >