DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Engine performance Query Disco 3 Diesil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
driverbus70

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Firenze RedDiscovery 3
Engine performance Query Disco 3 Diesil

Engine performance query?
Not sure about this at all but here go's. Just before Christmas I replaced both headlamp bulbs with 'super bright bulbs from Halfords. Now this is the bit My Disco 3, year 2008 70,200 miles on the clock. Now seems to run much better! The engine is smoother with more power and a better pick up! All round better pulling through the gears, it seems strange but it is a much more improved car!
How can this be ! Still the same fuel in it from our local supermarket & no other changes apart from my reverse parking sensors are not working ( which they have been off & on for the last couple of months). So can anyone shed any light (pardon the pun) on this? mystified, Thanks John Very Happy

Post #13993732nd Jan 2015 3:56 pm
doz

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Could it be running better because the weathers colder? I've had turbo cars before which loved it when the air is denser. Or maybe when you tried the lights you were blinded and have in fact got into someone elses car Shocked

Post #13993862nd Jan 2015 4:19 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Maybe it's just seen the light?

Post #13993902nd Jan 2015 4:20 pm
driverbus70

Dos Adam

Ha Ha yep I find it funny too but I am enjoying my disco more than ever now Whatever the reason is! Its running better! I have had turbo cars before too so don't think its the cold weather that's doing it, but whatever! I just hope it continues ! Cheers !

Post #13993952nd Jan 2015 4:36 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Had you just refuelled? Mine always seems to fly after filling it up...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #13993992nd Jan 2015 4:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
driverbus70

Stumped

No to re fueling, had the car 18 months done 22,000 miles & a bit. A lot of that towing my caravan. Fill the tank up normally when it gets down to the quarter full mark. Serviced regularly, Not due a service till May when it will get it's 'big one'. Brakes etc all ok Not binding or any thing , before this quite noticeable improvement in the running. Happy I am but stumped as to WHY? Cheers Ps fuel just the normal at our local Sainsburys supermarket nothing fancy like Shell formula or out.

Post #13994972nd Jan 2015 6:53 pm
driverbus70

Stumped

No to re fuelling, had the car 18 months done 22,000 miles & a bit. A lot of that towing my caravan. Fill the tank up normally when it gets down to the quarter full mark. Serviced regularly, Not due a service till May when it will get it's 'big one'. Brakes etc all ok Not binding or any thing , before this quite noticeable improvement in the running. Happy I am but stumped as to WHY? Cheers Ps fuel just the normal at our local Sainsburys supermarket nothing fancy like Shell formula or out.

Post #13994982nd Jan 2015 6:54 pm
Disgoeshere

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi
Our car a different vehicle altogether operates strange,prior to towing our car drives nice, during towing
no problem, but heavier right foot needed and slightly more effort needed to drive the car.(towing)
After the caravan is off the car and roughly 4 to 5 days later all of a sudden the car bursts back into life it's like a new car.
I was talking to a guy about this one day on site and he mentioned something about EMS,and ECU systems adjusting the vehicle engine for towing have no idea if it's correct so please no flaming.
However I did come across this info below maybe the lights are coincidence?
I think the limp mode bit for me means more right foot needed."info from the caravan club"
This info may not be fact but only trying to help Very Happy .

In recent years motor vehicles have become very sophisticated electronically and vehicle ECU's control just about everything within a modern vehicle, these vehicle ECU's are now so sensitive that any slight difference to any standard programed tolerance can course the vehicle to go into limp-mode. When connecting a heavy trailer such as a caravan to a modern vehicle, the vehicle, like vehicles manufactured in years gone by will require more fuel, more air and more power will be demanded from the vehicle engine as it is pulling more weight than it would be solo. In past years this has not been a problem as cars were not ECU controlled or ECU controlled cars built a few years ago, the ECU's were not as sensitive as they are today. We now have a problem with some modern cars and over the next few years I believe this problem is going to become worse unless the vehicles ECU knows when you connect your caravan to your tow-car so it can make engine management changes ETC to allow for the towing of a heavy trailer preventing the vehicle switching into limp-mode. So in these modern times, how can the vehicles ECU detect when a trailer is connected to a tow-car? Some modern vehicles can detect a coupled trailer automatically by sensing additional bulbs and extra weight on the rear suspension ETC when a trailer is first connected to the vehicle, there should be no limp-mode problems with vehicles with this type of detection. We now get down to the route of the problem with the said vehicles that are repeatedly going into limp-mode when a caravan is connected. The ECU's on many modern vehicles built within the past few years are programed to detect a connected trailer through pin 12 within the euro plug, this is causing problems as some tow-bar fitters are not connecting relevant wire from the vehicles ECU to this pin. This maybe due to them fitting universal seven-way bypass relays to power the trailers road lighting or fitting none franchise tow-electric kits that are not compatible to use with the pin 12 detection function. It may mean that you may have to pay twice and have your current tow-electrics replaced by a genuine franchise tow-electrical kit that is solely manufactured for your vehicle alone, this maybe the only way of curring the limp-mode problem. To this end, if your vehicles ECU needs to know that you are towing by detecting through pin 12, you must address this in order to solve the problem.

Good luck

Post #13996542nd Jan 2015 9:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
driverbus70

Hi thanks car has always run well never in limp home mode. Its just now running better! Never doubted it was going just fine but now as I say its better more crisp & responsive smoother & pulling better! Its great but I don't know why! John

Post #13996942nd Jan 2015 10:54 pm
Alan B

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If it's all going great I'd not complain

Thumbs Up
 D3 57 xs Stornaway grey
D2 02 commercial silver gone but a great servant and won't be forgotten

Iid Bluetooth 

Post #13997042nd Jan 2015 11:06 pm
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Dare you to take the bulbs out and 'test' it again.

Razz

Post #13997232nd Jan 2015 11:31 pm
STARK

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Yep^ swap the bulbs back and see what happens...
 I am not in danger - I am the danger - I am the one who knocks  
Post #13997422nd Jan 2015 11:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >