Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Towbar question (was in Towbars & VOSA)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Sailterry

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
Correct position of locking handle on detachable tow

Hi All new to here and new owner of a D3 so this may sound stupid but just cleaned out my tow bar recipticle as no red plastic cap was in place, have a brand new un used LR tow bar had problems yesterday trying to fit but decided to soak everything in WD40. Today managed to get the tow bar in and snap it locked in place. The green knob is horizontal when locked.

Now I had another clean and managed to locate the tow bar in and the green handle is a little higher so I guess that the pin us going in further. When I locked with the red key I can still pull the green handle out, expose the red ring but can't turn the green handle.

Not knowing what is correct or not is this ok? I have a few issues with injectors which are going to be sorted this week but we are off towing our caravan (bessacarr Cameo 525SL) which is weighty at 1725kg don't want to start and have a problem giving the issues mentioned in this thread.

Any advice would be appreciated

Terry[/img]

Post #12796965th May 2014 12:29 pm
Sailterry

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

tlt wrote:
To the previous poster, what is your question exactly? LR defines the hitch now for occasional light use, it sounds like you are ok.

I have managed to get the tow bar on as the D3 I just purchased had no blanking insert in the tow bar hole and needed cleaning out with WD40.

The detachable bar I have is brand new never used and I managed to get it to lock in this morning but decided to give the tow bar hole on the disco another clean out with brushes and WD40.

Now when I put the tow bar in it goes up real easy and snaps into place but I noticed that the green knob that you pull and turn to get off seems to be and a higher rotation which means the locking pin is further in.

Now my question is when you lock the tow into position and remove the key can your pull the green knob out and show the red ring and turn? It won't go beyond horizontal but and this is the big one it tends to loosen the tow a little so my question is when locked in place is the green knob horizontal and you can pull it to expose the red ring or should that be impossible to pull out as it's locked with the key?

This is my worry my D3 is a 2006 model so a little old but is prestige condition.

Terry

Now if I knew how to post photo I could show both conditions[/img]
 Love My wife, kids, Family, Radio Sailing and D3  
Post #12798915th May 2014 8:41 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think you can still pull the handle with the key removed, but you cant turn it to remove the bracket. Mine does this, its done lots of towing and never lost a trailer yet!

BTW, my removable towbar is nearly 10 yrs old (got it with my first D3) and has been used about 80 times to tow a caravan, on 2 x D3's and now a D4.

I oil the mating faces of the bracket before insertion, and smear some grease on afterwards. It has always given a reassuring clunk when inserted, and I have never had to force it in ( Shocked I am still talking about the towbar BTW) No clunks or rattles when towing either. The only noise I get is a bit of creaking from the BPW anti snake hitch which clamps the ball really tight.

Post #12798985th May 2014 8:50 pm
g-dog-s

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Sailterry wrote:

Now my question is when you lock the tow into position and remove the key can your pull the green knob out and show the red ring and turn? It won't go beyond horizontal but and this is the big one it tends to loosen the tow a little so my question is when locked in place is the green knob horizontal and you can pull it to expose the red ring or should that be impossible to pull out as it's locked with the key?

Terry, my detachable tow hitch (new with new D4 in 2012) behaves exactly as you describe. When properly inserted and locked the green handle can be pulled sideways a little revealing some of the red ring and rotated very slightly before the lock stops any more movement. The actual hitch also moves very slightly but when you release the handle it all reverts to solid on mine.This movement is much less than when unlocked & in the process of removing the hitch.

There is no visible wear in either hitch or receiver on mine and I remove, clean & stow the hitch immediately after every towing journey.

I tow an IFW HB 510 (inc live cargo) on average once a week but including a few very long motorway journeys a dozen times a year so, to my thinking, not " continuous use" but fully requiring the towing capacity & capability of the Disco 4 as claimed

I have watched this thread carefully as I'm worried by it and understand why it raises serious concern for so many. However, I see no reason to change what I currently do as the device I have is being used as and performs as specified by Land rover. I would change to the fixed version if either I towed nearly every day or I couldn't be bothered to remove the removable hitch after each use.
However, my confidence in towing precious live animals is less than it used to be because of this issue which is a shame as in all other respects the D4 is better at towing than anything I've driven

Post #12799696th May 2014 1:28 am
Sailterry

Thanks Gareth and S dogs thats put my mind at rest well at least at the moment Thumbs Up until I hook up the caravan next week!! Very Happy

Terry
Post #12799886th May 2014 7:32 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Terry, I think that even if it does loosen the bracket when you pull the handle without the key in, so long as it springs back when you let go, it is functioning as intended.

I mean, your hardly likely to be pulling that handle whilst your towing along!

Post #12799996th May 2014 8:34 am
Sailterry

Thanks Gareth it's not when driving it was when I put it on and locked I was not sure if my lock was faulty or what the normal operating procedure is but I appreciate your comments

Thanks

Terry
Post #12800166th May 2014 9:23 am
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

My ball had never towed anything yet it was loose in the socket. When I freed off the seized key lock and turned the lever it tightened up. Luckily I never used it to tow anything with it as clearly it was not located properly yet this was not apparent from the lever. If you are going to tow anything with this vehicle just mark it down to experience and accept you are going to spend £250 on a proper bar. Lets face it thats a drop in the ocean compared with what you will spend on repairs after it comes out of warranty. Fantastic car to drive and tow with but not to be run on a ford fiesta budget.
 D4  
Post #12800246th May 2014 9:47 am
Sailterry

Hi gensetsteve

My ball is brand new came with the D3 previous owner bought it but never used it so it's in prestige condition, are you saying forget the LR and buy a new detachable tow bar or have a fixed one. Personally I much prefer to have something that is removable as our towing is leisure maybe 10 times a year but we could be towing every 3 to 5 days if touring ( maybe once or twice a year ) but generally go to a place stay 5 days and return home then do that again in a couple of weeks.

I have firmly pushed the bar into the receptacle and with a clunk everything locks in place seems to be solid until I pull the green lever out but as Gareth a g dog s state it locks once the handle is allowed to return home.

I may get myself a jubilee clip to go over the handle/knob and tighten up just to ensure the handle stays where intended as a safety precaution.

Terry
Post #12800326th May 2014 10:09 am
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

If you use the removable ball for towing a heavy trailer they wear the receptor and then you need a whole new rear cross member. If you fit a fixed bar with side supports most fit in the socket but because they dont move they dont wear the socket. I have heard the LR bar still allows some movement. Having fitted the trust towbar I would not bother with anything else I also have the adjustable drop unit so can tow anything from a tin tent to a compressor.
 D4  
Post #12800456th May 2014 10:28 am
Sailterry

Hi gensetsteve

Tacking on board what you said just ordered Tow Trust TF1 should be with me tomorrow don't want to take a chance. I am sure the LR will be ok but it's just piece of mind especially as I am new to towing.

Actually Tow Trust were very helpful indeed and I got a discount because I mentioned this forum.

Perfect

Terry
Post #12800816th May 2014 12:15 pm
gensetsteve

Good move I think. They paint them well so they dont rust like the rest and the packing is good so they dont get scratched in transit. I fitted mine myself so if you need help let me know the instructions are very good though. You can remove in the future should someone decide they want to use the swan neck again.
 D4  
Post #12801356th May 2014 2:40 pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Hi Steve,

Do you have any pictures or details of the adjustable drop unit that you mention? Can't find anything on the Trust website Confused
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

New D4 BUILD THREAD - Old D3 BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER (over on Def2.net) 

Post #12801416th May 2014 2:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gensetsteve

I think I bought my bar and drop plate from a trust dealer on ebay. There is only one legal approved e11 drop plate on the market but I am sure that is made by trust as well. Its a fair chunk of metal tested for use on 7 tonne trucks aswell. Not sure I would have it fitted just for towing caravans but ideal for plant and 3.5 tonne trailers. I like the way it sticks the ball out so I can see it in my rear view camera which is mounted inside the tailgate glass ( cleaned by the wiper ) Will get a pic
Click image to enlarge

and post it up.
 D4  
Post #12802516th May 2014 6:16 pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Ah, ok thanks. I thought it might be an easy solution for my Sankey, as I already have a selection of DB sliders with different towing equipment on. Doesn't look like it'll be high enough though Sad
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

New D4 BUILD THREAD - Old D3 BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER (over on Def2.net) 

Post #12804646th May 2014 10:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >