Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Nurburgring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Normsdisco4

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Nurburgring

Not sure if this is right place to put this but just wondered if anyone has had their disco round the ring before if so what kind of time did you do?

We had the disco round 4 laps and the quickest lap was 11 mins and that was with 5 in the car. First lap had 6 people in the car and we did it in 11.35 mins.

Rather round of my car. Have had a great time. Did a lap in the ring taxi which was ace and also did a lap on my motorbike which was amazing aswell.

Post #12793864th May 2014 6:15 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

Yep, my time was nearing 20 mins I think Rolling with laughter

Part of a group parade type gig Thumbs Up

I am confident that with my tight bushes and new track ends etc I could blast it round in a time similar to yours if necessary. Grrrrrreat fun Thumbs Up
 Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #12793874th May 2014 6:18 pm
johnnychainsaw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Not sure what time I did it in but did manage to overtake an original mini clubman !

Post #12794954th May 2014 10:11 pm
boyd

United Kingdom 

Sorry to be a buzz kill but for those that read this thread and think 'oh that's a good idea, think ill do that next time I'm in the Eiffel mountains', can I strongly suggest that you read your insurance policies very carefully before doing so.

Although under EU law English underwriters are required to 'cover' all public roads tolled or otherwise there are exceptions in place regarding the nordschliefe to the extent that only 3 underwriters in the whole of the uk 'cover' touristfaharen on the nordschliefe. The rest although will payout to the 3rd party they will quite legally under uk law seek out full reimbursement from the policy holder on their return to the UK. A number of cases of this have turned people from riches to rags, one example of an M5 owner that didn't even crash (engine went and dropped oil) from an unmortgaged 750k house to living in a council house. The underwriters that will fully cover you for 'the ring' are so specific that unless your driving a base spec Clio or fiesta or similar and can basically prove you weren't timing or videoing they won't cover you either.

I myself had been driving the nordschliefe for years (never crashed / made a claim) and slowly every underwriter I used withdrew their cover of the circuit until the point I couldn't find cover anywhere that would actually cover me. I eventually ended up paying a broker to go on the hunt for an underwriter that would cover me and even he drew a blank.

Shocked

If you fancy driving it and don't want to bankrupt yourself, my recommendation would be the likes of Rent4Ring or RSR, shared between a couple of mates it really is quite cheap. Thumbs Up

Post #12799285th May 2014 10:01 pm
A1GSS

England 

Yeah, Boyd is right. All of my policies specifically exclude the 'Ring.
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #12799305th May 2014 10:10 pm
johnnychainsaw

Shocked Glad I didn't know that at the time Thumbs Up

Post #12799465th May 2014 10:59 pm
A1GSS

England 

Shocked
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #12799565th May 2014 11:11 pm
johnnychainsaw

If I'd known I wouldn't have gone round Thumbs Up

Post #12800046th May 2014 8:42 am
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Good info ....

I watched a video think in was on here of everybody crashing going round it .... Shocked

It would be great to do but not in my own car ....

Idea Mmind you sort of skint anyway and not far from the council house option as it is Laughing

Post #12800156th May 2014 9:22 am
johnnychainsaw

It's not something I'd recommend in a Discovery. If I went again I'd hire a track car, they looked like fun I think they were suzuki swifts Thumbs Up

Post #12800216th May 2014 9:43 am
Scarab

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I used to be a member of a local car club and one chap planned for months a trip around the Germany in his 2008 M5 taking in lots of car museums on the way and ending up at the 'ring on the way home.

Got there and paid his money, down the entry ramp, firmly planted his right foot on the go faster pedal and engine went bang. Bits of metal and fluids all over the track, by the time he'd paid for the cleanup and getting his car back to the UK he was out of pocket to the tune of about £3k before he'd even got his car into the garage to be looked at.

He ended up selling his pride and joy in bits for spares as he couldn't afford to have it fixed

Post #12800336th May 2014 10:09 am
A.J.M

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

You can buy ring specific insurance to cover you but it's not cheap!

That does cover your car and any damage to the ring if you have a smash and trash a few barriers etc.

In the same vein, a lot of uk insurance doesn't cover off roading events or green lanes use.

Like everything, you take your chances knowing the risks involved, which is why I have insurance that does cover off road use now. Thumbs Up

Have seen enough videos of people running out of talent on the ring and littering their car over a large area to consider winding back the right foot of ignorance a touch if I went on it.. Laughing
 In loving memory of FA54WSK.

Rest well old friend, your work is done. 

Post #12800486th May 2014 10:36 am
boyd

United Kingdom 

Yes insurance companies exist that follow a similar vein to Trackday insurance coverage but the issue isn't 1st party cover nor cover for track damage as this can only realistically run in 1,000's/10,000's which we all could afford if we absolutely had to.

What I'm talking about is 3rd party coverage, cover for the £2m law suit of the biker that broke his back as you clipped him at 80mph dropping into the Carriola Karussell, or the £350k helicopter ambulance bill you are handed for the Lambo driver you sideswiped attempting to follow the racing line at 90mph through schwalbenschwanz when he's coming up on you as if your stationary.

Or even going back to the M5 example; a written off Porsche GT3, a Porsche GT2 and two rather trick bikes and therefore 4 recovery trucks and then something like 4 ambulances, two helicopter ambulances, a clean up crew, the damaged barrier and not to mention the half a days closure of the track nor the lawsuits that would appear from their health insurance providers. You can see how it can add up to millions all to easily.

Sorry for scare mongering but I believe it's so important that people are aware of the reality before they go. Yes there are lots of people ignorant to it that have a ball in their stag day diamlers or pride of joy cossies but with something like 4 accidents a day on average (can be considerably more on busy English bank holidays) the chances are worryingly high your going to at least come across one let alone cause one.

Post #12800726th May 2014 12:02 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Am i alone in wondering why anyone would actually want to drive a Land Rover round Nurburgring anyway Whistle Whistle Whistle

What are you trying to prove !!!!
Do owners of racing cars like Porsche GT3's etc (Sabina Shmitts current Nurburgring taxi) run them in equivelent off road circuits, drive them through mud and water and test how well they climb steep gradients on loose surfaces.

Can you fit 7 people or a full Size American fridge freezer in a Porshe GT3, i don't think so Whistle

I own a Land Rover because it does exactly what i want it to do far better than any other vehicle there is, and some times getting there at all is much more important than how fast you get there.

IMHO Land Rovers are not designed for racing, they are designed for doing.

And on that score, they always win.

Post #12802686th May 2014 6:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
johnnychainsaw

I think you just contradicted yourself Land Rovers go round the Nurbergring cos they can awell as many many other things. I bought my Discovery because it will do everything I want it too. The day before we went to Germany the disco was pulling over track side trees and delivering firewood. A quick clean and off we went on a weekend road trip. Discovery's are not made for the ring but it was still fun trying ... I rest my case Whistle

Post #12802906th May 2014 7:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >