Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

I think my Disco 3 was built on a Friday!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jimmy74

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3
I think my Disco 3 was built on a Friday!

Evening all, It's been a while since I posted last. Some of you may recall the troubles I encountered last year with the discovery. New Engine, New Turbo. Well that was in August. In September the MOT was due as was the service. It failed the MOT on rear arm bushes, I understand it's a heavy car bla bla bla but seriously it's only don 73k miles. Well over the weekend the gearbox started playing some funny tunes and jumping up and down the gears on its own. (Auto box) So I took it to Bishops 4x4 in Peterborough for them to have a look. ( They serviced it last as I wasn't going back to the dealers who fitted my engine and I was very happy with the service I had received). They plugged it in to their computer and road tested it. Low and behold the gearbox is knackered and needs replacement. Great! I'm covered by Warranty Direct and they are paying for the repairs thank god.

Seriously though I expected my Discovery to last loner than 75k before another major component went tits up. From what I understand this isn't an uncommon problem.
When will Landrover stop making their components out of cheese and build these cars for the job they say they can do?
The repairs in the last 6 months have come to more than the value of the car. Fortunately LR paid for the Turbo and engine replacement and the gearbox is covered so I'm not paying the bill but what if that wasn't the case? I would be £££ running out of money by now.

Rant over. Just wanted to share my joys of Discovery ownership with you all.
P.S The Land cruiser that replaced SHMBA 's Disco has covered 7k faultless miles.

Post #141480726th Jan 2015 7:29 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

It's a LR, they're all built on a Friday!!!!! Laughing Laughing

Post #141481026th Jan 2015 7:33 pm
harrythespider

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Did you buy it new or pre-owned?

Post #141481226th Jan 2015 7:34 pm
Jimmy74

Pre owned. I did do a check with the PO before I bought it just to make sure it wasn't an ex Highways Agency Vehicle that's been used to tow stranded lorrys or block of motorways.

Post #141481626th Jan 2015 7:38 pm
Disco dazboy

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just daydreaming then about LR having toyota like reliability! Saying that I can't really complain mines been a gud'un! Whistle
 D3 x2 now gone
Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace 4motion 

Post #141481826th Jan 2015 7:41 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

If you want reliability buy Japanese, if you want capability buy a LR product. Don't expect both, if you get it then the gods are with you. Thumbs Up

Post #141482426th Jan 2015 7:47 pm
Disco dazboy

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Maybe the D5 will have both and be a world beater? Whistle
 D3 x2 now gone
Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace 4motion 

Post #141482626th Jan 2015 7:55 pm
Jimmy74

I'm not sure on the capability comparison as the Toyota seems to be on par with the disco 3. IMHO
I've owned LR's for over 20 years. My last disco was a TD5 and other than general wear it covered the 250k without fault? In fact it's now owned by a mate of mine and still going strong. Should of kept the darn thing. Lol
I know LR quality is hit and miss but I still love um. SHMBA wanted another Toyota not me. Anyway, with the Disco broken again it just gives me an excuse to use one of the Series LR's in the stable.

Post #141483226th Jan 2015 8:02 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Robots don't know it's Friday Wink

9 year old motor, 73k ....complaining about bushes ...really Confused Laughing

As for the gearbox ..ZF build them ....you know that reliable German company Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #141483626th Jan 2015 8:03 pm
doz

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: I think my Disco 3 was built on a Friday!

Jimmy74 wrote:
Evening all, It's been a while since I posted last. Some of you may recall the troubles I encountered last year with the discovery. New Engine, New Turbo. Well that was in August. In September the MOT was due as was the service. It failed the MOT on rear arm bushes, I understand it's a heavy car bla bla bla but seriously it's only don 73k miles. Well over the weekend the gearbox started playing some funny tunes and jumping up and down the gears on its own. (Auto box) So I took it to Bishops 4x4 in Peterborough for them to have a look. ( They serviced it last as I wasn't going back to the dealers who fitted my engine and I was very happy with the service I had received). They plugged it in to their computer and road tested it. Low and behold the gearbox is knackered and needs replacement. Great! I'm covered by Warranty Direct and they are paying for the repairs thank god.

Seriously though I expected my Discovery to last loner than 75k before another major component went tits up. From what I understand this isn't an uncommon problem.
When will Landrover stop making their components out of cheese and build these cars for the job they say they can do?
The repairs in the last 6 months have come to more than the value of the car. Fortunately LR paid for the Turbo and engine replacement and the gearbox is covered so I'm not paying the bill but what if that wasn't the case? I would be £££ running out of money by now.

Rant over. Just wanted to share my joys of Discovery ownership with you all.
P.S The Land cruiser that replaced SHMBA 's Disco has covered 7k faultless miles.

What year is yours? I have also experienced som big bills you wouldn't of expected by the current mileage. Mine is 07 registered but is an 08 model. The previous owner who is on here and has been most helpful and clearly well maintained the car so like you I'm left scratching my head. However if you need or want something to do the job excellently then you don't have many other options.

Post #141484026th Jan 2015 8:05 pm
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I think you have been very unlucky given the mileage to have had a new engine and need a new gearbox. Vehicles like that always intrigue me, I know we all joke about "Friday Afternoon" cars but given that there thousands of these out there with double/triple your mileage running original engines/gearboxes. Is there some underlying issue causing the problems, who knows? Was the gearbox putting a strain on the engine all along or vice versa, sadly I doubt you'll ever know. If you bought a new one tomorrow and drove it hard for 1500 miles a week I still think you be pretty unlucky to wreck it in 75K.

Robots don't make mistakes unless they are broken so you expect things to be pretty even across the board but they are all different and we all drive differently.

If you could buy a new engine from LR for £2k or proper recon gearbox from someone like Ashcrofts for £700 then most of this wouldn't seem so bad.

I'm glad you've got the warranty!
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Post #141487526th Jan 2015 8:35 pm
Jimmy74

The Disco is a 57 reg. The engine fault was oil pump related and I'm not sure if the engine going tits up on the motorway at 70+ has anything to do with the gearbox issues. I guess I will never know.
I enjoying the car so once this issue is sorted I will keep driving it and enjoying it. If it costs me £1k pa to keep on the road then I'm happy with that. After all, after I've had the gearbox done it should drive like a new car again. Lol.I'm certainly not going to get rid of my back up series 3 for a while.

I am how ever planning to sell my ex military Series 1 if anyone is interested. PM me for more details.

Post #141500026th Jan 2015 10:56 pm
Stooby2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
If you want reliability buy Japanese, if you want capability buy a LR product. Don't expect both, if you get it then the gods are with you. Thumbs Up

You've heard the Australian saying - "If you want to go into the Outback, take a Land Rover. If you want to come back, take a Toyota"?

The Land Cruiser is easily as capable as a Discovery and a whole lot more reliable. If you watch Countryfile or any of that style of programmes, nearly all the farmers and Land Owners are moving over to Mitsubishi, Toyota and Nissan vehicles.

I've spent over three grand on my Disco in the last year on stuff that simply should not have worn out at 70k mileage. Speaking to a very experienced Land Rover mechanic recently he was say the stuff fitted to Discos and Rangeys in the last ten years is really poor quality.

I thought the 1999 Freelander I bought was a bad car, but this Disco beats it hands down and sadly, will be my last Land Rover after 30 years of owning them.

Post #141511627th Jan 2015 9:22 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Yawn
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #141512127th Jan 2015 9:29 am
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Stooby2 wrote:

The Land Cruiser is easily as capable as a Discovery and a whole lot more reliable. If you watch Countryfile or any of that style of programmes, nearly all the farmers and Land Owners are moving over to Mitsubishi, Toyota and Nissan vehicles.

Ah yes Countryfile shows completely what rural life is all about, what next Emmerdale? Rolling with laughter

The reason many are buying those pickups is because they are like cars and have 5 seats but are commercial vehicles so cheap tax,VAT back etc.You are also living in a dream world if you think those things don't get problems

If you spent any time in the countryside you would see that Landrover has a massive presence, those people tend to get less problems with too as they get properly used,towing,offroad, not just to impress everyone at school.

It's only relatively recently that any of those pickups could legally tow 3.5t, a friend of ours runs Ford Rangers but keeps a 90 for when the stock box if full because the pickups can't handle it.
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Post #141515227th Jan 2015 10:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >