Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

iPhone 6/6 Plus DELIVERED....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well I am now officially iphone loaded Rolling with laughter

The iphone 6 plus 128GB daddy arrived to complete the family Mr. Green , just need some more ears now to hold them to Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #134578122nd Sep 2014 1:49 pm
dsd1036

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

More ears and bigger hands to use the bloody thing Whistle

Got my 6 plus on Friday and today I'm still struggling to use it single handed Big Cry

Nice screen,good camera and fairly fast tho!

Rgds

Darrell Thumbs Up

Post #134581322nd Sep 2014 2:37 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Went to Bluewater this morning and picked up a silicon case for it as will use that when running.

Other cases are on order... have two others on way, slip and a wallet type as am changing the way I use my devices, carry wallet etc.,

Interesting to see the queue of people and the disappointment as Apple opened at 10am this morning and told the reasonably large queue that reservations only and no stock.... I got a fews looks as I was mailing someone on the 6 plus as she was telling them Twisted Evil
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #134581922nd Sep 2014 2:50 pm
Discotres

Battery analysis of the 6 Plus using an App Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #134582222nd Sep 2014 2:57 pm
rockcrawler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

So which one are you keeping DT or is it too early to say Question
 D3 Metropolis Bonatti Grey-Alpaca Leather-adaptive headlights-fridge-EGR blanking kit-Harmen Karden-Cruise-4x4 info enabled-Tinted Windows-Heated F&R Seats-Rosen rear Entertainment-LED'S everywhere -Smoked Side Repeaters-Rear Aircon-Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme-Puddle and Footwell Lamps-Stainless Steel Side Protection Tubes- NEW ASHTRAY ( thanks to dsd1036 )
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #134586722nd Sep 2014 4:12 pm
Discotres

Well I used the 6 over the weekend and found it a safe phone, e.g. it was familiar in size and function to the 5 with IOS 8, in fact not much different really for the money although the slightly bigger screen did help and the slimness was nice except on both the 6's the rounded edges are making them very sloppy if you have dry hands so easy to drop.

The 6 plus, well I have used it this afternoon and don't really like it, it's bulky. its very dangerous naked in your pocket as it isn't small enough to stay in, it just creeps to the top edge/lip of the trouser pocket meaning it could easily just slip out if you sat or bent down if know what I mean. The size means its trying too hard to be a big boy e.g. an iPad but just isn't, so what is it, well I have no idea apart from an awkward thing to lug around and look after, it's ridiculous as a phone, it requires two hands really and too small for an iPad.

You can't fault the 'Porsche' type quality of either of the phones but there is no getting away from the fact that it looks like one of those huge phones you used to be able to get for the elderly or those with special needs. With my eyes it is appreciated and that is where the problem of choice is, do I keep it and look like an old person, someone with special news or just a total dick, or do I stay with the 6 and use my iPad or Macbook when I require a larger screen.

Well I am going to keep using it and see if my thoughts change, Dubbs had his 6 plus over the weekend and he is neither old or to my knowledge special needs, that only leaves a total dick, but then I actually didn't think that either so that is the reason I am sticking with it. Apple aren't daft, they have produced it for a reason, they see the future, what is good is that it is actually something different for a change, the 6 is like the 5/5S so no real change apart from what I mentioned.

I will have a play with my 6"er tonight and see what comes of it, maybe just a bit of playing around will help me bond, but at the moment my views above remain. Wink

I guess with all the synching over wifi, its not unreasonable to have both and just switch SIM cards when you feel you need a change, all of this case nonsense really defeats buying a piece of amazing technology and design only to cover it in plastic or other bulky covers, I must get my head around what to do although I have a leather case on orders I'm as confused as anyone. The 6 plus has a massive screen to protect, that is scary as the replacement will not be cheap, Apple do an insurance cover with a £50 excess, its around £70 I think permitting 2 claims a year, is it worth it? Thumbs Up

Post #134590822nd Sep 2014 5:19 pm
Crost

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

DT anychance you can sit the phone in front of the sat nav screen to see how well it fits in the space?
I'm looking for an alternative to the in built, I noticed the new 6" Fire HD is a close size, just curious is the iPhone would be an answer. My 5 is due for an upgrade I'm November.

Cheers

Post #134593622nd Sep 2014 6:22 pm
Discotres

One set back one forward, I have a GS and don't have sat nav fitted, I just use the phone Thumbs Up

The sizes are clear on the Apple website if you need them to make a template Wink

Post #134595322nd Sep 2014 6:36 pm
Discotres

OK, update review on the 6 plus from my perspective. Well I am doing my best to love this monstrosity but it's hard, as I said it's not something you have in the palm of your hand and slip in your pocket without noticing, the 6 plus is like permanently walking around with a notebook (paper type for size), it's a pain in the @rse because it's that awkward size, a bit like the difference of having a coin pouch or a large women's purse (size of purse not woman), if you don't have a handbag where do you put it, you are forever a slave to this problem!

I am really going to have to work out the pros and cons of each, no problem either way as I have both but hopefully it could help someone else make the choice. I will report back in a couple of days, let's see if I get used to it, but I see a risk of it being left somewhere if not in my pocket and bring carried about like a notebook. I have two covers on order, one is a slim case it slips into, a pain because when you get it out you then have to do something with the case, and one a wallet type it clips into which has room for credit cards but this makes it bulky, totally defeats the beauty of seeing the engineering and colour, gives you an even bulkier object to care for and holding a huge purse to your ear will make you look a real knob Very Happy

Interested to hear any other reviews on the plus as I am doing my best to love it, maybe I should turn gay and buy a handbag, then I wouldn't have these problems Rolling with laughter

Post #134627623rd Sep 2014 7:32 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

This'll have you peeps that are waiting for a new 6 in tears. Whistle Whistle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...one-6.html

Post #134633023rd Sep 2014 9:11 am
Discotres

My point EXACTLY, the 6 plus is more than a handful, a tricky one handed size with fingers clawing at the edges, dry hands are worse as its a very smooth sloppy creature, well my limited edition gold one is Whistle Laughing

I mentioned earlier somewhere about the insurance you can take out, but the £50 excess is an issue for me, I was in an Apple shop and someone needed a battery and were covered under the warranty/insurance they had bought, they were told it was £50 and when they said they had the insurance Apple said but you have to pay the £50 excess. No idea what a screen is but its got to be around the £130 mark, so you are gambling £80 or so on breaking a screen although it covers other things as well. You can make 2 cams a year but the cost of all these things adds up, soon you could have had a MacBook Pro Rolling Eyes

No doubts about it now this is NOT a phone, its a Phablet, if you want a phone stick with the 5/5S, or even go for a 6, but then with a 6 if you are covering it in crappy plastic bulky covers why even bother, maybe if your eyes need a slightly bigger screen but I didn't notice much difference to the 5, it didn't seem like I had a new phone which isn't the case with the Plus Phablet, my god you know you are lugging that around Rolling Eyes

Still not decided, but ordered some expensive plus covers so that may sway me, but I don't fancy the next 2 yrs going a round wishing I had never got the Censored ing thing and just use my iPads instead (new ones coming out next month as well Wink ). With the iPad now answering the phone you could just use an iPad mini and connect to even a 4S in your pocket, at least the iPad would be a lot more functional than trying to read on the plus Phablet, I'm not saying you can't but don't try to make it work for you it will strain your eyes, a bit like reading novel from a small notebook.

Anyway thats it for now still undecided Confused

Oh! found the repair costs for those that want to think about the consequences of a broken screen or battery fault Wink

EXCESS NOW £55!

Apple Care Cost:
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/APP_IPHO...for-iphone

Repair Costs:
https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

Last edited by Discotres on 23rd Sep 2014 9:33 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #134633323rd Sep 2014 9:27 am
rockcrawler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

D3 Metropolis Bonatti Grey-Alpaca Leather-adaptive headlights-fridge-EGR blanking kit-Harmen Karden-Cruise-4x4 info enabled-Tinted Windows-Heated F&R Seats-Rosen rear Entertainment-LED'S everywhere -Smoked Side Repeaters-Rear Aircon-Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme-Puddle and Footwell Lamps-Stainless Steel Side Protection Tubes- NEW ASHTRAY ( thanks to dsd1036 )
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #134633423rd Sep 2014 9:28 am
Discotres

Some pics of an iPhone 4S and a 6 Plus (forget the iphone is upside down in the first pic)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

You are paying a massive amount of money for not a lot more, my 128GB 6 Plus is in the realms of Laptop money just about!

With the insurance/warranty you need at least one smashed screen or one duff battery to just break even on the cost of the premium plus excess! And your duff battery is covered in the first 12mths anyway.

Post #134636123rd Sep 2014 10:06 am
Crost

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

thanks DT.

Thumbs Up
 Mark

Remember its only an obsession....

Mods:
Original Beanie Narpy Grill, Black lettering, De-Tango'ed, Side steps, Hids LEDs upgrade, Halo DRL, Smoked side repeaters, D4 Bluetooth upgrade, Flacks magic with the fault mate, Upgraded D4 compressor, ERG's blanked, Tints, D4 rear lights, Short rails & cross bars, LR Ladder. Reversing camera (needs activating!!) 

Post #134645623rd Sep 2014 12:12 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

So for me the 6 plus is about changing the way I use my devices.

I have been using an iPhone 5S and an iPad Mini. These days there is a lot more consuming of content, looking things up, satnav, email, etc., going on in my life as well as Kindle and the like.

Often I find I'll wait until I get home to look in to something as I don't have the iPad mini with me and the laptop is a faff to get out whilst travelling on train or similar.

So this is where the 6plus comes in. It performs both roles really well, I no longer need to carry iPad and iPhone around, both can go. The screen is just perfect for any kind of consumption of content or communication.

In addition I notice that I tend to not have the phone in my pocket when I sit down anyway, habit makes me take the phone out and hold it or have it on the table I'm at. Past experience has taught me to be careful!

I am also looking at how I carry my wallet around... I can use a wallet type case with the iPhone and have everything in one place - I don't need as many cards as I currently travel around with and instead of now carrying iPhone, iPad, Wallet I can just carry the phone with a couple of cards and some notes in the case.

Sure some will comment on if it gets stolen it all goes, well, yes it does if you're stupid and don't look after it but within seconds using a friend's phone it'd all be sorted anyway.

If you are looking at the 6Plus just as a phone then don't bother.

If you are looking at the 6 plus with an eye on the future of these devices and as a "phablet" (hate the word but the intent behind it is correct) then you're spot on.

6 Plus demand outstripped the 6.... tells you how the market is moving... especially when compared to other phones 5S, LG G3, Sony Z3,etc.,

Don't just buy for the wow factor.
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #134662923rd Sep 2014 5:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >