Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

How safe is the D3 / D4 ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
photoscubaman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

according to the article it hit the land rover discovery at over 124mph 200kph.

give you some idea how strong the Disco is.

Post #140865116th Jan 2015 12:07 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I remember that thread...I may never forget it,truly horrific Neutral
But I'm with Clarkson and others who have voiced the same view on here,above and previously.....its not PC to voice it,but it's my family I care about,and their safety comes above other peoples families....sorry if that offends,but it's the truth and is one of the main reasons I have a Discovery....I understand people say "what about the other car"?....well,they also had a choice of what vehicle they drive......as I said,not PC to think like that apparently,but my family comes first
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #140865516th Jan 2015 12:16 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

^^^^
Completely agree Euan. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #140866616th Jan 2015 12:29 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Plus me Euan!

After spending many years as a Police collision investigator (and prior to that on Traffic), as you can imagine, I've seen lots of sights. But, 99.999999% of collisions are totally avoidable in the first place. The example we're using here no doubt backs that up. Any idiot can drive fast (in this case 200 kph!), but look what happens when things go wrong!

Again, not PC, but I couldn't care less about those who want to do stupid things, but I do so very much about my family. Those who think that they're good drivers (and tend to be dangerous as a result) can wrap themselves around trees and lampposts for ever and a day as far as I'm concerned, but it's when they drag poor innocents into the equation that winds me up.

Post #140869216th Jan 2015 1:23 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

They shouldn't be driving anything, but alas they're allowed to drive anything from a bicycle to an artic, and do so regularly I'm afraid.

Post #140875416th Jan 2015 3:26 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I bought my Discovery because I needed safe a 7 seater. I was thinking of getting a D2 due to its simplicity. I looked at D2's D3's and Volvo Xc90's too. After reviewing loads about these vehicles, I finally settled on the D3. It's safety for passengers was the final clincher.
I spent some time working for a main dealer that also did the out of hours police recovery stuff. I saw the aftermath all sorts of accidents. Most of these were caused carelessness or plain stupidity. Just before Christmas I was almost in a head on collision with a small white van 100 yards from my house! I was coming round the final corner before pulling up outside my house. Suddenly around the corner comes this van on my side of the road, overtaking another larger van. Obviously I stand on the brake, pulling the Discovery up very quickly for its size. The van just keeps coming at me, forcing it's way through the tiniest gap, cutting up the larger van in the process. I didn't get hit but, it's nice to know that if I had been going a few mph faster, or my reactions a few milliseconds slower, the Discovery would have kept me safe should a collision occurred. As to the driver of the white van in that situation? He chose to overtake on a blind corner, so chose to accept what could well have happened to him. PC or not, as long as my family and me are safe and I'm not to blame, the other guy is unimportant.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #140906216th Jan 2015 10:59 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Back in 2008 I said on this forum that I have read various Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) reports and their analysis, which based on UK national accident statistics, shows that taking everything into account 4x4 pose less of a risk than average, for those in them, those in other vehicles and for pedestrians.

Originally TRL was asked by the Department of Transport to investigate the effect of 4x4s on accident statistics. This was in response to remarks made by anti 4x4 campaigners about the dangers posed 4x4s. However, the TRL report came out with the opposite result.

TRL 663, which has just been issued in 2007, shows that for the group containing 4x4s:
a/ The car occupant fatality rate is 64% lower than average (see note 1).
b/ The car occupant KSI (killed and seriously injured) rate is 54% lower than average (see note 1).
c/ The pedestrian fatality rate is 27% lower than average (see note 2).
d/ The pedestrian KSI injured rate is 38% lower than average (see note 2).
Note:
1. For car occupant data see figure 4.10 titled “Car occupant fatality and KSI rates” page 26.
2. For pedestrian data see Table 4.2 titled Pedestrian fatality and KSI rates and age of car, 2001-05” page 27.

Another TRL report PPR203 see figure 3.5 on page 16 showed that it terms of killing and seriously injuring people in other vehicles 4x4s are not in the highest group, small saloons and medium saloons are worse.

Post #140911617th Jan 2015 12:33 am
shanegtr

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Anyone know how well a D3 will hold up in a rollover? I went through a heavy rollover last year in an 80 series Landcruiser so roof strength is one thing I'm very interested in for any 4wd

Post #140923017th Jan 2015 11:27 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

My understanding of the South African collision was that the oncoming Audi was travelling sideways when it impacted the Disco, hence the LR winch wrapped up in the Audi gearstick.

This is a fairly old video clip which you've probably seen before but it shows how newer car crash technology can stand up to a mobile pile of girders slamming into the front of your car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad8dHYAIhZ4
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #140924417th Jan 2015 12:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

shanegtr wrote:
Anyone know how well a D3 will hold up in a rollover? I went through a heavy rollover last year in an 80 series Landcruiser so roof strength is one thing I'm very interested in for any 4wd

Not many examples of rolled D3's or 4's on here tbh ...but they will go if you catch them right or try hard enough. The pillars are strengthened with boron steel which helps but there are a lot of variables in a rollover tbh. If I'm going to be in a rollover then I'd be quite hapy to be in my D4 at the time Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #140924617th Jan 2015 12:10 pm
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

When i bought mine, safety was a concern.
I had 3 non fault smashes in my 2 FL1's. One was written off after being rear ended by a lorry and shoved into a focus. Nothing like seeing your rear view mirror fill with white cab and having nothing you can do about it.

I bought the D3 as i've always wanted a Disco.
It's proved to be an excellent car for both work and play.

That G4 vs Audi smash is chilling though! Sad
That poor family having to go through that. The D3 held up superbly considering the speed and energy that would have been involved. The passenger compartment has stood up very well.

If the worst comes to it, i expect my D3 to give it's life to protect me and anyone else in the car.

Post #140924817th Jan 2015 12:15 pm
shanegtr

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
shanegtr wrote:

Not many examples of rolled D3's or 4's on here tbh ...but they will go if you catch them right or try hard enough. The pillars are strengthened with boron steel which helps but there are a lot of variables in a rollover tbh. If I'm going to be in a rollover then I'd be quite hapy to be in my D4 at the time Thumbs Up

With our crash a car with DSC would have saved us from going over - or at least taken some of the severity out of the crash - 4.5 times over from 110km/h. Lucky for us it was straight flat road with nothing to hit apart from the bitumen Laughing The cruisers pillars that day where strengthen with my spine, which done a decent job but gave out in the end Rolling Eyes End of the day my 4 kids got out with nothing more severe than scrapes and bruises but both myself and my wife hospitalized. Most important thing for car safety is still the humble seatbelt!!!! Cant believe there's still people out there who dont wear them

(for those interested: http://www.offroad80s.com/my-80-is-no-more-t13204-45.html )

Post #140926617th Jan 2015 1:02 pm
Wolfpack

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I am surprised how easily that Discovery rolled in the film clip above. They weren't going that fast! I wonder if the driver took the wrong evasive action with the wheel?

Post #140929217th Jan 2015 2:07 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Wouldn't have thought that a mere saloon could've pushed a Disco over, especially at such low speed. Shocked
However I reckon it was the Disco drivers natural instinct of trying to take evasive action that conributed to it rolling.
IMO if the Disco driver kept the 'straight ahead' line or even better, turned towards the car, he wouldn't have rolled.

Just my thought!

btw. not very encouraging to see all the bystanders in the background just stood there and not do anything!

Post #140929617th Jan 2015 2:16 pm
disco5

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Would be in a d3 /d4 any day of the week in any type of crash

Have you seen any of the new rrsports or ffrr in/ after a crash now they are monocoque body.

They don't look good at all in front impacts or side impacts

Seen a few for sale in salvage sites

Post #140930217th Jan 2015 2:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >